Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Question Base Camper? To be or not to be...

My wife and I have been interested in the Basecamp since my sister emailed us a picture last year and I looked into it. Actually, I was interested in it, and my wife gave me the 'whatever' look. But, secretly she'd been looking into it, and when we stopped at an Airstream dealer here in Canada they had a left over brochure. After she took a better look at it, she though it would be just the trick for us.

So, they can't get any more in Canada as no dealers have any, and no one wants to go through the hassle of finding a leftover one in the USA. I've found one leftover 2007 - new and stored inside, for just under $13K. I couldn't believe it myself when the fellow emailed the quote, but this is from a large Airstream dealer and is legit. He is sending photos tomorrow.

My question(s) are... I see very little on this forum as far as Basecamp chat from actual owners... is there anything in the way of factory change-up or problem areas I should have them fix before I pick it up? Are these still supported from the factory in terms of parts or repair? What exactly is the warranty on these?

I know people here might have more money and not be interested in these little trailers... but this is a pretty big deal for my wife and I. It will be a real gong-show to try get it back home... and to try find a good hauler (or take 2 weeks off to go get it!).

This one seems to have some nice options, but I might try find the tent for it as well... around here, the idea of a bear-resistant sleeping quarters is very appealing, but some other places maybe the tent will work.

As far as the rear ramp/door... when it is up, can you still get in and out? Or do you have to lower it? I can't figure out that whole back door arrangement no matter how many pictures I look at.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this if you're here... this little corner of the forum doesn't seem too busy...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think the rear door must be opened. I would love to have a Basecamp to tow behind my Interstate! jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Here's a link to some more pics 2008 Airstream BaseCamp TERRIFIC $7,104 PRICE REDUCTION= '08 MULTI-USE TRAILER One pic shows the ramp/steps down and the doors open. It would stay down when you are inside the camper, with doors closed. There is one with the door open and the ramp up. It appears that the ramp is level when the doors are closed. You would have to be careful getting in and out without lowering the ramp.
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
Basecamp Experience

My wife and I got one of the 1st ones in the Houston Texas area. Haven't been able to use it as much as we'd like...work related mostly.

Initiall, leaks around the dorr seals was persistant. Dealer had little if any experience with Basecamps. They did replace all the seals and so far so good. The rear doors need to be braced open. Airstream has a small kit that can be added to prop them open

If parked in direct sunlight (especially Texas on hot days), the skylight or whatever you call it let's alot of heat through. It has a removable screen but it kept falling off. My wife took a piece of silver backed tarp and cut to size and mounted with velcro...works great. We did the same thing over the ceiling intake/exhaust fan.

The steps are a challenge when you want to close yourself in. Someone on the forums rigged up a pulley for just that purpose. I may do the same thing myself.

We have the tent and have used it each time we've camped. It's a great add on for extra accomodations, storing coolers and we keep a small table and chairs in their for dining inside if necessary. Easy to put up and take down.

My wife uses the sink and sometimes the top burner, but we mostly grill out on a portable coleman. The seal around the sink base seperated, but the dealer fixed it ok. Two 3 gallon containers under the sink.

Some rivets poped, and dealer repaired. I'll probably get me a small rivet gun to do it myself in the future. It hasn't happend since.

The AC is ok if in the shade. If in direct hot sun, it has to work at max.

My wife made a pad for the bed and that improved sleeping, but I'm 6'1' so I just fit, and find myself a bit sidways to stretch out.

Towing is no problem. I've got a GMC Envoy with an in line six and it's no problem. I also loaded a 800+ lb motorcycle in the BC (tight fit) and she towed just fine. Might strain a bit in mountains, but in the Texas Hill Country she cruised easily.

We get a lot of people stopping by to check it out. Makes for great way to meet folks.

Any other specific questions and I'll share what I know.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Edsel Alert

They don't make these any more, but I've heard from a few people who really like them - they are purely designed to be toy haulers, motorcycle or ATV...

For about the same money, I'd buy a Casita (looks like a fiberglass mini-airstream).

I'd get REALLY aggressive about price. However I notice you're in Canada, so north of the border that may be a much better price than I'm thinking it is in US dollars.

Paula
Old 01-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Basecamp?

Hi, for what it is, I think it could be a nice little trailer. I think the Basecamp was just too over priced, but for $13,000.00 I think you will get your monies worth. Who knows, down the road it may be a sought after trailer. I worked at a Ford dealer when the last Ranchero's were made; It was a long time and a hard sell to get rid of these discontinued vehicles. After they were all gone, human nature kicked in, and many people wanted them. The main thing is, if you want one and the price is right, do it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
It will be a real gong-show to try get it back home... and to try find a good hauler (or take 2 weeks off to go get it!).

I can't comment on the Basecamp, having never seen one in person, but just wanted to comment on your "gong-show" comment. The only other person I know who uses this term is a friend who lives in Calgary - is this a West Coast thing?

(sorry for the little hijack... and now back to our regularly scheduled Basecamp programming)
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Did you never see the television show "The Gong Show". Maybe it's an age thing rather than regional.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
To the original poster, there are a few options out there that might be easier to get closer to home. One that comes to mind is a Trillium. These are similar to the old Bolers and are being manufactured in Calgary. I think their base price starts at $14000 CDN. Do you regularly come South? Perhaps you can find a used Airstream that suits your needs, for a better price?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
I'm originally from Saskatchewan, moved to BC about 5 years ago. I wasn't aware of 'gong show' not being a universal term - but now that I think of it, I guess it might be older pop culture.

As far as the Basecamp vs. a horse trailer (etc), I guess I am looking for something unique and practical. The BC fits the 'unique' condition very well, and from what we intend to use it for (camping with 2 small motor bikes in the back) it is also practical. I've priced out a hot shot hauler and they can get it to me for around $3000... but I might be able to find a better deal. Anyone want to tow a trailer from Nevada to BC? It's probably a good 3 day haul one-way...

If we don't get it delivered, it will be picked up as part of a grand tour of Utah and Colorado... then back home...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
An opportunity not to let go of

Friday, I'll probably never get the opportunity to ask this question again of someone in Telegraph Creek.

When we took the Cassier Hwy in '02, I read about the road to Telegraph Creek and decided not to go there, partly because of time, partly because the explanation of the road sounded frightening, though I know a lot of tour books try to scare people because they assume the worst driver in the world is reading the book. Is the road really that bad? Could someone tow a 25' trailer to your town?

Back to Basecamp. They couldn't sell these. Whether there just wasn't a market, or because there was something fundamentally wrong I don't know. I thought the price was very high for the kind of person who would want something like it. But with the price lower and the right person (you), it could be just the perfect thing.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Friday, I'll probably never get the opportunity to ask this question again of someone in Telegraph Creek.

When we took the Cassier Hwy in '02, I read about the road to Telegraph Creek and decided not to go there, partly because of time, partly because the explanation of the road sounded frightening, though I know a lot of tour books try to scare people because they assume the worst driver in the world is reading the book. Is the road really that bad? Could someone tow a 25' trailer to your town?

Back to Basecamp. They couldn't sell these. Whether there just wasn't a market, or because there was something fundamentally wrong I don't know. I thought the price was very high for the kind of person who would want something like it. But with the price lower and the right person (you), it could be just the perfect thing.

Gene
The road from Dease Lake to Telegraph Creek is unique and scenic - but not impossible. Every week a 53 foot freight truck makes the trip to the local store, even in some sketchy winter roads. There are sections with 20% grades, and in the Talhtan and Tuya River canyons, sections that are 1 lane (well, 1 1/2 lane). The road is a good gravel road and is well maintained - quite smooth, but sometimes slippery when wet. It's hard to describe, but even when it is bad, it doesn't take much longer than when it is good - as the speed is more limited by the corners than the condition of the road...

It's about 112km (70 miles) and it takes me 1 1/2 hours in good weather. Not too bad. A 25 foot trailer with a decent tow vehicle would have no issues... with a crappy tow vehicle, you'd just have to take it easy.

The Stikine/Tahltan/Tuya rivers carve some amazing scenery... sort of a 1/4 scale Grand Canyon. The best views are if you get a jet boat and go fora tour... amazing! There isn't a ton of excitement here, which is more why people don't make the trip. But, if you love a very quiet and remote camp, with excellent fishing and lots of backcountry, then it is perfect. There is a store/gas station in town with all the essentials.

Back to the Basecamp... I bought it today. The dealer insisted on me seeing the photos before he sold it, and he sent them today. It's pretty much... a Basecamp... no surprises. I gave him my credit card 5 minutes later. It's got some nice options... the rack, lower protector, A/C... what can I say... it's shiny and clean!

We were ready to spend around $20K for the right one, so the deal on this one, even though it's an 07, was too good to pass up. He said it has 2 years warranty, but we live 2000 miles from the nearest dealer, so I don't know how that will work... maybe if we have trouble they will send parts? I can't see there is too much to go wrong.

Now... to find a good brake controller for the Tacoma... it's already got the harness, so I just have to wire it to a controller and plug it in!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Friday, thanks for the info on the road. I am always intrigued by remote towns and challenging drives. Our last trip to Canada took us to Inuvik (no trailer then) by SUV and Tuktoyaktuk by plane. I have no idea when we will be nearby and what we will do, but it would be fun to see two Airstreams in Telegraph Creek. I've read about the Stikine R. and was intrigued also. How may RV campgrounds are there with full hookups? Ha!

Congratulations on your new Basecamp. How are you going to get it? You may have to work out something with the warranty folks in Jackson Center. I think Dave may be able to work out something because arrangements have been made before for people in remote locations.

Gene
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Victoria , British Columbia
Basecamp on Vancouver Island

Hello Friday,

My wife and I live in Victoria, BC, and have a 2007 Basecamp that we use for camping with two Yamaha trail bikes. We bought the trailer new in March 2008 from Holiday Trailer, the Airstream dealer in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and towed it back to Canada. Our tow vehicle is a 1999 VW Eurovan Camper with the VR6 engine. The Basecamp tows well, and reduces our van mileage by only about 5 mpg, to 17 mpg.

So far our Basecamp has been great, and we love it. We have also used it several times as a utility trailer loaded with household goods for our move from Edmonton to Victoria (still in progress!). It is a great multi-purpose trailer, and based on your first post, Judy and I think you made the right choice!

What is your tow vehicle? We’ll keep an eye out for you on our travels. If you’re ever in Victoria, drive down to Fisherman’s Wharf and look for the white VW Eurovan Camper in the parking lot. That will be us. Leave a note on the windshield with your phone or email and with luck we’ll get together for a glass of wine with you on our float home at the Wharf.

Good luck with your new Basecamp!

Best regards,
Dennett
Dennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi Friday,
Now that summer is here, how have you liked camping in your BC? Did you have much trouble crossing the border? Was it a Gong Show? (I grew up in Ontario and now live in SK and still use the term....child of the 70s!) Curious about your experience.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
You made the right choice and your timing is perfect.
What is your number? (last two digits of the Vin)
I have a 2007 Basecamp that I bot feb. 08 for 14K.
I have made a number of modifications on mine, the biggest one
is the portable table made out of a no parking sign.
Remember the Edsel wasn't popular either and a pristine one today
is very valuable. Enjoy it for what it is, popularity is for those that
are insecure!
If you have any questions?
Bizcamp
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A basecamp is a lot better looking than an Edsel.

Gene
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I would like to see your table/no parking sign. Pictures please.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Per the table, I've got some photos on my laptop, I'll try to upload this weekend.

Bizcamp
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
I have uploaded the first pictures...over on basecampmods.
Bizcamp

Tags
basecamp