Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #581
FMB
Frank

2018 Basecamp
Lexington , Kentucky
Valterra fan last 30 days on 2 D batteries and has on and off switch bought it on Amazon.
FMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #582
FMB
Frank

2018 Basecamp
Lexington , Kentucky
Another RV fridge problem is poor air circulation inside the fridge itself. The ice box gets cold but the rest of the fridge can take a day or more to cool down. It needs a simple fan to circulate the air so I bought the battery powered Valterra fan on Amazon to solve this problem. Appears maybe to be a common RV fridge problem? From the complaints posted I think this is a common problem in the RV world. Why didn’t they build in a fan, should have. An led light would have been nice too but the fan is a must have I think.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #583
FMB
Frank

2018 Basecamp
Lexington , Kentucky
Did Airstream use the wrong term in Advertisements it says “inverter” in manual it says a “converter” charges the battery’s does not mention an inverter to produce AC....seems odd where is the 1,000 watt inverter they advertised? Can anybody explain this?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #584
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMB View Post
Is it a common practice to use propane while in travel mode on the road? My dealer/salesman never explained that you do that.
Hi

Yes it is very normal to run on propane while in motion. The fridges in most trailers work this way. In sub freezing cold, people run the furnace on propane to keep pipes from freezing while in motion.

=====

In a normal Airstream setup, the inverter runs the television / entertainment system and powers a couple of outlets. Nothing else in the typical trailer runs off the inverter. ( = you can't run the microwave on the inverter).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #585
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Arlington Heightsi , Illinois
just propane or butane with propane

My 2019 Basecamp with gas/electric fridge cools better on just propane rather than LP gas (propane with butane).

Poor fridge function appeared the first time I tried and extra inexpensive exchange for LP. LP gas is both propane and butane. Now I have my canisters refilled where I am assured 100% propane rather than exchange for LP gas. Also I get to hang on to nicer canisters .In cold weather propane can be more efficient for heating than butane.

It does take like 6 to 8 hours for the fridge to cool down initially and then seems to stay cool as long as the gas keeps running.

I hope this helps someone's 'frige frustrations as easily as it did mine.

- Dr. T.
TheBlackDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #586
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackDuck View Post
My 2019 Basecamp with gas/electric fridge cools better on just propane rather than LP gas (propane with butane).
That's a great find and one we'll have to test out this spring.

Our dealer just recently replaced the main cooling components, I can't think of the name of the part at the moment, of the fridge on the advice of the fridge manufacturer and AS. They also replaced the black cowling with the traditional AS silver one to allow more airflow.

Seeing as it's the middle of winter we'll have to wait until April in the Southwest to really test out if any of these things fixed the issue.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #587
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
That's a great find and one we'll have to test out this spring.

Our dealer just recently replaced the main cooling components, I can't think of the name of the part at the moment, of the fridge on the advice of the fridge manufacturer and AS. They also replaced the black cowling with the traditional AS silver one to allow more airflow.

Seeing as it's the middle of winter we'll have to wait until April in the Southwest to really test out if any of these things fixed the issue.

For me the nonspecific LP gas did not cool nearly as well as real propane. The canister will say if it is "LP" or "propane."

I've thought of putting a silver metal cover in place of the black plastic on my Basecamp. How did that work out? Could you post a photo? Does it make it easier to change the tanks?

Thanks,

Dr. T.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #588
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Shoreline , The Backroads of My Mind
First I’m a newbie.
W a new 2019 BaseCamp.
On the road since June the Big Loop,out of Seattle, NV, CO and a late spring snow storm as I crossed Vail to the tunnel and down into sunny Denver.
Then zigzagging up to ND, 4th of July in Iowa and the 1st test, weeks in upper 90’s with some in the 103 w heat indexes 115!
How did the little fridge “that could” do?
Realizing it was running, the fan 21 hrs a day cuz I’m not tethered and on 12 volt solar only I bought 8 small reusable ice packs and switch 4 back and forth from freezer down among the items, I lost NO food, had yogurt past the sell date from back in Denver 7 weeks ago. I use half& half all good till the last drop and even veggies.
So if I were on 30app you know it’d be OK.
But what about 2 months in Santa Fe NM? As a “UPSer” PVD first time on shore power, small RV park and winter hits, my low -3, most nights averages 12, longest stretch below freezing 72hrs & change.
Needless to say there were a lot of pipes frozen, and that frigid I could leave it OFF for over 24 hrs at a time to AVOID Freezing veggies, and eggs, no need to switch freezer packs, just leave um and they’d stay icy down in the bottom of the door.
That settled it for me 103 to -3 “ I’m the luckiest guy on the road!
Oh anyone with heater problems? I had one.
After my first deep freeze w ice storm, my Truma Combi controller went OUT, FIZZLED out.
Now I give to Truma, super good CS! Once I got a “ticket” the rep walked me through all the troubleshooting and w patients we got it worked out. I sold him of my urgent need as I had just started into the deep freeze.
He cut the red tape, UPSed me a new display I plugged it in and partied on.
How did I keep from freezing up? Well I was on shore power, I have Dyson Hot/Cold air filter, and kept it cranked up. But some times it’s the little things. Walmart, 350lo 750hi small electric heater, a Vornado. Put it down under in the area where the the Combi sat “shivering” surrounded by small plastic pipe. Set it on low along w the outdoor part of my two piece temperature gauge and put the bed back. I could see the temp and would turn it off and on keeping it between 70&80! Snuggly.
It all seems along time back going into my 8th month, ( over 16,000 miles) doing a little time at Campbell Cove, when I can. The RV parks are, what is the word used here in Lake Havasu City AZ booked?
But with my little home I am also loving it out at Craggy Wash BLM 14 free days at a time, in the sun!
Hey if I’ve gone off Topic I am sorry, it’s 5 o’clock.
SunSet 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #589
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
[QUOTE=SunSet 70;2326399]First I’m a newbie.
W a new 2019 BaseCamp.

"After my first deep freeze w ice storm, my Truma Combi controller went OUT, FIZZLED out."

Love to hear more of your experience in the base-camp in the extreme conditions that you travel. Frozen water? How did you deal with that? Anything break?

I've had trouble with my Trauma controller several times. I found if I left the curbside window open in the rain water ran in and down onto the back of the controller. This put it out of commission until it dried out. Last time it got wet from freezing condensation on the window thawing and dripping and getting the controller wet. I took the controller out to try and dry it as I was cold. In doing so I carelessly broke a pin off the board. I had to order a replacement and the only one I could find was on e-bay from Canada. The new controller has a stubborn push button now.

Who helped you out at Airstream?

Thank,

Dr. T.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #590
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
[QUOTE=TheBlackDuck;2326405][QUOTE=SunSet 70;2326399]First I’m a newbie.
W a new 2019 BaseCamp.

"After my first deep freeze w ice storm, my Truma Combi controller went OUT, FIZZLED out."

Love to hear more of your experience in the base-camp in the extreme conditions that you travel. Frozen water? How did you deal with that? Anything break?

I've had trouble with my Trauma controller several times. I found if I left the curbside window open in the rain water ran in and down onto the back of the controller. This put it out of commission until it dried out. Last time it got wet from freezing condensation on the window thawing and dripping and getting the controller wet. I took the controller out to try and dry it as I was cold. In doing so I carelessly broke a pin off the board. I had to order a replacement and the only one I could find was on e-bay from Canada. The new controller has a stubborn push button now.

Thank,

Dr. T.

I had gone into more detail but lost it when I went to attach this photo.

I’ll rewrite it at some other time.

[/QUOTClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	359898phe beans. Gene reimbursed.

I need to navigate around these threads better.

Not here, Truma did all the heavy lifting, bypassing even requiring my credit card, avoiding the need to reimburse me, and paid for UPS delivery, 4 day but not 2nd day..
Now back to the real problem (s) at hand..
It’s an AirStream design problem and you’re too having the moisture, condensation getting to the board.
Right now I’m in LHC AZ , it’s desert I can boil water for the coffee & tea. Take that shower, cook oatmeal and any soup or chili and NO condensation, so NO dripping into the back of the display unit.
So while I’m sitting it out comfortably, I will at winters end go back the The NW and have the dealership look at this.
I shouldn’t be inconvenienced by this, it’s an AS! So it simply sits on the counter, looking pathetic, but safe from interference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	359898

Till I see what AS will or can do, I’ll remain comfortable.

I’ll also try to keep an eye out for any input on this thread, I’ll not want to

Here in the short of it.

Condensation, poor location = fizzle!

Oh and I’m sure most know, the rule,
Work on winter problems during summertime and summer conditions during winter, I am.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #591
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
[QUOTE=SunSet 70;2326740][QUOTE=TheBlackDuck;2326405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSet 70 View Post
First I’m a newbie.
W a new 2019 BaseCamp.

Thank,

Dr. T.

[/QUOTAttachment 359898phe beans. Gene reimbursed.

Not here, Truma did all the heavy lifting, bypassing even requiring my credit card, avoiding the need to reimburse me, and paid for UPS delivery, 4 day but not 2nd day..
It’s an AirStream design problem and you’re too having the moisture, condensation getting to the board.
Right now I’m in LHC AZ , it’s desert I can boil water for the coffee & tea. Take that shower, cook oatmeal and any soup or chili and NO condensation, so NO dripping into the back of the display unit.
So while I’m sitting it out comfortably, I will at winters end go back the The NW and have the dealership look at this.
I shouldn’t be inconvenienced by this, it’s an AS! So it simply sits on the counter, looking pathetic, but safe from interference.

Attachment 359898

Here in the short of it.

Work on winter problems during summertime and summer conditions during winter, I am.

Sorry for this jumble in my composition.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #592
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Are you posting in Firefox? Check this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ts-182555.html

The extra blank lines in your posts can be edited out if you take the time. [within the 10-minute Edit time window]

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #593
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocIngersol View Post
Hi Basecamp fans,
Roc Ingersol here reporting on refrigerator madness. LOL.
Anyways, I posted several months ago much temperature data/etc. on the refrigerator performance out here in the desert southwest. And the conclusion which I already knew is that the heat load on refrigerator due to poor placement, not proper packaging volume around the unit and too large of refrigerator for the current location, the refrigerator will NOT stay below 45F in 85 – 110F ambient temperatures even with the TSB 172 fix in place.Also, if by chance the refrigerator is at 36F in partial shade, once opened, the temperature cannot recover to safe temperature due to the above factors.
Anyways, I said I was going to replace the unit with a 12V/120V compressor refrigerator, which I did so.
I replaced the unit with an Engel 40 QT refrigerator/freezer combination unit – I can report out as I have camped out twice in 100+ temperatures in full sun and the refrigerator section stays at 36F or lower with controls and the freezer is rock solid cold at about 15F. The refrigerator coupled with the two AGM batteries and the solar panels hardly draws much electricity overnight.Absolutely NO issue with battery drain and running lights/etc.
We decided not to install a left/right hinge 12v fridge as it provide poor ergonomics reaching into the unit so we installed a top lift unit as it is easier to remove items; and also, we can remove the unit and put into our truck and plug into 12v socket if we decide to leave the basecamp for a few days. Also, the unit is elevated for toe clearance and there is plenty of room to remove items from under the sink.I used a Black forest cargo slider with the Engel unit.
I have attached pictures for your interest.
Just for your information, I heavily modified the internal venting and water management where the refrigerator is located. I also removed the black propane cover as I installed 20# tanks, fabricated an aluminum shield, and added drop rails to the exterior (see pictures).
An additional fyi, the floor underneath the refrigerator has a drain – yes a drain – to theoretically drain water if water enters from the front vents – this is stupid. Editorial note to Airstream – fix the real problem – don’t add band aids.But what I have found as water enters through the front vents, collects on the floor it moves across aluminum sheet metal, stapled, to the floor.The staples need to be sealed with silicone so water can translate to the drain in the compartment.What actually happens, is water also seeps into the staple holes and seeps underneath the wood out to the exterior of the floor in front of the refrigerator.Anyways, thought you should know.
So, I am very happy now with the basecamp and with this forum as I think have prevented all the issues folks have been reporting before problems occur.
Best Regards,
Roc Ingersol

I feel bad for you having to go through so much work.

I think you should have tried using Real Propane not LP gas blend first.

My fridge does not cool well on cheap LP but stays cold on propane.

I had water near my fridge also. Was running from the ceiling the vent fan, under the ceiling, down the front window, and under the counter.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #594
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Grand Rapids , MI
Quick Question

I am an extreme newbie. Have not even picked up my 2019 Basecamp x yet. How long will the fridge run on propane if running it 24/7? Maybe the better question is how long will the tanks hold out?
JMT2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:57 PM   #595
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT2015 View Post
I am an extreme newbie. Have not even picked up my 2019 Basecamp x yet. How long will the fridge run on propane if running it 24/7? Maybe the better question is how long will the tanks hold out?

Weeks!

If using real propane (not blended LP gas) and you are in moderate temperatures.

Anyone would have to guess and that is my best guess.

I've never traveled without using either hot water, furnace heat, or stove which all consume gas. I have let the fridge run at home days on end without running the gas out.

The furnace is a different story. If you are dealing with 40 degrees or so and above the gas last days (not a week). If it is below freezing cold I can run through a tank in a day. But I keep warm!

My gas fridge works great all the time.

I hope that helps.

- Dr. T.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #596
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Grand Rapids , MI
Thank you

That is exactly what I was looking for. TY
JMT2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #597
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
fix

" So it simply sits on the counter, looking pathetic, but safe from interference.

I'll send ya one of these to keep it dry. Let me know if you have this problem.

- Dr. T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2516.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	362428  
Old 03-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #598
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Solution

[QUOTE=SunSet 70;2326740][QUOTE=TheBlackDuck;2326405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSet 70 View Post
First I’m a newbie.
W a new 2019 BaseCamp.

Thank,

Dr. T.

[/QUOTAttachment 359898phe beans. Gene reimbursed.

Attachment 359898

Here in the short of it.

IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM SEE MY POST:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f40...on-206310.html
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #599
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Frige

Looks like the slow cool Propane fridge is replaced with a 12 volt compressor in 2020 models. I like my gas fridge but find it necessary to 1. use real propane, start cooling 24 hours before you need it. 3. Try to put cold stuff in and understand if you put warm stuff it may take a day to cool back down.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra..._hsmi=82040060

- Dr. T.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #600

2020 16' Basecamp
Ojai , California
Fridge issues, 2019 BasecampX

I purchased the 2019 basecamp in 2018 and believe the fridge (propane & 120V) was upgraded to add 12v later in 2019.
Fridge cooling; I have had problems with the fridge since purchase, mainly in the summer. The first issue was an extremely loud fan noise level causing me to check the fridge temperature regularly. The thermometer installed, found the fridge falling in an unsafe 50-degree range at times. I found that the fridge temperature can be maintained in the heat by placing bags of ice and a small fridge fan in the fridge, making sure to allow adequate clearance from fins and not overpacking the fridge. Unfortunately, I was not able to address the issues with Airstream and out of warranty.
PJBellows is offline   Reply With Quote