Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #521
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirvin View Post
I’m having the same experience with mine. This past weekend was in the 90s with high humidity and my fridge (Oct 2019 build - propane/electric. Fridge worked perfectly, kept food cool and made ice cubes in a couple of hours. Fan only ran on propane while on the highway.
The second half of our trip exposed the systemic issue with the Dometic fridge. We dry camped for several days and the fridge never stayed below 40 degrees except early and late in the day and overnight. I think we got lucky that upon leaving home we had everything pre-cooled to 33 degrees in our home fridge along with some ice packs. But as we continued our trip and restocked the fridge with groceries we had to keep rotating the ice packs in and out of our Engel freezer just in an attempt to keep the fridge temps in the upper 30's at best.
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #522
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
Our 2019 BasecampX with a Dometic fridge is performing very well on propane and shore power.
We traveled 2600 miles so far on this trip with daytime temps while driving as high as 96 degrees and the maximum temp reached in the fridge has been 41 degrees after 6 hours on the road traveling at 65 mph. Starting temp is 33 to 34. I use a good digital thermometer that also measure humidity and keep it on the middle shelf. We always follow best practices by packing with cold food and leaving some air space.
The large and fairly loud fan does kick on and stays on until the fridge cools back to the lower 30's but always shuts off well before bedtime and the fridge is basically silent through the night.
We dry camped for several days and the big fan does kick on and off during the day but temps in the fridge stayed in the 30's. We also parked in a friend's driveway for 5 days (in an HOA no less - try that with a 25' Cloud) on shore power in direct sun in hot temps and the big fan cycled on basically the same intervals as it did with propane.
Ours is a September 2019 build date with the redesigned vents and reshaped propane cover but it is still the Dometic fridge. The Norcold arrived in December builds.

Although I reported good results in the first half of our trip, the second half of our trip exposed the systemic issue with the Dometic fridge. We dry camped for several consecutive days and the fridge never stayed below 40 degrees except early and late in the day and overnight. I think we got lucky at the front end of our trip that upon leaving home we had everything pre-cooled to 33 degrees in our home fridge along with some ice packs. But as we continued our trip and restocked the fridge with groceries we had to keep rotating the ice packs in and out of our Engel freezer just in an attempt to keep the Dometic fridge temps in the upper 30's at best. Most of the time the temps were in the 40's. So bring an extra fridge/freezer with you because after my discussion with an Airstream Owner Relations Representative it's obvious that they are committed to this cover up regarding their monumental screw up in designing the Basecamp galley.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #523
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Nova Kool model?

Does anyone know which model Nova Kool is installed in the December 2019 and newer Basecamps?

I contacted Airstream asking for my September 2019 Basecamp to be upgraded to a working fridge but got the runaround from an Owner Relations Representative whose job it is to run interference for Airstream and push the problem off onto their dealer network. They are eager to continue to waste the customers' time and the time of their dealers instead of facing the problem head on.

So in anticipation of multiple 4 hour round trips to my closest dealer who will not be able to fix the problem, it will be less expensive and less frustrating to purchase a Nova Kool and have it installed.

When I asked why if there's no problem with the Dometic, why did you change to the Nova Kool. The response was "it better suits the camping style of the Basecamps". Interesting, because I own a Basecamp!!

It's a cover up and they're sticking to their story.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #524

2017 Basecamp
Westminster , California
Quote:
Does anyone know which model Nova Kool is installed in the December 2019 and newer Basecamps?

I contacted Airstream asking for my September 2019 Basecamp to be upgraded to a working fridge but got the runaround from an Owner Relations Representative whose job it is to run interference for Airstream and push the problem off onto their dealer network. They are eager to continue to waste the customers' time and the time of their dealers instead of facing the problem head on.

So in anticipation of multiple 4 hour round trips to my closest dealer who will not be able to fix the problem, it will be less expensive and less frustrating to purchase a Nova Kool and have it installed.

When I asked why if there's no problem with the Dometic, why did you change to the Nova Kool. The response was "it better suits the camping style of the Basecamps". Interesting, because I own a Basecamp!!

It's a cover up and they're sticking to their story.
I called Novacool and they told me the fridge in the new Basecamps is the R4500. Its Ac/dc...only runs on electric or battery. I have a 2017 Basecamp and still getting the run around with the fridge. My dealer is going to replace it for the second time and we all know that its not going to work on LP on a hot day. It's a ventilation issue but they won't admit it.
TracieWllms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #525
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL
You think they will install the NovaKool if you buy one?
navathehutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #526
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
North east , Pennsylvania
Here is what Im not understanding about Airstreams position.. Your dealer is going to install ANOTHER Dometic Fridge.??
The Nova Kool R4500 is about the same price??
Roughly $1200
The Dometic is aroung $1,000.
??

Here is some info that I have found, maybe useful to some:
Current Dometic Fridge:
Model RM2351RB
Installation cut out Dimensions:
H X W X D
29.75 X 20.5 X 21.5

Nova Kool R4500
H X W X D
28.375 X 20.25 X 21

Unless I am missing something, the Nova Kool units should fit with no alterations. I also found that the instructions to install the Dometic fridge is VERY SPECIFIC ON AMOUNT OF AIR GAP around the cabinet.
Hmmm
Philly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #527

2017 Basecamp
Westminster , California
They are replacing the Dometic Fridge under warranty, so Airstream doesn't have to pay for it, just installation. If they replace it with the NovaKool then they would be on the hook for the cost. This is total bs!
TracieWllms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #528
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by navathehutt View Post
You think they will install the NovaKool if you buy one?
If I pay them. I'm certain that they'll do nothing under warranty except for what has been authorized by Airstream.
I learned when suing Chrysler over a recurring issue with one of the early model Sprinters that once you get in front of a judge a lot of consideration is given to how many opportunities the manufacturer or dealer is allowed to solve the problem. After several failed attempts by two different dealers I went to an independent. He couldn't fix it either but the judge opined that I didn't give the dealers enough chances.
So you have to complain to the dealer every chance you get, over and over, and document each time if you hope to prevail in court. And in our cases, all due to a $1,000 absorption refrigerator that by design uses a heat source to produce energy to cool, and can't cool when it's hot because Airstream did not allow for proper ventilation.
I'm only 7 months into this and have over two years left on the warranty but a lot of the folks in this thread have already been at it for two years or more. How much is their time worth?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #529
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An interesting new thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...mp-199017.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #530
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
I was asked to provide an update on my fridge when i got to the hot weather, so here goes...I’ve now spent around 35 nights in my 2019 BCX with the propane fridge. The most recent 13 days was spent in hot weather (30-35C/85-90+F), mostly on shore power and the fridge performed really well. Actually froze some of my lettuce when the temps were over 90F one day. Fan definitely ran constantly from mid-morning until just after dusk, but otherwise no issues. Will update this thread if there are any changes. Heading out for another 2 weeks shortly. Loving my BCX! I know others have had issues but mine has been flawless so far, other than a small leak in the front centre window, which my dealer fixed quickly.
dgirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #531
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
The most recent 13 days was spent in hot weather (30-35C/85-90+F), mostly on shore power and the fridge performed really well.
. . .
Thanks for the report. Was the front of your trailer in shade during most of this time?

Will you be able to test your fridge in hot weather, when it is using only propane -- with the front of the BC in direct sun? Performance on shore power has been less of an issue IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #532
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL
Quote:
If I pay them. I'm certain that they'll do nothing under warranty except for what has been authorized by Airstream.
I learned when suing Chrysler over a recurring issue with one of the early model Sprinters that once you get in front of a judge a lot of consideration is given to how many opportunities the manufacturer or dealer is allowed to solve the problem. After several failed attempts by two different dealers I went to an independent. He couldn't fix it either but the judge opined that I didn't give the dealers enough chances.
So you have to complain to the dealer every chance you get, over and over, and document each time if you hope to prevail in court. And in our cases, all due to a $1,000 absorption refrigerator that by design uses a heat source to produce energy to cool, and can't cool when it's hot because Airstream did not allow for proper ventilation.
I'm only 7 months into this and have over two years left on the warranty but a lot of the folks in this thread have already been at it for two years or more. How much is their time worth?

You're only 7 months in and you are still bitching about a 1000 dollar refrigerator? Why do you condescendingly respond to me? Here you go: In Iraq we had a limit of starting the auxillary power unit in a black hawk helicopter of 53 degrees celcius.. Guess what: we didnt bitch at 55 degrees celcius we started it up. We didn't post on the forums afraid if it was gonna blow up!

How much time do you waste litigating a company when this is a recreational vehicle for camping not glamping? how much is your time worth litigating instead of outdoors?

Do you adapt and overcome? Come up with a better solution? Or have a stupid response to a simple question in my response. You are a fair weather american and I would hate to be near your presence bitching so much.

Suing chrysler over what 1000 dollars? you could have made 200k in 7 months of bitching? Time is money.. I probably paid for 10 airstream in the time it's been in your head fuming.

How much of your time is worth reading my response? You mad yet? Garbage in , garbage out...

Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #533
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL

for you basecampers! get up!! dust off ! reload ! recalibrate ! re-engage! go out on the attack.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Amen!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #535
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
You're only 7 months in and you are still bitching about a 1000 dollar refrigerator? Why do you condescendingly respond to me? Here you go: In Iraq we had a limit of starting the auxillary power unit in a black hawk helicopter of 53 degrees celcius.. Guess what: we didnt bitch at 55 degrees celcius we started it up. We didn't post on the forums afraid if it was gonna blow up!

How much time do you waste litigating a company when this is a recreational vehicle for camping not glamping? how much is your time worth litigating instead of outdoors?

Do you adapt and overcome? Come up with a better solution? Or have a stupid response to a simple question in my response. You are a fair weather american and I would hate to be near your presence bitching so much.

Suing chrysler over what 1000 dollars? you could have made 200k in 7 months of bitching? Time is money.. I probably paid for 10 airstream in the time it's been in your head fuming.

How much of your time is worth reading my response? You mad yet? Garbage in , garbage out...

I hope you feel better now.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #536
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the report. Was the front of your trailer in shade during most of this time?

Will you be able to test your fridge in hot weather, when it is using only propane -- with the front of the BC in direct sun? Performance on shore power has been less of an issue IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
No problem! Fridge was in direct sun (black plastic propane tank cover on my unit) most of the time. It was on propane during transit and the fan ran continuously. Longest time in transit was 5 hours during middle of the day when it was hot. It also sat in hot parking lots while I was reprovisioning - all on propane. At the campsites it was on shore power. Depending on the evening temps, fan would shut off just after dusk or shortly before midnight.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #537
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:

I'm afraid you entirely misunderstood my response. The short answer to your question is NO.

And my reference to 7 months is that my situation is minor compared to the owners who have been fighting this fridge issue for over two years.

I sued Chrysler over 15 years ago because I purchased a $35K work van, and it had a recurring failure where it wouldn't start and even given a year's time the dealer network could not identify and fix the cause of the problem. It was almost entirely a waste of time because in the middle of the suit, Chrysler declared bankruptcy. I settled with the dealer for $20K

So moving forward from that discussion, I'm dropping our Basecamp X off at a dealer this week. The service manager says he'll need it for two weeks. I'll see what happens.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #538
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
No problem! Fridge was in direct sun (black plastic propane tank cover on my unit) most of the time. It was on propane during transit and the fan ran continuously. Longest time in transit was 5 hours during middle of the day when it was hot. It also sat in hot parking lots while I was reprovisioning - all on propane. At the campsites it was on shore power. Depending on the evening temps, fan would shut off just after dusk or shortly before midnight.
What temperature did you record after the five hour drive? That's where we experience the greatest temperature rise - from 33 degrees up to 49 in only 6 hours on the road. And that was here in the east where it's hot, but not like it is in Moab in August where I have traveled before in an rv with a fridge that worked under those conditions.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #539
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
Quote:
What temperature did you record after the five hour drive? That's where we experience the greatest temperature rise - from 33 degrees up to 49 in only 6 hours on the road. And that was here in the east where it's hot, but not like it is in Moab in August where I have traveled before in an rv with a fridge that worked under those conditions.
It was about 35F after 5 hours of driving. I'm in the east as well. Was on I-90 near Rochester. High humidity, temps in the low 90s. Wanting (needing?) A/C has kept me on shore power for the past month or so at the campgrounds/SPs.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #540
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.

Driving obviates the need for the fridge to self-ventilate from inside the BC IMO, with all that air moving around the propane tank cover at high speeds.

At your next campsite, put the front of the BC in direct sun in 93F weather, and would probably be disappointing IMO.

Peter