Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
How to clean and paint wood walls AFTER wallpaper removel

This is a new variation of an old theme-- The PO of our new 1978 Argosy removed a lot of the warped or rippling vinyl wallpaper, which left sticky, bare wood walls. Now I would like to clean and paint those walls- and I am looking for suggestions how to clean the sticky wood and then use whatever might work to paint those surfaces. Any success stories dealing with that situation?

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Kathy, I had the same problem in our "78" Ambassador. The vinyl had lifted in several places and needed removed. Once I got the vinyl off, I ran a palm sander over it and then covered it with several coats of BIN primer. I had the primer toned to match the final paint selection. Once primed I put on two coats of latex paint. Looks pretty good if I may say so. Good luck with your project!

Bob
TAC PA-5
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Thanks. It sounds like work! I need to decide if I want to remove ALL of the wallpaper, the stuff that is still intact, or just deal with the exposed sticky wood for now. This trailer needs lots of TLC...

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote