Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Wisconsin
roof repair

hi, does anyone know if its safe to go on the roof? we have a 2007 safari with a leak at the skylight. i have some repair tape but am not sure how to get to the skylight. i've heard lying down to distribute weight is one way, could that be right?
LINDAMART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
The rivets are where the ribs are. Some place a board over two sets of ribs to have more room to move. The curved end caps are said to cave in easily.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Keep your weight on the ribs, and you and your trailer will be ok. I use a piece of 1/2" plywood that's wide enough to span over two ribs to distribute my weight. I attached a 2x4 under each outside edge of the plywood to support the edges on the curve of the roof not slide side to side. You could pad it with a scrap of old carpet if you have some and are concerned about scratching the roof. Golden rule - stay off the end caps!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Agree with what the others have said about stepping only on rivet lines and for sure, staying off the end caps altogether!

No need to lie down!

I have ever found a need to span two rivet lines with plywood, but it makes sense. I do use a large thick foam kneeling pad on top of a rivet line if I will be working in one spot for a while.

Good to wear some sort of rubber soled shoes so as to be less likely to slip - I wear running shoes when going up there. I also stay off in wet weather!

To gain access, I lean a ladder up against the metal awning cover right near one end or the other - I generally throw a towel over the awning cover so the aluminum ladder won't mark it.

Just a comment on the skylights - the original ones that Airstream install are very poor quality and you will likely find cracks in the plastic at all the screw holes through the skylight flanges.

You can indeed stop them from leaking by sealing up the cracks, but it will likely be a temporary measure.

Far better is to replace them entirely with aftermarket units from Maxim - a search here on the forum should bring up all kinds of details.

They are a complete contrast to the ones originally supplied in every respect!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Wisconsin
thanks all,sounds good.i'll make sure to check all screw points for cracks. its a white roof,can i follow the rivet lines up the sides? thanks again for the help.
LINDAMART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
This may help. I have yet to walk on my roof.

Kelvin
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream Ohio factory, to dispel the rumor about week roofs, placed 30 male employees on the roof of the trailer, all at the same time.

Then, they went back in and tested the shell for leaks.

Guess what?????

NONE

I was witness to that many years ago.

Just don't do any jumping up and down.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
roof repair

I've been on the roof to replace the air conditioner shroud. I just made sure to keep my feet on the rivet lines and all went well. I've had both my skylights replaced. In both cases I experienced some water drops at the corner of the skylights. In both cases it was caused by cracks beginning at screw holes. One was replaced under warranty and the other was on my nickel. I agree with others that if a crack or cracks are there, trying to seal is a losing battle. My dealer noted that the key in replacing a skylight is completely removing the old sealant prior to installation of the new skylight and not over tightening the screws.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I've been on the roof to replace the air conditioner shroud. I just made sure to keep my feet on the rivet lines and all went well. I've had both my skylights replaced. In both cases I experienced some water drops at the corner of the skylights. In both cases it was caused by cracks beginning at screw holes. One was replaced under warranty and the other was on my nickel. I agree with others that if a crack or cracks are there, trying to seal is a losing battle. My dealer noted that the key in replacing a skylight is completely removing the old sealant prior to installation of the new skylight and not over tightening the screws.

Jack
Jack.

You can also install a "skylight cover" using just Vulken sealer.

Use adequate Vulkem to hold the skylight in place, and don't use the trailer for 2 or 3 days. NO RIVETS NEEDED.

Several owners have already done that.

No holes to drill, no rivets to use, no fear of cracking the plastic.

Simply apply the Vulkem sealer under the plastic and over the sides and the top of the mounting plastic flange.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote