Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Looking for a nice unit to restore - NOT gonna paint it inside, PERIOD.

Thanks for the cautionary tale(s).

Hm, Tear out vinyl, do a birch interior, or bare aluminum? Or a tasteful mixture of the two?

Paula
__________________

__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Nice detective work, Laura. He seems to be refering to the same plasticizer migration that dwight mentioned. Bet I can't get any of the poly vinyl butyral at the "7-11".

I'll check around here in town tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Paula, I've read a whole bunch of threads about painting these vinyl walls, I've seen a few mentions of folks who tried to remove the vinyl and go to bare aluminum. I have yet to see anybody complete the "removal" process for the entire camper. Doens't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it. These stinkin' walls are a real pain.

Jim
__________________

__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
So as a painting contractor......how would you recommend painting the vinyl walls in the AS? And with what product to get the best end result? Both primer type/brand, and top coat? Also what products would you recommend if I wanted to paint the tambour (dark walnut vinyl)? I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks,

Mary
Mary
It's always better to remove any vinyl prior to painting, that being said we have painted over wall paper many times. When removal is not possible, clean the surface well, let dry, and use a top a top quality oil-based primer. Most paint stores in your area can direct you to the correct primer, homedepot employes are not always knowlegable in the paint dept regarding special applications. Take your time and finish with an oil paint satin or semigloss is best. I prefer satin so the walls don't have a sharp glare,......... to each their own. Brands vary, in Calif. we have restrictions on many paint coatings. Most name brands have oil-based primers and finish coatings and they don't differ that much from brand to brand. Just do your best to stay away from water based, latex, acrylic (their all the same) paints.
__________________
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Looking for a nice unit to restore - NOT gonna paint it inside, PERIOD.

Thanks for the cautionary tale(s).

Hm, Tear out vinyl, do a birch interior, or bare aluminum? Or a tasteful mixture of the two?

Paula
As another alternate - Zolatone over the vinyl. It looks great and seals the surface...no tackiness in trailers I've seen - one that has been done for over 5+ years now.

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #33
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
You're kidding! Zolatone over vinyl? I would have thought it needed a metal surface to stick to. Thanks for the heads-up, Shari.

This is the first post I've seen with a "paint life" of more than a couple or years. Worth looking into.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
You're kidding! Zolatone over vinyl? I would have thought it needed a metal surface to stick to. Thanks for the heads-up, Shari.
Nope...the AIM (20 Series) line is a commercial product that sticks to just about everything. I've seen it adhere to ceramic tile, concrete block, glass, etc. It is the original finish Airstream used. There is a less durable line, Polymix which is water based - but I have only used that in "normal" interior projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
This is the first post I've seen with a "paint life" of more than a couple or years. Worth looking into.

Jim
I've been talking about Zolatone over vinyl for years...ever since I first saw it in a trailer. It looks awesome...the colors are somewhat limited, but they can be mixed for more variety. It's what we used in our '56.

Guess I just added the "magic words" this time...

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #35
Power to the People !
 
Maryw164's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 447
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Mary
It's always better to remove any vinyl prior to painting, that being said we have painted over wall paper many times. When removal is not possible, clean the surface well, let dry, and use a top a top quality oil-based primer. Most paint stores in your area can direct you to the correct primer, homedepot employes are not always knowlegable in the paint dept regarding special applications. Take your time and finish with an oil paint satin or semigloss is best. I prefer satin so the walls don't have a sharp glare,......... to each their own. Brands vary, in Calif. we have restrictions on many paint coatings. Most name brands have oil-based primers and finish coatings and they don't differ that much from brand to brand. Just do your best to stay away from water based, latex, acrylic (their all the same) paints.
So to check if I am understanding you correctly.....

Use oil based both on the primer & paint and there should be no problems. Also would the same apply to the ABS endcaps, to use oil base?

Thanks, Mary
__________________
Happy Trailering !
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
.... Guess I just added the "magic words" this time...

Shari
Or I need to start paying attention.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
 
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
So to check if I am understanding you correctly.....

Use oil based both on the primer & paint and there should be no problems. Also would the same apply to the ABS endcaps, to use oil base?

Thanks, Mary
There should no problems. You can always do a test area to insure your satisfaction. I am sure it will not get sticky and the adhesion is much better than any water base paint. As with any paint coatings abuse will affect the finish, nicks, scratches etc.
__________________
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
 
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Nope...the AIM (20 Series) line is a commercial product that sticks to just about everything. I've seen it adhere to ceramic tile, concrete block, glass, etc. It is the original finish Airstream used. There is a less durable line, Polymix which is water based - but I have only used that in "normal" interior projects.

I've been talking about Zolatone over vinyl for years...ever since I first saw it in a trailer. It looks awesome...the colors are somewhat limited, but they can be mixed for more variety. It's what we used in our '56.

Guess I just added the "magic words" this time...

Shari
As you all know the early airstreams had used Zolatone, it is a great product my 63 TW still has the or. Zolatone in excelent condition, this was made possible by the care taken by the last 2 PO. I'm the 3rd owner.

Zolatone is NOT user friendly, it is a commerical product designed to be used by an experienced applicator. I believe it can only be applied by spray application using special equipment most people don't have at home. If you have knowlege of painting cars you should have no problems, you need to know your limits.
I believe it is quite expensive, but there is nothing us ASers won't do for our AS. I would like to hear from someone who has applied Zolatone in their AS.
__________________
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #39
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Take a stroll thru Don's thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

He has two Airstreams and I think this is the one he Zolatoned.

Jim

On edit: He's a great guy and will answer any question you have!
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member
 
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Nope...the AIM (20 Series) line is a commercial product that sticks to just about everything.

Guess I just added the "magic words" this time...

Shari
Well we should have an official answer soon.!!!... I sent an e-mail and asked them if their product can be applied over vinly wallpaper in an AS. I will post their response when I get it.
__________________
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Zolatone is NOT user friendly, it is a commerical product designed to be used by an experienced applicator. I believe it can only be applied by spray application using special equipment most people don't have at home. If you have knowlege of painting cars you should have no problems, you need to know your limits.
I believe it is quite expensive, but there is nothing us ASers won't do for our AS. I would like to hear from someone who has applied Zolatone in their AS.
We did it in our '56 Safari ourselves - you don't have to be an professional to use it - it's actually quite fool-proof if you follow the directions. It does have to be spray applied, can be somewhat difficult to find and is not cheap - but our results are excellent! All who have seen it have admired the end result...

Check out posts #269 thru 292 in my "It's a Girl!!!" thread

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member
 
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 360
InsideOut, Congrats!! Looks great, i would recomend anyone doing a Zolatone to view your post. The post #271-275, #287, #292 were especially interesting. You strick me as a person who will tackle most any project, get in and get it done. I believe your skill level is above most DIY,ers. You scored that pressure pot for only 65 bucks!!

My hat's off to you Fantastic job. Would you do that to a trailer that has the cabs etc. still in it?
__________________

__________________
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ephemera - tacky or terriffic? Janet H Off Topic Forum 30 11-15-2008 11:39 PM
Red numbers paint? hand paint? Zstream Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim 2 10-02-2008 12:35 PM
Tacky lights at Menards... Auretrvr Lights - Interior & Exterior 23 01-21-2007 07:09 PM
Paint stovetop with high temp paint? ironfem200 Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves 4 02-19-2006 04:47 PM
Awning options - tacky, bland, poor taste? Janet H Awnings 11 10-05-2004 11:59 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.