Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
If Price Was Not Important, What Window Treatments...

if you could buy any window treatments you wanted for your Airstream, what would you purchase? Newer cellular shades, roman blinds, drapes combined with a certain type of blind??? Please share you thoughts. I am at teh stage where I could aim for anything, but I cannot seem to grasp what I want (remember, my Excella has the curved front window..)

If any of you have done anything really new and/or unique, please let me know!
1978 Hilltopper Popup (really stanky)
Picturetrail.com/sdsteele
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Drapes in Trade Wind

I had JPA drapes do mine. They know all the ins and outs and supply the hardware and they fit perfectly as the originals did. BUT I had a decorator friend provide samples (like in a house) and then we chose from that and then sent the fabric to JPA getting a great custom look in the original fashion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0780.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	89977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0769.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	89978  

RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Curtains were the best option for us.

Blinds can gap where the body of the trailer is curved, at least on the models we looked at.

The roll up shades are hard to use.

And we love that we were able to personalize our trailer with our new curtains and upholstery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PBSE 1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	89979   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBSE 2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	89980  

Name:	PBSE 3.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	89981  
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
I like our 2" blinds. Though I wish there was a way to add curtains over them. I will eventually be adding side curtain panels for accents.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twinbed  blind.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	89983   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside windows blinds open.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	89984  

Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
Curtains were the best option for us.

Blinds can gap where the body of the trailer is curved, at least on the models we looked at.

The roll up shades are hard to use.

And we love that we were able to personalize our trailer with our new curtains and upholstery.
Those are purty - we're thinking of doing something similar - the roll-up shades just don't cut it.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
If money were no object

I would go for electrochromatic glass. See here for more details.

All you wanted to know about ElectroChromatic. Smart Glass, Electrochromic glass, SPD glass and more.

With these you would never have to worry about shades, blinds fitting, etc. Could be a bit of a drain if you were boondocking though
Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I sure liked the OceanAIR shade that someone here posted about awhile ago. They were sweet - but a litte to $$$ for my wallet. I like the look of drapes but, when I took mine down to paint, I really liked seeing all that wall that the drapes usually cover-up. I'm sort of in the same boat as you - can't quite put my finger on what I want.
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Fallbrook , California
I would use Lutron motorized shades. Two for each window. a blackout and a shear. You could work with the curves using their skylight shades. It could be programed to work with your lighting system. The box for duel shades would be 3.5" wide. You would have total light control both natural and mechanical.

Thats the good part. The bad is your probably looking at around $2,000.00 per window.

Len
lenmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It is ALL personal taste

I don't like the uber-upholstered look of the classics with two or layers - valence boxes, sheers, and curtains, and sometimes even cells...
For me, it is excess weight, and a place for dust and dirt to collect. But if that is the ambience you want, get the well made ones from one of the well recognized vendors you've seen here on the list.

I'll also cheerfully admit that the CCD/Safari unpleated "drape" is poorly made, and pretty cheap looking. They don't black out anything either. My FB SE Safari has 1 inch venetian blinds, except by the rear dinette. I did not get the front pano. I don't need total darkness to sleep, but I bet that people who do and have the panoramic window by the bed have to replace or line that drape immediately.

The flat drape is a lot better looking in a printed fabric such as the Ocean Breeze or the custom shades ASWifey. I'd bet the custom version are at least decently blackout lined.

The silver Venetians look nice, but you have to clean them by hand about weekly if you want to keep them looking nice. I may bite the bullet and get the rollup shades the new CCD's use.

I was half way through sewing new drapes for my dinette when I saw something here that made me go "ba-da-bing... why didn't I think of that?" (Can't locate on search at the moment). Someone had made a dividing curtain using VERTICAL blind slats sandwitched between two layers of cloth. The slats could be easily pulled out and replaced if they were broken, and they came with their own hangers - great for a room dividing curtain. They also made the curtain look crisp like a folding door, and plush at the same time. The slats would also be totally opaque - no chance of seeing "naked mom" stepping out of the shower with the drape in place.

My design? I was making a modified flat curtain - putting tuck pleats in at 2.5 inch intervals, alternately in and out (to picture - fold a piece of paper in a series of accordian folds, then imagine making the fold permanent by sewing a stitch line 1/8 inch from the edge of the pleat.) End result, would look a lot like the slatted curtain with a heck of a lot less work. Sigh.

One of the vendors here did three or four sets of slipcovers and valances for her trailer - completely changing the look by changing out the fabrics quickly. That might be the ultimate great idea especially if you're fulltiming.

Paula
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Room Divider

My wife sewed our from the home depot curtian dividers. Think we had to buy
2 packages to get enough, about $25 and then bought the hooks there, actually they were key chain rings. There's another post where someone else did this and we followed that plan. Make sure the pockets have enough space for the slats to slide in and out, we had to redo ours after the first try to allow the room. Benefit is that we could choose a fabric that matched the drapes. I think that Vintage Airstream had the strap to keep it closed and additional curtain hangers for the track
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0768.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	90393  
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote