Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Ground clearance

I think this issue may have been discussed in a few threads, but I honestly think it needs its own title. This is supposed to be a trailer that will take you off the beaten path, yet the ground clearance looks to be as low, or lower than any other Airstream.

I think it's a great trailer, and I've seen it in person. I'm pretty close to buying one, but I just can't get over the ground clearance issue. On a gravel road where the center of the trail is high, will it drag? The pipes look so very, very low to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenSnapz010.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	275337  
Ontario1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
I think the tank drain fittings are 4-5 inches off the ground at rest. They are also fairly close to the left wheel.

With respect to your concern, two things come to mind for me. Many tow vehicles are going to have under carraige gear hanging 4-5 imches above the ground and the proximity of the drain valve to the rear wheel should reduce the likelihood of contact as the wheel climbs up sloping obstacles.

Obviously, more abrupt larger obstacles like rocks, etc. could be problematic, but there's a pretty good chance that the tow vehicle would make contact before the trailer would. That kinda presents the proposition, "Am I in the wrong place, in the first place".

We have ordered one and I am fine with the ground clearance.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
One of the lowest clearance vehicles is the 2011 mini at 4.8 inches, by the time you get to a Honda fit it's 6.7 inches, most TVs would not have something hanging that low, counting the "pumpkin" doesn't work, in general, as it goes up and down with the wheels.
The plumbing is a concern as it is before the axle and would be ripped off going over some speed bumps, before the wheel ever lifted it going over it. Speed bumps range in height from 3-6 inches
Of course going "off-road" a good rock could hit and damage anything
Those who praise it for being towable behind a car, probably won't be going off pavement enough to be concerned. But those who buy one to pull with their Jeep, should certainly be concerned.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
I think the tank drain fittings are 4-5 inches off the ground at rest. They are also fairly close to the left wheel.

With respect to your concern, two things come to mind for me. Many tow vehicles are going to have under carraige gear hanging 4-5 imches above the ground and the proximity of the drain valve to the rear wheel should reduce the likelihood of contact as the wheel climbs up sloping obstacles.

Obviously, more abrupt larger obstacles like rocks, etc. could be problematic, but there's a pretty good chance that the tow vehicle would make contact before the trailer would. That kinda presents the proposition, "Am I in the wrong place, in the first place".

We have ordered one and I am fine with the ground clearance.
Would love to read a post or three from you after you take delivery and have some experience using your Basecamp.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
We will be happy to do that.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
But those who buy one to pull with their Jeep, should certainly be concerned.
Ya, I have a Nissan Frontier. It has pretty good ground clearance. I'd like to know that the trailer could follow in it's path, but I don't think that is reasonable anymore.

I like the notion of "Am I in the wrong place, in the first place". Never though of it that way.

Still debating whether the Basecamp is right for me.
Ontario1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
I own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has an air suspension system with capability to lower to an Aero mode for freeway, normal for around town and two off road settings, one if which jacks the bidy up high enough that you need to look twice before getting out of the vehicle.

The reality is that, no matter how high I set the body, I can always find rocks that will contact some part of the under carriage. It's similar to the logic controlling back pack size and use; if you get a bigger pack, you will fill it with more stuff. As it applies to vehicles traveling off road, if you raise the body, you are likely to try to traverse more risky passages and hear a loud clunk or scrape.

I spend time in off road desert �� travels. I know where I can and cannot go. I have absolutly no misgivings about the Basecamp we ordered.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Bborzell, I meant no offense to your choice. I love the design of the basecamp and although I liked the first one more, to me it had much better use of the windows, I wish they could have configured the bathroom differently in the new one.

To me the biggest thing is that someone looking to purchase one KNOW what they are getting, which you clearly do.

My question about the design of the trailer, is more so, why on the first trailer they offer 18" wheels (one would think for more capability), would they then configure below the body so half hazardously, I wish they would have been more able to include the tanks within the frame and a side or rear drain design to keep the bottom flat, clean and as high as possible.

I would also be concerned with the drag guards on the back, depending upon the strength of the materials used, they appear as though they would either bend upon first strike (gas stations in my area) or else they might damage the belly skin. I would much rather see a decent replaceable wedge design ABS material, that would lift the rear if contacted as opposed to, looking like, snagging. Lots of cargo trailers come with them.

I look forward to hearing honest reviews from those that get them and use them for their advertised purpose.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Mrs. Kenmore and I ordered a BC and expect delivery early next year. I was looking closely at the ground clearance issue as well. We plan to use ours on the beaches here in NY. Unfortunately, the sand here can be soft. The beach where we plan on going is on the eastern end of Long Island (Montauk County Park). I've seen a wide array of trailers on the beach there. I will post our findings once we take delivery!!!! We are very excited.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
There are design choices that leave some satisfied and others, not so much. The placement of the tanks allows 6'4" or so head room in the coach. Considering the totality of our use of a Basecamp, having more ground clearance would be valuable for a very small percentage of our usage. Having more room in the coach is worthwhile constantly. There are always tradeoffs.

The wheelie skids on the back might actually be over kill as the up slope, as it exists, looks adequate for driveways or gutters. Our driveway is steep and it intersects the street at a pretty aggressive angle. My measurements of the rear of the Basecamp leave me comfortable knowing that I can enter and leave our driveway and that I am unlikely to inadvertently attempt a transition that I know to be risky (we previously had a Class C MH with a very long rear overhang that restricted the use of a motorcycle carrier in the rear receiver because the carrier would contact the driveway upon entry and exit).

Knowing limitations will go a long way toward being able to get satisfactory useage out of this trailer. And, as I see it, the capabilities of the Basecamp far outweigh any perceived limitations.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Just a question; is it possible to install a lift kit on a BC like some of us have done on our AS Dexter axles?
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
My own problem with the current basecamp design is the lower body utility doors do not appear to be waterproof; so if you do go 4x4 and ford unimproved streambeds, you risk flooding of critical components.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Can't really compare ground clearance of TV and BC. A TV has wheels dispersed at the corners that keep the wends up. A trailer pivots over center axle so the front and rear can pivot significantly downward in ways the TV won't. This leaves the BC very prone to bottoming both front and rear with its low ground clearance.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
OldGreyMare

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1962 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Honolulu , Hawaii
Ground clearance LIFT?

Hi all, I'm new to forums. I've got a clearance question, but not about the BC, hope it's the right place to list it here. I've a 2010 23' FB Flying Cloud, love it. Spent most of my considerable time with her on the east coast, not so much rough road time. Now I'm in the South West, more boondocking opportunities, and the low clearance of my black water in particular is an issue, I knocked it off twice this last trip...I only have 14" wheels, part of the problem? Can I use bigger wheels and/or can I lift the under carriage and how? thanks, and if I'm in the wrong place can you let me know where I might go to find answers to my puzzle? Thanks
eastendmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendmary View Post
Hi all, I'm new to forums. I've got a clearance question, but not about the BC, hope it's the right place to list it here. I've a 2010 23' FB Flying Cloud, love it. Spent most of my considerable time with her on the east coast, not so much rough road time. Now I'm in the South West, more boondocking opportunities, and the low clearance of my black water in particular is an issue, I knocked it off twice this last trip...I only have 14" wheels, part of the problem? Can I use bigger wheels and/or can I lift the under carriage and how? thanks, and if I'm in the wrong place can you let me know where I might go to find answers to my puzzle? Thanks
Troutboy did a nice write-up on lifting his 23D on a thread titled: Dexter Lift Kit on 2017 Flying Cloud 23D and Explore More has a YouTube video on his project. These are 23D models and it would be a little different on a 23FB. I have a Dexter lift kit in the garage and trying to find someone to install or help me with it. I installed a lift kit on our 19'Bambi but not too enthused about doing it on the 23FB.

The first thing you would have to do is see what model Dexter axle you have. I suspect it is a #10 but you can confirm by noting the number on the axle and calling Dexter so they can tell you which kit you need.

Certainly upgrading from 14" to 15" tires and wheels would help. Read the 23D thread on this as posted by various members.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
OldGreyMare

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1962 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Honolulu , Hawaii
Letting go

Thank you Steamy1 for your response. I think my best solution, for the way I intend to camp is to look for a smaller unit, your 19' Bambi is exactly what I want, and then I can lift that one, and sell my beloved 23'FB. Sometimes we just need to let go...:-)
eastendmary is offline   Reply With Quote