Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Robert is right. I have little or no confidence in the dealer at this time. I'm not even sure of their "status". Checking the Airstream website for dealers in Vermont shows NONE. Yet, I got a warranty with Airstream, right?

Will another dealer do warranty work at no cost?
Is repairing scratches caused by one dealer considered a warranty item? I would think it could only be fixed by the dealer that caused it... which I don't want.

I think I may have to call Airstream. I don't mind driving to Jackson Center, or a dealer closer (NJ, ME, MA). Just want to get everything fixed and I can't afford any costly repairs at this time.

We had a frost last night. Dropped to the upper 20's. This morning I noticed a few white bubbles along the seams. Is this the clear coat coming off? Maybe they did pressure wash it for us as well as scrubbing. We've had this trailer for two weeks. I checked earlier photos and the white spots were not there. I need another Pepcid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKIN01.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	141877   Click image for larger version

Name:	SKIN02.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	141878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SKIN03.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	141879   Click image for larger version

Name:	SKIN04.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	141880  

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Your trailer has clearcoat(just like your car) sprayed over the aluminum to protect it .The micro scratches are in the clearcoat if you cant hook your finger nail in them they will come out.If your finger nail hooks in them when drawn across lightly they are to deep to buff.And yes you can have it buffed, but not with a orbital buffer.
No you do not have to do the whole trailer as the grain referred to above is under the clear coat.It will have to be buffed lightly with a foam pad at low speed that will generate very little heat and remove the micro scratches from the clear coat with the 3m product I mentioned in a earlier post to you.
Any detail shop in your area that does high end cars can do this for you in a short period of time.Have the dealer pay for it and it will be better than new!Be sure to wax it after you have completed this.
Remamber the wax is protecting the clearcoat and has nothing to do with the aluminum below.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The upper photos look to be minor scratches that can be polished out. I would attempt it by hand with the finest (least aggressive) possible polishing compound. Outside chance it is something on the surface; have you tried just wiping it off?

The lower photos is filiform corrosion, something all newer Airstreams either have or will have. It is manageable. Don't get aggressive with this either, at the risk of removing the factory coating and exposing even more aluminum/protected surface to corrosion. If you remove some of it, do not use any type of grinder, carefully clean it by hand. There are many posts in this forum on methods that work. The filiform corrosion is often worse in the curved end caps.

Some dealerships fix this by cleaning, treating, and sealing it and applying a new rub rail around the centerline, like the new Airstreams (corrosion is the reason the factory installs it, it will often show before the warranty is up). This repair may well be a warranty item, some have gotten it.

doug k
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

nesvt...

You can take your Airstream to any Airstream dealer or service center for warranty work.

I would immediately call Airstream, 937 596-6111, and let them get involved in the problem with scratches on your Airstream. You have nothing to lose by at least calling them.

I would be sick if that hapened to my trailer. Good luck.

Lou
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Thanks everyone. Going to try some of the 3M product mentioned by a couple of you.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Meguires makes some fantastic products for cars. I have never tried them on a Airstream...my clearcoat...whats left of it... Isnt worth waxing at 30 years old.
There is always nuvite! Lol
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I agree with LLB21, 3rd & 4th photos are filiform starting at the seam. Below the seam it looks like hardwater deposit. Address the filiform ASAP to prevent further spreading.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
c lewis, that's the best encouragement, 30 years old and still looking good. Always repairable and worth the effort.

doug k
Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree that is filiform. The drops may have been condensation after the ice warmed up later in the morning.

Call Airstream to find out what has happened with this dealer and get their opinion what to do. The rub rail at the belt line was not used on lots of trailers for a while, probably to save money. We had one put on at the factory to prevent the corrosion you see on yours. They call it an "extrusion". They started putting it back on a few years ago and ask them about putting one on as a warranty item because you already have corrosion. Look at the taillights and door hinges too—they are typical places it also shows up and they have been known to replace them for free, even after warranty.

Keep an eye on your batteries—they are already several years old and may not last very long. It is possible the dealer let them run way down (below 50%) before they recharged them. Replace them with better batteries, though that may mean modifications to the battery box, but I got series 27 (trailer came with series 24) that have more capacity. I put in AGM's from Lifeline which should last much longer than the original wet batteries. If the batteries are weak, you may be able to get a credit toward better ones.

Going to the factory service center at this time of year can be a challenge if winter sets in now or soon, but making arrangements now for spring would be a good idea.

Another change you may consider is switching wheels to 16" and putting on Michelin LT tires—they are much better then the Marathons it comes with. That won't be cheap.

Gene
Old 10-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #38
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
You might want to try calling Colin Hyde. He has a website at https://sites.google.com/a/colinhydetrailerrestorations.com/home/.

He's not very far from the dealer you purchased from. He's a very well known restorer and I'm sure he's be able to fix this or at least put you in touch with somebody who would do the job right. I'd send the bill to the dealer too!

I was eyeing the other 2008 Bambi on their site that just sold a couple of days ago. I hope they didn't wash that one too! You have let them know what they did to yours, right? I'm nervous for the people who bought the Bambi because that skin was darn near pristine, I was there a couple of weeks ago.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sometimes Airstream will authorize a repair at a non-dealer if you are too far from one and they know the place where you want to go. That may work of you want Hyde to fix the skin problem.

Gene
Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Yes, I did let them know about the scratches. Not sure it was relayed to the right person (the washer).

I'll try the 3M product on a very small area and see if I was in a panic about nothing. Still should have never happened. I also didn't enjoy the leaking waste water at the campground because the black tank sensor was removed for spare parts. Not a good time nor place to make that discovery. Getting a used replacement from them this week wasn't too cool either.

Waiting for a response from Airstream about a generic question. They've been great so far telling me if I bring it in for any warranty issues in Jackson Center, that they would check over everything. Will probably go their next spring to get the filiform issue checked. I'm just trying to validate the warranty. Airstream said I could bring it to any dealer or service center on the list at their website. The dealer where I made the purchase is not listed. Confused. I'm hoping this means they are just not an active service center, though it seems they still service them, but I can't bring it there for warranty work.... ?

reinergirl, I'll be following your Moonraker blog. Good luck and thanks for the info on Mr. Hyde.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
After looking at the pictures again it looks to me that it was caused by using a large broom to remove snow off of the trailer. It has been of sitting on the lot outside for a few years.
Easy to fix don't worry
Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Got a lot of the worse scratches out. Have to do every panel, but it looks 100% better.