Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Solar generator for powering laptop?

I have a 19 foot Flying Cloud and don't use much electricity when dry camping beyond lights. However, I do a lot of work on the computer, and the batteries in the AS do not charge laptops or my Verizon mifi.

I was doing research and came across this: a portable solar charger for laptops. http://www.voltaicsystems.com/generator

Has anyone used something like this? Does it work?
kayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Wouldn't you be much better off with something like this 100W solar suitcase and then use the trailer to charge your laptop?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
I'm just starting to research, so maybe that would be better. Is it easy to hook it up to the trailer?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Why don't you pick up an inexpensive 600 W inverter, so you have 110 V available inside your trailer for your computer and MIFI? Select an inverter that has a low quiescent current drain while on.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
hi Alano, I don't know anything about inverters so pardon if this is a dumb question: what do I do with the inverter? I searched online and it says something about a 12 volt battery? Do I buy one of those and hook the inverter to it for power?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
An inverter converts 12 V DC into 120 V AC. You would typically connect the inverter directly to the batteries of your AS. Some folks install 120 V outlets that are wired to the inverter. However for a small inverter (600 W), many inverters come already wired with one or two 120 V outlets.

There are pure sine-wave inverters and modified sine-wave inverters. For most purposes a modified sine-wave inverter is perfectly adequate, and is cheaper and smaller than a pure sine-wave inverter.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Thanks, Alano. Is it difficult or dangerous to connect the inverter to the AS batteries?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Only basic electrical knowledge is required to install an inverter. You'll be required to run heavy gauge wire from the inverter to the batteries depending on the distance required. I would download the installation manual for one of the better-known brands on-line (Samlex, Xantrex, GoPower, etc.) and see if you're comfortable. Otherwise, any RV shop will gladly install one.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I am also interested in a portable solar unit and the 100 watt Renolgy is something I like. But am I missing something...our 19' International seems to charge our iPhones and iPads just fine, or am I wrong?
I want to solar to enable more boo docking.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
LBelle, when I plug my laptop or iPhone into my wall outlet in my AS when the trailer isn't hooked to electricity, the devices don't charge.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayt View Post
LBelle, when I plug my laptop or iPhone into my wall outlet in my AS when the trailer isn't hooked to electricity, the devices don't charge.
Do you have a 12v socket? If so use a car charger.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
hi Scott, yes I do have a 12v socket I believe, in the cabinet by the stereo. I'll try hooking up a car charger first and see if that works.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Verizon MiFi can operate on 12 volts directly via a 12 volt power adaptor which reduces the voltage to the 5 volts all USB powered equipment takes. I use mine all the time that way. It uses a very small amount of 12 volt power that way. Mine measures about 50 mA.

The computer would be best powered with a small inverter. Virtually all laptops take less than 200 watts max, and average about 40 to 70 watts.

Then how you keep the trailer batteries charged when out for a lengthy time period may become a solar issue.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #14
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
hi Scott, yes I do have a 12v socket I believe, in the cabinet by the stereo. I'll try hooking up a car charger first and see if that works.
So you can power your cell phone/tablet directly from that. To power the laptop, buy a 200w inverter you can plug in as suggested in the post above.

Then the 100w suitcase charges your batteries.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Why don't you pick up an inexpensive 600 W inverter, so you have 110 V available inside your trailer for your computer and MIFI? Select an inverter that has a low quiescent current drain while on.
I'm confused, do you mean that airstream doesn't put an inverter in these trailers?
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
We purchased the Renogy 100w suitcase panel. Purchased a connector, cover and fused wire on Amazon. Coils of 10gage black and red wire and flex tube at a local auto parts store. Soldered the wire into the connector tabs, assembled the tabs into the connector housing noting polarity. Mounted the connector to the battery box and ran the wires directly to the battery terminals.
The trailers inverter will run the tv or charge phones or tablets.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
I have a 19 foot Flying Cloud and don't use much electricity when dry camping beyond lights. However, I do a lot of work on the computer, and the batteries in the AS do not charge laptops or my Verizon mifi.
My batteries do. You can purchase 12V plugs for both the mifi and your Laptop. This is how I do things.

I used WeCharger 12V plug for our MacBook's and have for over a year now. For PC's you'll need to do a little more searching on Amazon, but they make them.

You can use a Pawtec Mini USB plug for your Verizon Mifi

Then you just need a way to recharge your batteries.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
We invested in a GoalZero unit a while back and it has solved all of our electronic issues when boondocking. I work online, so I need to keep my computer, etc, charged when we are travelling.

http://www.goalzero.com/power-packs

We have the Yeti 400. We fully charge it before we leave home and it will charge our electronic devices over and over again before it needs to be recharged.

One great and unexpected bonus is that we can watch movies while boondocking by plugging the TV and DVD player into the Yeti. Pre-Yeti, we would have to run our generator to watch a movie, which we hated and wouldn't do. It's been well worth the investment!
KristiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Kayt...

None of your 110 outlets are "hot" when you are not plugged into shore power or a generator. This is why your laptop and phone are not charging when you plug them in when not on shore power.

Some Airstreams are factory-equipped with inverters which convert 12v power to 100v... but in that case the inverter has to be turned on and then only certain outlets are powered by the inverter. Your rig may not be equipped with an inverter. (INverters are not to be confused with CONverters ...the latter is the power manager of your rig and converts 110 shore power to 12v and charges your rig's 12V batteries.)

If your rig has an inverter installed you can turn it on before it can be used... if it does not have an inverter you can have an after-maket inverter installed...or you can acquire a small inverter that plugs into a 12v socket.

Our 19' IS equipped with a factory 600 watt inverter...the on/off switch is on the wall left of the stove top and holding tank monitor panel.

Hope the helps.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #20
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiBear View Post
We invested in a GoalZero unit a while back and it has solved all of our electronic issues when boondocking. I work online, so I need to keep my computer, etc, charged when we are travelling.

http://www.goalzero.com/power-packs

We have the Yeti 400. We fully charge it before we leave home and it will charge our electronic devices over and over again before it needs to be recharged.

One great and unexpected bonus is that we can watch movies while boondocking by plugging the TV and DVD player into the Yeti. Pre-Yeti, we would have to run our generator to watch a movie, which we hated and wouldn't do. It's been well worth the investment!
I have seen this suggested elsewhere and frankly I still don't understand the usefulness. You essentially are just bringing an extra battery that cost you $450. For that same $450 you'd be much better off - in my opinion - investing in solar as a way to charge the batteries that you already have in your trailer. Or if you have a means to charge those batteries, then spend the money upgrading the battery bank to hold more of that charge (amps).

Now if you wanted to take the Yeti 400 so you have power away from your trailer that's a different story.