Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Basecamp on the road tonight!

OK, we haven't been using the BC that much for actual camping since we bought our Argosy, but it's a GREAT addition for our astronomy outings. We load up the BC with a Coleman RoadTrip gas grill, pop-up awnings, coolers, and small tables, and the BC REALLY becomes a true base camp for our all night observing sessions. We're heading out this evening for Coyle Field in the Jersey Pine Barrens. The Stellarvue telescopes are in the truck, and Liz is putting the final touches on her pasta salad as I type. About a half dozen guys from our astronomy club will be meeting us there just before dark for a cook out and long night under the stars. Life is GOOD!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We had our second big trip with the Basecamp, and it has its ups and downs for sure. The first trip, my wife and her friend caught a rock and blew the front window out... into a million pieces (still finding pieces in the trailer). We STILL haven't received the replacement, and I have no idea if I will be able to replace it myself, as it is glued in somehow. I am 600 miles from the closest glass shop... if you are wondering why the big deal...We still have major issues with the rear doors letting dust in... Airstream wants to fix it... but we are 2000+ miles from the closest dealer they recommend to do such a big repair... yikes.But, other than that... we're having a good time with it, enjoying the comforts of an air conditioned trailer when it is 110 outside...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Is Coyle Field part of Macquire AFB,NJ? If it is I made quite a few military parachute jumps there in the 80's.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
Is Coyle Field part of Macquire AFB,NJ? If it is I made quite a few military parachute jumps there in the 80's.
Coyle is actually an old Forest Service airfield, though it is close to the AFB. The AF uses it as a drop zone for training missions on a pretty regular basis. A couple of weeks back, we were setting up for a night of observing when a flight of 3 C-130s came in from the east at about 1200 feet with the ramps down. Sure enough, the sky was soon filled with paratroopers!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 08-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
We had our second big trip with the Basecamp, and it has its ups and downs for sure. The first trip, my wife and her friend caught a rock and blew the front window out... into a million pieces (still finding pieces in the trailer). We STILL haven't received the replacement, and I have no idea if I will be able to replace it myself, as it is glued in somehow. I am 600 miles from the closest glass shop... if you are wondering why the big deal...We still have major issues with the rear doors letting dust in... Airstream wants to fix it... but we are 2000+ miles from the closest dealer they recommend to do such a big repair... yikes.But, other than that... we're having a good time with it, enjoying the comforts of an air conditioned trailer when it is 110 outside...
Losing one of the front windows is my biggest fear with the Basecamp. What have you been using to keep it dry since losing the glass?

TAC - NJ-007

Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Well... we cut a piece of cardboard about the same size, wrapped it in garbage bags, and duct-taped the whole thing to the front. I am now in the process of building some type of pads for the front... and also have purchased an attachment called the 'Bow Buddy'. Google it for photos... it has been working great for keeping rocks off the BC...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote