Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Rockdocking Camp Silencer- Western Style

The wife and I are back from our camping trip in New Mexico and we are now trying to finish up moving what is left of 15 tons of pebbles and boulders for our landscaping. I move four wheel barrow loads and take a break... and where else to ease the back and mind? The internet.

So. Campground "Silencer"

(1) Take a five gallon plastic bucket, or better yet, a similar size tin container.

(2) Drill a round hole about 1/4 inch through the bottom.

(3) Take a 36 to 48 inch synthetic fiber cord, that is about 3/8 inch to 1 inch thick. Like a long shoe lace, but wider. I like to use the conference cords that hang around your neck for you business card... Wider is better.

(4) Tie a large knot on one end and insert the other end through the hole in the bottom of the bucket and pull it through. You might have to push it through the small opening with an ice pick. Then tie a knot and before you tighten it, move it to the bottom of the bucket and then tighten the knot. The cord will not pull out.

(5) Take the cord and dampen it. Get it real soaking wet. Between your thumb and index finger strain the excess water out.

(6) Take the five gallon bucket and use cradle it with your arm with the cord and open end facing forward. You will look like you are holding an empty bucket with the bucket held against your side and your hand underneath the side.

(7) Point the bucket in the direction of noisy campers. Pull the cord tight and let it hang out the front end of the bucket.

(8) Put your other hand into the buck about 2/3rds of the way in and hold the damp cord between your thumb and index finger. Give it a practice pull. Change the tension between your fingers and add some water if necessary.

(9) When you are experienced enough. Take the Camp Silencer along with you on ALL camping trips into Rockdocking, Boondocking and RV Park camp sites.

(10) As you use the Camp Silencer, change the direction of the bucket. Also, only do enough to get the camping area... silenced.

(11) For those of you who live in an Urban area. A smaller bucket can be used imitate other "sick" mammals in the area.

If this thread is not deleted for being off topic and malicious behavior... I was taught how to do this by a National Park Ranger, and official protector of the Public Lands. I will tell you the official name of the silencer later.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Camp Silencer- Bear Growler

The instructions are to build your own "Bear Growler" or we call them Growler for short.

The smaller the "bucket" or can, the higher the pitch. I prefer the five gallon plastic containers for the bear growl... and you will catch on manipulating your finger tension and speed on the wet lace. It is like a violin string, but puts out such a loud roar that the noisy camp will become silent, immediately. A metal tin can of equal or larger size puts out a better growl, but that would put you into the professional level too quickly.

Maybe nobody has heard of this before, but I hope someone tries the experiment at home and reports back with a reply. The kids will find it the best toy invented, so hide it out of reach. The kids will drive you nuts wanting to play with it. Also, do not wear a bear outfit when you are getting this growler tuned up.

I thought I would add this to the Bear Thread, but the graphic bear attack photographs were probably enough from me.

...and I never thought of it. Imagine if the bears in a five mile radius "think" this is a bear in heat wanting company... Now, that would be a story to tell.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Malicious behavior ????? This is right up my alley. Thanks for the grrrrreat suggestion.

Have to try this one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I will be building one tomorrow.
A former park ranger,
Sam