Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Smile Generator selection

We recently purchased a new 2018 FC 27FB. The unit has a 50 Amp system with two AC’s. Considering purchase of a generator for when we are boondocking in the future. Knowing that I will only use one AC at any given time & that I will be running referigerator, water heater on LP, can a single Honda 2000 handle the load considering the AC start up amp requirements or will I need to get two units and connect them together. Another option is to go with the more weighty Honda 3000 versus the two 2000. We live in Texas gulf coast area so AC is required most of the time.

Also has anyone had experience with the Northern Tools 2000 generator which is comparable with the Honda 2000?
Jdpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
There has been a ton of discussion in many threads concerning this topic.
The search box is your friend.
In a nutshell, one Honda EU2000 can start and run one 15K AC with a Micro-Air Easy Start installed on the AC. Without the Easy Start, results vary.
My EU2000 started and ran my AC without the Easy Start, but not in Eco mode. Now, with Easy Start, the generator can stay in Eco mode.
Several people like the Harbor Freight generators. I have no experience with them. I can say Honda works very well.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Answer: NO.
Meanwhile, search for "Easy Start" and enjoy the reading. Also, Honda upgraded the 2000i with a 2200i, giving another 10% margin. With an Easy Start on one of your AC units, you can run it with a 2200. However, make sure other large loads like electric side of water heater are off...and some report it's necessary to flip the converter/charger breaker off as well, because if the battery is charging, that can be pulling some pretty good amps as well.
Or get a 3000 watt generator (twice the weight) and carry on.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Consumer reports just had a comparison on the Honda Generator and the Harbor Freight Generator. I have 2 Hondas 2000’s. I like the weight and ease of handling each one. The predator does have a good review and half the cost. Most of the time I just take one with me since I know I will only need it for back up. I bought 2, but I could have gotten by with 1. Although that might change once I retire and I think more about boondocking.

I’d ask these questions:
1). How often are you likely to use them? Are you going to be boondocking a good deal?
2). Are you going to need them to run AC? How many 1 or 2?
3). Will you use them for anything else? Around the house etc.

The Harbor Freight isn’t quite as good, but does pretty well for limited use. But it only has a 90 day warranty. That would scare me a bit.

I’m partial to my little Honda’s because I’ve used them around the house for power tools, power washer, etc. Easy to carry around.

Also when running the generator you will want to run the LP on refrigerator, water heater, etc if you plan on using one AC. But if you want to run the heat pumps and 2 AC units you’ll need two 2000’s or 1 3,000 (which is heavy to lug around).

Honda’s reputation is impeccable and all kinds of places to get them repaired.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Not all 2000W generators are created the same. Said another way, only the Honda eu2200iwill punch above its weight class sufficiently to run a single A/C reliably with easystart. The HF, Northern, and just about every other brand, won't have sufficient output to run an A/C meaningfully. Even most 2400W rated genny's.

Note that Honda is also just about the only genny, that has readily available parts and repair support to keep running. Most every other generator is practically a throw away. It's why my 2x 10 year old eu2000i gennies readily sold for $700/each in the used market. I upgraded to the eu2200i for power margin to ensure consistent performance to run an A/C when necessary.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Not all 2000W generators are created the same. Said another way, only the Honda eu2200iwill punch above its weight class sufficiently to run a single A/C reliably with easystart. The HF, Northern, and just about every other brand, won't have sufficient output to run an A/C meaningfully. Even most 2400W rated genny's.

Note that Honda is also just about the only genny, that has readily available parts and repair support to keep running. Most every other generator is practically a throw away. It's why my 2x 10 year old eu2000i gennies readily sold for $700/each in the used market. I upgraded to the eu2200i for power margin to ensure consistent performance to run an A/C when necessary.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that the Generac IQ2000 is supported by a vast network of parts and repair sites and it is made in the USA.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
No doubt that Honda is a quality product at premium price. But my experience with Champion generators suggests they are also a quality product. I've had three Champion generators over the past 14 years. One of them was an open frame inverter generator that was mounted on the tongue of an equipment trailer, unprotected from the Florida rain and heat. We abused that generator all day, every day, to run an R/V air conditioner and to power tools in enclosed equipment trailer we used a mobile shop. This abused and neglected generator ran without fail for years and then was sold with the trailer. None of my Champion generators ever had a problem and all were sold, not "thrown away", when I wanted a newer model.

I now have a Champion Dual Fuel Model 100263. It powers my Airstream like it is connected to shore power. Its quiet and can be run from the Airstream quick disconnect port. I wish everything I own was as reliable as my Champion Generators.

I'm happy that there is stiff competition in the generator market with multiple great choices. I believe the after sale support at Champion is also top notch, although I've never had the "opportunity" to use it.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
The Generac and Champion generators are good in their own right. They even have some features that the Honda doesn't have.

BUT

There is really no comparable proven option when we're talking about a 2000W class compact generator, running a 13.5/15k BTU A/C with easystart.

Lots and lots of gennies will do the job outside of that.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Consider a Champion. For roughly less then 1k you can get a dual fuel generator. Its bigger then the Honda you reference but just as realiable and alot more versatile. You can use either Gas or Propane, its pretty darn quite. Changing oil is a breeze.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400...enerator&psc=1
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Generator selection

Used our Honda 2200 the last several days at the balloon fiesta rally.....worked perfectly. Mine has been converted to run on propane. There was less exhaust stink than those around me running gasoline, and I can run the generator on the same propane tank that runs our grill.

All that being said - I spoke to a few folks who were using champion generators and no issues to report. I looked at generac, but a propane conversion wasn’t available - a non starter for me.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Whatever you choose remember these tiny engines need clean, fresh fuel to avoid plugging up the carburetor. Once gummed up they’ll never be right. I bought the Generac 3000 and glad I did. The Honda 3000 was almost $3k and Craigslist is full of used ones for $1000 so that would be my second choice.

For the house I bought a Honda ES6500 twin cylinder, liquid cooled generator. It has onboard battery charging which most electric start generators do not have. It’s an impressive machine.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Whatever you choose remember these tiny engines need clean, fresh fuel to avoid plugging up the carburetor. Once gummed up they’ll never be right.
Good point. I experienced this with my Honda eu2000i. The reality is that ethanol laced fuel is here to stay (ethanol is what causes the gumming). There's no way around that in certain parts. Fuel/ethanol stabalizer, and regularly running the generator is the only certain way to keep this at bay.

One big different between the newer eu2200i and eu2000i, is it has a function to turn off the fuel pump to run the fuel bowl dry when shutting down. This is critical in my mind to keeping the fuel system clean, and prevent gumming, when storing. There are aftermarket switches that can be retrofitted to the eu2000i to do the same. I don't know about other generators, but I believe this preservation strategy is common for small engines.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Which generator

Take a hard look at a Champion 3500 watt Dual Fuel. I have one to power my 2017 23D when boondocking. Powers everything with no hiccups and no need for a soft start which costs $300.00. I run it only on propane, so no fear of gummed up carb and I do not have to carry a gas can. Cost was $1050.00 at the dreaded Camping World. Remember, your Airstream has 2 different sized A/Cs. If you want to run the 15000 btu unit and have some extra power for something else, it will be a no go with the Honda 2200. The Champion is electric start and has a RV direct plug in receptacle (no adaptor needed). Yes, it weighs about 95 LBS but has wheels and nice handle as standard equipment. Additionally, I live in an area prone to power outages. I can run my refrig and a bunch of other things when the power is out at the house. Just MHO FWIW.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went with a used Honda EU3000is because I'm not into running the hamsters to death. Yes you MIGHT be able to run a 13,500 BTU modified air conditioner on a 2K, but your converter takes some power, and maybe I'd like to brew a cup of coffee at the same time.
If I had the money and space, I'd have a Honda 7000.
However, after two trips I've never started the Honda once. I've avoided WalMart surfing and moochdocking.
I do have the generator for more than my RV's AC, since hurricanes are a possibility, and I might run my home fridge if I lose power for a while.
Even as a Honda fan, I'd have to seriously consider the Champion 3500 if I were to start over. It's got a lot of features for not too much money.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
The big differentiator here is those with trucks as tow vehicles, vs. everything else.

With a truck, run whatever generator you'd like.

SUVs owners I believe prefer not to carry a genny in the cabin. There's much less options to carry a generator capable of powering an A/C. In my research, there remains only one compelling option: Honda eu2200i mounted on the tongue.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Actually, one of the reasons I chose a Champion 3400 Dual Fuel was that it (just) fits under the tonneau cover on my Tacoma. Everything else is either slightly under-powered for the altitudes I camp at, or too tall to slide under the cover. I rigged it up for remote propane connections to the A-Frame port (I had to add one) and will eventually put a 30-Amp SmartPlug power inlet on the front of the AS body to make it even easier to plug in.

Random thought just popped in: I've got so many cables, hoses, and other stuff crossing the A-Frame to the back of the truck that I'm going to have to look into better cable management up there. With Trailer light and brake umbilical, secondary umbilical for Overkill Projects, propane hose, breakaway cable, safety chains, and front power cable crossing in the same small area, its getting to be a mass of 'stuff' that will, as Murphy's Law suggests, get totally tangled into a Gordian knot some trip. I better think about this some, and come up with a better organization method for this stuff, before I have a mess to sort out, or something gets pinched in a turn...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Hauling a Generator

I tow my 2017 23D with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van. It has a 2530 LB cargo capacity (8600 GVW Package) so a 95 LB generator is not a problem. I always run it on propane so no problem putting it in the van. No stinky gas can. That was a BIG reason I purchased a dual fuel generator. I run it off of the Airstreams propane supply. I find it to be very efficient. When the power goes off at my house I run it off of the 20LB tank I use for my Weber Q1000. Factory dual fuel is the way to go to avoid having to drag along a gas can.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Generator selection

I chose the Champion 3500 dual fuel. It ran my 15K BTU A/C all night long (10+ hours) on a single 20lb propane tank. I still have my 15 year old Honda eu2000 in the storage shed as a backup. I’ll keep it until it dies. But the Champion was $1100, is electric start and has good wheels and a handle. The RV plug is very convenient and I plug my 50 amp cord using a 50-30 amp adapter.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Yamaha 6300 ISDE

I live in Texas where hot weather is common. We have frequent power outages. Also have an AS 25FC 50 amp w/ 2 A/C's. I use this for my AS and backup power for my house through a Generlink system.

It is heavy and rides in my truck under camper shell when camping. It will run the entire AS trailer , A/C's ,HWH, Coffee pot , etc. It is expensive and heavy (200#), but it works and does the job. It is also quiet ,when running you can sleep in Front Bedroom with truck still hooked up.

Just sayin : I would rather have too much than not enough.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
In your case I would think the bigger of the Honda 3000’s with the electric start would be just the ticket if you pull with a truck. Have seen several of them with people from down south.

I personally have a 2000 and a easy start but consider it marginal at best. We tend to camp where there is power when it is hot and only use the gen a few days a year.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote