Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
How many square yards of ultra leather.

Hello,
I have been looking to see if there is any data, on the amount of material it takes to cover the cushions in 25 ft Airstream 2011 but can not find anything.
Any help would be much appreciated by us.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check your width of ultraleather. Most upholstery fabric is 60 inches wide, so you pay for a linear yard X the width. You always have to figure SOME waste in cutting - and even with a vinyl or ultra-leather I always cut like it is a fabric with nap. (Velvet - with the nap it's smooth, against the nap - it's rough. just like rubbing a cat the right or wrong way). Obviously most patterns have a direction and you can tell when you've cut a piece upside down, plaids too! Many un-napped fabrics do have some kind of shadow, and they look different colors if you have one piece running one way, and another in the opposite direction.

Upholstery isn't something you'll do well without some instruction or at least watching a good video or reading a good book. Invest the time in learning to do it right before you go chopping up some $30 per yard material. (Much of the stuff coming out of Jackson Center isn't all that great, either!)

Paula
Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I guess I didn't really answer your actual question - but which 25 footer? An FB is different from an Eddie Bauer and the Classic has far more covered surfaces than a Safari/Flying Cloud, and then there's the International in all of it's iterations.

AND finally ... where are the seams in the cushions? The International and the Eddie Bauer have "boxed" cushions. There's a top piece, and a mirror image bottom piece, and about a six inch side piece that wraps around the top and bottom, but the seams are also corded. this is a bit more sewing especially when you have to make your cording and quite a bit more fabric but it can be very striking especially if you use contrasting cording. For instance do camel color upholstery with Navy Blue cording... or a Deep Brown cording. Of course you can opt for top stitching at the seams rather than cording - especially effective with ultra leather.

So WAG (wild ass guess) for a dinette and couch - 10 to 12 yards.

Better suggestion. Go to your local fabric shop and find the remnants table - buy the cheapest (ugly) 60 inch wide fabric you can find. Lay it out and cut it out for your project and just pin it on your cushions over your current upholstery. Or if you want to sew it, use your longest basting stitch... That can become your pattern and you'll know how much you'll need before you buy the good stuff. You can also buy really cheap flat sheets if you catch them on sale (which may be cheaper than anything you buy in a fabric store) and use them to make an upholstery pattern.

If your cushions are boxy, you can even use brown paper or butcher paper to make a pattern, and estimate your yardage, BUT make sure you're always dealing with the reality of 60 inch wide fabric (or whatever the actual width of the ultrasuede). Example you have a couch that is 8 feet wide - it has two cushions of about 34 inches each. You can cut one cushion and use more than half of the width of the fabric, but the ARMS of the sofa can be pieced from the smaller side so it's not all waste.

(I've done this stuff since I was a teenager, but I still might take a refresher course at the local fabric store. $95 to make sure you can't tell my work from a pro's)

Paula
Old 02-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You don't have to use remnant fabric to determine the amount. Calculating yardage is simple math and determining layout on the bolt.

Measure your cushions, figure out the panel pieces and how you will be sewing them together (accounting for weave direction and seam allowance). Make a diagram of how the pieces would be laid out to cut them from the yardage. Add a little extra material between pieces and you have your answer.

If you want to add welting/piping it gets a bit more complicated, but not much. FYI, matching piping (cut on the bias - 45 degrees) takes a great deal more cloth than most think. Figuring yardage for patterned pieces is the complicated thought process and results in more unusable fabric between the piece cuts.

If you find a fabric you like and there isn't quite enough, you might consider using another complementary fabric for the bottom of the cushions (and for the piping) to achieve the same visual result. Plus, you get the possibility of changing your interior look by flipping the cushions over. Check the gallery at this link to see how clever some of pour contributors are at matching fabrics.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=21900

This dinette and pillow set took six yards at 60" width to match the pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette Area.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	257994  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Ultra leather yardage

I ordered ultraleather from sailrite in indiana; we also picked the fabric up. 1st i ordered samples to choose which colour i liked then used their online calculator. My upholsterer told me 17 yards but only 14 yards available at the time. I forget what their calculator came to but knew 14 yards was enough. We have a safari slideout & had the surround done in same fabric. I have approximately 3 yards left over. Only issue was the fabric is very stretchy & i think they should have been cut a little smaller to allow for this. Also put the velcro back on as ours wasn't put on & the bottom cushion slides out. I may add velcro myself.

I have a photo if i can figure how to post it.

www.sailrite.com
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Jacquie - like you, the surround and slide walls got a tan/beige ultraleather layer as the mouse fur replacement. I chose to eliminate the velcro and have had no issue with cushion sliding, but my fabric is a heavy upholstery weave. As for the issue with your new cover sizes being a tad large, add a layer of 1/2" polyester batting around the foam cushion and it will eliminate the 'stretchy' movement. If 1/2" is too much, there is also a 1/4" variety but I suspect the larger is the best choice. Ditto on Sailrite; long-time customer but their calculator always predicts more than I personally calculate.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote