Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Gearhart. Minor relief in that there was no pst or gst on the panels I ordered from the US.
Also, the only problem with a generator, is the fact that it takes forever to fully charge ( good battery monitored) your batteries, if at all.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #82

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
My take on the matter is this. In Canada we get no rebate or tax relief for going solar. The 2 @ 40 watts solar panels that I tried to run on the Wyoming trip were not up to the task but cost me $150 each plus taxes total outlay of $339. My 3500 watt genny cost me $250 used no tax. It burned 2 gallons of gas in the 10 days we were camping. 500 watts of solar plus 2 AGM batteries would run me about $2500 plus 13% sales tax. I can buy a lot of gasoline for that coin.
I respectfully submit that if you have a 3500 watt gen-set you paid $250 for (even used) I don't likely want to camp within 100 meters of your generator. I like the fact that with my 3kw Yamaha sitting in the bed of my pickup, if I'm 30 feet away from the truck and there's a 2kw Honda 50 feet away on the ground, all I can hear is the Honda, which is itself relatively quiet.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Solar or generator?

Neither 'saves' the environment, but one does use less fossil fuel if that matters to you. That's not my prime motivator, although I do find satisfaction in averaging 17.6 mpg (overall mpg for >24000 miles of towing our FC23FB in all conditions) with my clean emissions Jeep GC Eco Diesel. Comparisons of generator fuel usage with towing fuel usage are pointless. If noise and smell do not matter to you, then you have many more camping options than do I - truck stops, highway rest areas etc. Camping for me is a quiet forest/seashore/desert setting. We use RV parks for hard driving, gotta make miles today kind of trips.

I have both generator and solar, and since installation of solar the generator has remained in our garage at home. This engineer does admire the Yamaha 2400is as a fine machine. However - noise, fumes, hazards of carrying gasoline, and inconvenience drive my choice not to carry the generator. Solar takes care of our energy needs quietly and safely. Now, IF the Airstream had a well-designed permanent generator installation, I would possibly use one. It doesn't.

My sailing yacht is a different matter. Although I have ample space for a huge solar installation, I have not made that investment. Our permanently installed 5.5KW NextGen generator safely draws diesel from the main tanks, and with a sound enclosure and wet muffler the sound is truly minimal. Run it for an hour in the am and have breakfast or go fishing while charging the AGM batteries at 100 amps (3KW Magnum three stage charger/inverter). Run it in the pm for a break from the SW FL heat and mosquitos with air conditioning while again recharging the batteries. Comfort and convenience are the drivers. I use about 25 gal of diesel per month while cruising - varies with wind, sailing vs engine usage, etc.

None of us will save or destroy the environment individually, but cumulative choices do matter. I'll leave the carbon footprint discussions for a larger scale, and just enjoy my camping and sailing as responsibly as practical.

Safe Travels,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Gaithersburg , Maryland
I admire your pragmatism Joe. What are the particulars of your solar system? Brand, etc?

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cstevecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #85
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
I have two hundred watt solar panels installed. I use a trimetric 2030 monitor and a sc2030 to manage my power input. Properly installed with breakers on each side I have had no issues and love to see the charge. I have a two bat setup lead acid interstates which are way worse than the original Costco bats. At any rate, I get the same power with one bat that I now get with two interstates. Crap batteries. The benefit I get with the two pos interstates is that with solar I am recharged 100% usually by noon. Cloudy days over three days are an issue.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
Great Thread-Installing both

On our restore of our 65 Overlander, we are going to be installing both.

Have a 3000kw charger/inverter connected up to LI 240AH LI battery bank used in automotive application. Single cell hooked up in 4 cell super cells and then 4 of these into series for my 12vdc system with BMS.

Then installing 300 watts of solar w/ capabilities of 400watts.

Extending bumper (have 2" lift kit) to accommodate 2kw generator w/ 30 amp RV plug. Generator gas or propane

All appliances propane/12vdc except for microwave and frig is 3 way. Wife unit had to have her convective (sp?) oven.

As far as environment goes, I love being out in it and I am a good steward. I leave nothing but tracks but I do not believe I am destroying it with my toys.
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had the space, so installed a ninth 100 watt AM solar panel on the roof of the Classic. That maxes out the load capacity with no voltage drop of the #2 copper wiring coming into the trailer from the roof and maxes out the capacity of our solar charge controller at 51.3 amps on a bright day.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
Tagging the #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Had the space, so installed a ninth 100 watt AM solar panel on the roof of the Classic. That maxes out the load capacity with no voltage drop of the #2 copper wiring coming into the trailer from the roof and maxes out the capacity of our solar charge controller at 51.3 amps on a bright day.
I would like to know what you are using for a "combiner" for all these panels. Do you have a way to monitor efficiency of a bank or each to determine a bad cell.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #89
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartick View Post
I would like to know what you are using for a "combiner" for all these panels. Do you have a way to monitor efficiency of a bank or each to determine a bad cell.
I have never seen a monitoring system that would allow you to look at each panel individually to measure it's performance. The only way I could see to do that would be to use a single Blue Sky 2512iX-HV controller for each panel (up to 8) and daisy chain them all into a single iPN-PRO remote to control and monitor them all. You can look at each 'system' to see what the individual outputs are.

While you could 'see' what each single panel is doing, buy WHY???? it would be expensive and redundant! After 11 years of installing QUALITY solar modules and systems, I have yet to see panels that do not perform to their stated specifications WITH THE EXCEPTION OF FLEX PANELS!!!!!!

I'll re-iterate what I have posted in the past; I have 500 watts (5 X 100 watts) of flex panes mounted to the roof of my Sprinter service van. They are screwed to a single sheet of .090 aluminum that provides a nice, smooth amounting surface and also serves as a heat sink.

After 2 years on the roof, first using a Blue Sky 3024iL controller with iPN-PRO remote and recently a Magnum 100/50 controller with their BMV-702 battery monitor and Color Control system. It is also being monitored thru their smart app via their blue tooth dongles right to my iPhone.

The flex panels are presently at a MAXIMUM output just 22% of capacity....or 105 watts!! I have seen up to the full 500 watt from the previous array of GS-100 rigid panels (including MPPT boost). They are being replaced with 5 of AM Solar's new SP-100 panels (virtually identical to the old Grape Solar GS-100s) as soon as I get back to my shop in FL, along with new Victron lithium batteries and a MultiPlus inverter/charger.

Buy QUALITY panels that have an industry track record and you won't have to worry about monitoring each panel.......
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
Why look at them? Because I want to and I like looking at things. I never said monitor individual cells but banks as a trouble shooting tool.

I appreciate your knowledge but can do without your lectures
WBCCI #6256
Old 10-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Well "eartick" maybee you should find another place to hang out. I for one appreciate all the knowledge that "lewster" has given on the subject of solar and electrical and his answer will help all of us that read this forum.

It is too bad you are having a bad day.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have a junction box on the roof behind the second skylight that all nine cables run into to buss bars. From there, the two #2 copper stranded wire carries the current down the refrigerator chimney to a disconnect switch and then forward to the Morningstar solar charge controller located in the bottom triangular cabinet attached to the dinette seat. From there the power heads to the 600 watt lithium battery under the sofa via another disconnect switch.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
Well my reply was not even directed to him to start with but yet he decided he would interject and not in an entirely appropriate manner. I was curious about another forum member did his combiner.

So if you feel I need to leave I am sure there is a way you can take care of that.
WBCCI #6256
Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
Ok thanks. So you don't provide fusing or breakers for panels after combining more than 3 panels.

The studying I have been doing on this that after three parallel panel a combiner box has to be provided with means of protection. Then looking around sure enough there are devices out there that meet those specs.

So I plan on bringing mine in to a fused panel where I "combine" them before going into the controller. My shunt will go on the negative for my digital panel meter that I will be using.
WBCCI #6256
Old 10-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstevecook View Post
I admire your pragmatism Joe. What are the particulars of your solar system? Brand, etc?

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

I began with a single Kyocera KC85 panel, Blue Sky 2000E MPPT controller and 6 ga wiring with an eye to adding panels as needed. 85w was ok for our open sky camping in CO and UT, but shaded sites in Olympic NP led me to add two more panels, Solartech SPM085P-TS 85-Watt (same size, specs as the discontinued Kyocera). Easy additions using MC4 connectors and 3M VHB mounting tape. These panels fit nicely atop our FC23FB (removed the unused TV antenna). I have room for one more panel, but the combined 255 watts seems to be sufficient for our needs.

Cheers,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Why look at them? Because I want to and I like looking at things. I never said monitor individual cells but banks as a trouble shooting tool.

I appreciate your knowledge but can do without your lectures
Mr. E.Tick,
There are many of us on this forum that look forward to Lewsters 'lectures' because his knowledge on this subject are second to none. There are many who attend his seminars at numerous events. Please look into his 'lecture' posts throughout this forum and you will gain an appreciation for the depth of knowledge this member has and might gain some insight to your questions. It will no doubt save you from asking redundant questions or making a serious mistake while your are 'looking' at things.
Be nice and have a better day.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:32 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sometimes it's not what you said but how you said it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
RoadJager ---+1
Sounds like EARTICK has a tick in his ear.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The fact of the matter is that the energy use of an Airstream, and even all trailers combined, is all but inconsequential to the bigger picture.

Whether a person powers with solar or a generator is pretty much moot.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Well my reply was not even directed to him to start with but yet he decided he would interject and not in an entirely appropriate manner. I was curious about another forum member did his combiner.

So if you feel I need to leave I am sure there is a way you can take care of that.
My Dear Mr. Tick,

Please forgive me if you feel that I 'interjected' into this thread in an 'manner that was not entirely appropriate' while I commented on your posting.

This is certainly the first time that anyone has implied that an INVITATION is required to post their thoughts to ANY thread here on this OPEN FORUM.

I'm sorry that you did not find the offerings from my 16 years of experience as a certified RV and marine professional with a Master's degree in engineering useful. Many folks on this forum and others have...... and do. Perhaps you would care to review the 'THANKS' comments that I receive?

Originally Posted by eartick

I also apologize for my interpretation of your comments above, especially the portion in bold type, as a casual observer could be led to believe (obviously MIS-led in this instance) that you were seeking to monitor the performance of not only individual solar modules (the proper industry term for a solar 'panel') but were also seeking to monitor the individual polycrystalline or mono-crystalline cells that comprise these modules.

I further apologize for my naive attempt to save you the trouble of trying to 're-invent the wheel' as the saying goes, even though many do sometimes find solace in the pursuit of same.

Please rest assured that any of your postings will not solicit a response from me in the future (invited or not).

Also please be advised that within these pages, you will find a handy little device that allows you to IGNORE the postings and even entire threads of any member that you wish. Perhaps you should avail yourself of this forums feature.

Thank you for your time...............

Have a pleasant day!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote