Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeway , Texas
What do you typically do with the sagging vinyl walls?

I've seen where folks have applied wall-paper. I've seen where folks have painted. And then I've read where folks inquire about replacing vinyl. I'm such a beginner. (Owned our '77 Sovereign all of 3 days) I want to remain as true to the original inspiration as possible... I think.
The vinyl wall covering is just wrinkled like a pug! What do you seasoned travelers suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSideBed.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	166540  
Jesann21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
On the wood partion walls ours sags puckers due to the heat. In these areas I pulled the vinyl off and painted the exposed wood in the bedroom. In the kitchen and hallway I left the wood natural. The exposed wood looks nice but the adhesive residue is slightly tacky.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The PO of my trailer put very nice textured wallpaper on the wood partition walls, and used the same stuff on the upper lockers as well (it's an Argosy, so they're hinged doors rather than tambours.) It's holding up very well and I like the way it looks. If only the curtains were as nice...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Personally, I would try to discover exactly why the vinyl wrinkled in the first place. Could it be heat from some source? If you you might think there would be more wrinkling that just this one spot.

The first thing to do when acquiring a vintage Airstream is to locate and stabilize (stop) all water leaks. You don't want any of them continuing to damage your new baby!

For me, the next step was to put one of those paper school notebooks in the trailer to note any and all deficiencies and then...? Clean the whole interior to within an inch of its life! Even the darkest, dirtiest corners.

Why? By cleaning it, you will find each and every little thing that you will want to repair | fix | improve, before falling down the rabbit hole of chasing things that may or may not actually be important.

When you arrive at the end of your cleaning job, you will have a nice, clean trayla and a good long list of things to do. Take an hour or so to go through the list, and number each item as to the order in which you want to do them. Now re-write the list in order.

Start working on it, beginning with number 1!

People start large projects such as yours, and some wind up abandoning them because things get overwhelming. By planning it out, YOU will control the jobs, not your trailer.

ps: if you have a friend that knows lots about AS (Airstream) TTs, go through it with them, and see if they agree. One step further would be to get projected costs for all of the items. That way, you can plan out what speed you want to go through the TTD (Things To Do) list.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Aage: the OP is in central Texas... the heat comes from EVERYWHERE! I think eventually the glue sticking the vinyl to the luan just gets cooked at the same time that the heat shrinks the vinyl. Most old Airstreams down here with the original wall coverings have that wrinkling/pulling-loose look unless they've been stored under cover most of the days the AC isn't running.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Aage: the OP is in central Texas... the heat comes from EVERYWHERE! I think eventually the glue sticking the vinyl to the luan just gets cooked at the same time that the heat shrinks the vinyl. Most old Airstreams down here with the original wall coverings have that wrinkling/pulling-loose look unless they've been stored under cover most of the days the AC isn't running.
Very true. OK, assuming the TT is also from central Texas, a slather of glue, and that item can be stroked off her list.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I ripped mine all out and put in some nice birch wood.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeway , Texas
That looks so GOOD!

www.AnOldAirstream.blogspot.com
Jesann21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Personally, I would try to discover exactly why the vinyl wrinkled in the first place. Could it be heat from some source? If you you might think there would be more wrinkling that just this one spot.
Our wood walled vinyl, like me...is wrinkling in more than one spot.

I know mine's an age and and heat issue and suspect that my rig's is as well.

The vinyl will stretch when it is hot, but the adhesive is pretty much done for. I think that it could be re-attached if you really wanted to retain the look.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
We would like to fix wrinkles, but our vinyl is quite stiff and brittle where it is wrinkled, and there just doesn't seem to be any hope of straightening it out. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that - or on how to remove it?
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Splitrock - can you tell me how you went about replacing the vinyl with birch panels?
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peapod 1776 View Post
Splitrock - can you tell me how you went about replacing the vinyl with birch panels?
Yes, I made a picture story of how I did it. The links are below.

Kitchen Cabinets, Countertops - Airstream Forums

Cabinet ends, faceframes, shop - Airstream Forums

Finishing wall panels - Airstream Forums

I can answer any questions.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try heating with a hair dryer and see if that makes it easier to remove.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peapod 1776 View Post
We would like to fix wrinkles, but our vinyl is quite stiff and brittle where it is wrinkled, and there just doesn't seem to be any hope of straightening it out. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that - or on how to remove it?
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote