Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Heber city , Utah
Resale Value?

I really love the Basecamp! I'm new to trailer camping and have done a lot of research. I feel like it's the one for me and I really want to swipe right!! But I haven't pulled the trigger because of the price tag.

I've been looking at less expensive ($17k-$20k) small travel trailers for my first purchase, but I just can't get excited about any of them. Swipe left!!

Does anyone have any insight regarding resale value of a Basecamp? If I did commit and our relationship didn't work out, what are my options?

Thanks for your input! ~Jen
SnoDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
IMO you won't see them at $20k for a few years. But betting they will depreciate faster than the regular models.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Nobody knows how well a new model will "hold up" in the market. In 10 or 20 years we'll have some data to go by

Best guess is that the "dealer price" will drop by 10 or 20% over a couple of years compared to the "dealer sell price" On the trailer. What happens on. a private sale will always be a bit more than that. Best guess is that a dealer will pay you 10 to 20% less than they will re-sell the trailer for. If that's a big vague, that's the way this stuff works.

The big unknown is how fast (or how slow) the price of new trailers will ramp up. If they go up at 10% per year ... good for you. If they go up at 3% per near ... not so good. Like it or not, the price of used cars, trucks, or trailers to some degree tracks the price of the same model sold new.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Heber city , Utah
Thanks!

Thanks for confirming what I suspected... It's a bit of a guessing game at this point. Maybe some risks might be worth taking in the pursuit of happiness and I should get out of my own way.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Swipe smart - first look a lot more. Consider a Casita, Scamp, Meercat, T@G/T@B or similar. If you chose well, you will have a coach to learn on that will depreciate less than a BC. Talked to a Lady with a Mypod. She loved it - really. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Heber city , Utah
Thanks, Pat!

So helpful! #SwipeSmart Best. Advice. Ever.

I initially had my heart set on a T@b. They're so cute! But I'm 6' tall, and I just can't stand upright in one! Super bummer. I keep trying to convince myself I'll be fine hunching over.... except I won't. I know it will ruin my experience.

I'll check out the other models you mention. I've been looking at Rpods and Winnie Minnie's.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hi Snodaisy,

I like the BaseCamp too. Actually better than the Interstates for interior space. That said, I would ponder it all. I know that when I was looking I was sold on a new Flying Cloud RB twin. I had only seen new Airstreams and knew nothing else in the make/model. Then someone said the magic word- used. I ended up with a Safari RB twin and really like it.

What I am saying is that sometimes the idea of how you might camp broadens to include different considerations with other options. I would recommend that you look at Bambi Airstreams (the smaller ones 22 feet or less) especially used. They hold their value well (already established) as they are less of a niche design. There is a 2008 20' at my local dealer. These offer a really nice space and great feature set. They may/may not work for you.

The ONLY drawback is that they have a heavier tongue weight so you would need something with more towing capacity to get it around. BTW, the dealer told me that the best selling Airstreams now are the Sport models- 16 and 22 foot. The 22 foot models sell before they arrive he said.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Look at the T@B. It is bigger, comes is several floor plans and used too.
The R-pod is a winner for lots of folks.
Look at listings in classifieds - older BC and Bambi for sale.

Can't stand - it's a valid issue. At 6'-4", I have that problem a lot. Had a boat that only allowed me to stand with head bowed. The other advantages made it a great boat. An open mind helps develop good experience. However, to thine own self be true. Know what it takes to satisfy your lifestyle.

Review storage. Short enough for a garage helps considerably. Light weight is easier to tow. Use existing vehicle is less expensive that tow specific purchase. Used, less expensive than new.

Good luck in your search. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Heber city , Utah
This Forum Is Amazing!

I was so reluctant to post! Thank you for providing so many insights.

My tow vehicle (that I don't plan to upgrade) is a Toyota FJ Cruiser. My garage is door opening is only 8' tall.

Is anyone familiar with my local Park City Basecamp owner? I've seen his posts, but can't recall his forum ID. He might be some help.

Casitas might be an option! I'm currently down that rabbit-hole researching online. Though Airstreams have my heart for sentimental reasons. #SwipeSmart

Must-haves... 6'+ interior height and wet-bath. Ready.. Go!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Heber city , Utah
I did love the Bambi when I visited the dealership! Actually more than the Basecamp. But the new price tag for a Bambi is even more hard to swallow.

Used = option to explore. For sure!

I stalk the Airstream classifieds. Is there any other place I should bookmark?

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the Bambi(s) work for you then start shopping They have been in production for a *long* time. Spend a while going over the threads on the forum to come up to speed on buying a used trailer. Be ready with the money when you find one you like. The good ones don't sit around for long ....

There is the very basic new / used question. Only you can decide how that impacts your decision. A two year old trailer is not very used (and pretty expensive). A twenty year old trailer is much less expensive ....

Bob
Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Covington , Washington
I am also on the edge of a BC purchase. It (the BC) is too tall for my garage so it would sit outside when not used, but the BC is designed supposedly for the weather. The other option is a Aliner a frame pop up camper. It is half the cost of the BC and would fit in my garage. Either would be an improvement over tenting or sleeping in the back of my pickup. My TV is a F150 but in the future we have a BMW X3 diesel.

As I will be going over mountain passes the bigger airstreams are out of the selection. I am talking about forest service road mountain passes. The BC weight is still a concern.

The idea of the sealed roof of the Basecamp is extremely a positive factor as Washington winters are wet!

My SO would also be more inclined to camp again with a BC vs the Aliner per her comments.

Any comments are appreciated. Cheers.
D
WAcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAcamper View Post
I am also on the edge of a BC purchase. It (the BC) is too tall for my garage so it would sit outside when not used, but the BC is designed supposedly for the weather. The other option is a Aliner a frame pop up camper. It is half the cost of the BC and would fit in my garage. Either would be an improvement over tenting or sleeping in the back of my pickup. My TV is a F150 but in the future we have a BMW X3 diesel.

As I will be going over mountain passes the bigger airstreams are out of the selection. I am talking about forest service road mountain passes. The BC weight is still a concern.

The idea of the sealed roof of the Basecamp is extremely a positive factor as Washington winters are wet!

My SO would also be more inclined to camp again with a BC vs the Aliner per her comments.

Any comments are appreciated. Cheers.
D
Hi

Storing any vehicle indoors is better than storing it outdoors. No vehicle will disintegrate immediately in a year or three. One with canvas involved will degrade faster than one that is all metal. Plastic and rubber are somewhere in-between. On an AS (of any sort) the issues of outdoor storage are pretty predictable. Keep on top of the sealants and gaskets to stay happy.

Bob
Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
FaceBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDaisy View Post
I did love the Bambi when I visited the dealership! Actually more than the Basecamp. But the new price tag for a Bambi is even more hard to swallow.

Used = option to explore. For sure!

I stalk the Airstream classifieds. Is there any other place I should bookmark?
Thank you!
If you are on FB, take a look at the Airstream Hunter page. Tons of AS for sale there.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDaisy View Post
I really love the Basecamp! I'm new to trailer camping and have done a lot of research. I feel like it's the one for me and I really want to swipe right!! But I haven't pulled the trigger because of the price tag.

I've been looking at less expensive ($17k-$20k) small travel trailers for my first purchase, but I just can't get excited about any of them. Swipe left!!

Does anyone have any insight regarding resale value of a Basecamp? If I did commit and our relationship didn't work out, what are my options?

Thanks for your input! ~Jen
Here is what I'd suggest. Read the forum thread on the Basecamp 'issues', then buy a lesser expensive small trailer for your first purchase and hope AS clears up all the 'issues' with the Basecamp in the future.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote