Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Has anyone added a propane level sensor/feed to the tank monitoring system?
Joe,

You could get one of these....you'll just have to remember to check them once in awhile.

RMNP...is one of our favorites, glad you enjoyed it.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 09-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Just returned from Rocky Mountain National Park. Beautiful trip, although we got completely rained out in the park - grey days, low cloud cover, continuous rain, night temps in the low 40's. Off-grid in Moraine Park CG (excellent CG - very large sites with great topography) for 3 days, furnace keeping the cabin at 70º, and the battery pack (2 gp 24's) never fell below 12.2v with marginal solar charging. (I was surprise to even see 0.2 amps of charging without a ray of sunshine). Headed toward home and spent a last night off-grid in the San Luis Valley, caught a few hours of sunshine, and four hours of trickle charging via tow vehicle, that brought the pack back to 13.6v before another cold night. The only issue with the furnace was the propane tank running empty at 0200 and having to dash out into the cold rain to switch over to the full tank. Our 2011 FC23FB tank monitoring system doesn't include a propane tank monitor. I'll be looking for an improved way to monitor propane levels. Has anyone added a propane level sensor/feed to the tank monitoring system?
I am having a hard time believing a 2011 trailer doesn't have an auto-switchover LPG regulator. If your trailer has one and you keep the second tank turned off until you need it, then I don't have much sympathy.

Every trailer I have owned has come standard with one. That includes my 1993 15' Casita.

In that case the simplest monitor is to check the red green indicator on the regulator once a day, throw the lever when necessary and fill the empty tank when you get a chance.

Am I missing something?

I know my 2010 Classic came with one standard.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
My 07 does not have an auto change over.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
My 07 does not have an auto change over.

John
I guess it is another example of cost cutting. Airstream saves 20 bucks, so that the buyer has to go out and spend 60 bucks to get what he should have gotten in the first place.

Ken
Old 09-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Ken - yep, it does have an automatic changeover LPG regulator.

Relentless - The Airstream Guide states that all models have such. The red & green indicator rings are there under the "do not remove" black top. You have to look from the side. Not very obvious at all.

No sympathy deserved here for having to changeover in the rain. The cruising sailor part of me prefers to manually switch to my 'reserve' tank. I may change that habit in this less critical mode of 'cruising' until I find a better system. Actually, the refrigerator 'check' light is the remote indicator for an empty tank.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Ken - yep, it does have an automatic changeover LPG regulator.

Relentless - The Airstream Guide states that all models have such. The red & green indicator rings are there under the "do not remove" black top. You have to look from the side. Not very obvious at all.

No sympathy deserved here for having to changeover in the rain. The cruising sailor part of me prefers to manually switch to my 'reserve' tank. I may change that habit in this less critical mode of 'cruising' until I find a better system. Actually, the refrigerator 'check' light is the remote indicator for an empty tank.
I don't know if this is a difference between years or between models, but our trailer also has both tank levels included in the monitoring system that displays the status of fresh water, holding tanks, and batteries. There is also a little guage on the top of each tank.

The green/red indicator on the regulator can also be a little deceiving. Some turn entirely red when empty, others only show a red stripe below the green.

One hint, if you have the tank that is presently not being used off when the one being used goes empty, it can sometimes be a chore to get the gas flowing again. I did that once. If I remember correctly, I had to disconnect both tanks and let everything equalize for a few minutes and then reconnect. The fellow that helped me figure out the solution told be this is likely to happen in hot weather.

Ken
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Ken,
My monitor also has an indicator for the LP level but it doesn't seem to be connected. Do you know how to hook it up?
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bale View Post
Ken,
My monitor also has an indicator for the LP level but it doesn't seem to be connected. Do you know how to hook it up?
I can tell you what ours is like.

Each tank has round guage on the top. Each guage has a black plastic capsule on top of it. There are two wires coming out of each capsule. One wire goes to a ground lug on the meter housing, and the other has a spade lug connector that connects to one of two wires coming up from the trailer through the bottom of the tank cover. These spade lugs must be disconnected when a tank is removed. If your system is the same as ours, perhaps these spade lug connectors were not reconnected. I have not unscrewed the panel from the wall in the trailer, so I am not sure what type of connectors are on the back of it.

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks, Ken.
My propane tanks lack the level/pressure sensors and input to the tank monitoring system. I guess this was another 'saving' for Airstream on my model. Now I have another item to chase during our service visit to our dealer in ABQ in conjunction with the Balloon Fiesta.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Thanks, Ken. I suspected as much. I will check it out and see if I can get it to work again.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote