Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
You have my sympathy - and I hope your road to recovery is short and better than you expect.

Pat

Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
When we fly, I park at a remote parking site, the van drivers shuttling the parkers to the airport and back are not allowed to reverse at all. They will be fired on the spot if caught reversing. Insurance/Liability issues.
George

Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Brevard , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Ouch!

Sorry for your mishap. I'm sure it just made you ill. My husband "dinged" up our TV that was not even a week old. He was sick, poor guy. I feel for you. Thank goodness we can fix our "stuff". The evidence of our boo-boo is gone now, but not the lesson learned. We will learn from your experience, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I know the feeling, but not as acutely as you. When pulling into a campground in Maine (after 12 hours on the road), I turned about 1 foot too soon and scraped one of those concrete-filled yellow poles with the curb-side of our AS. Luckily, it was only a foot short on the turn and not two feet - the only damage was a neately peeled off body-side moulding. I didn't even dent the thing that the side moulding sits in. I was mad at my self and sick to my stomach for weeks - our AS was only a year old at the time.

I had it to JC to have the additional awnings installed and they replaced the moulding without me even asking and without charge.

I hope your repairs are swift and inexpensive. Tums will help that crummy feeling in your stomach.

Best of luck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Ohhh wow that is a cringe of the biggest kind - really feel for you.

It can happen to us all at any time....these babies are not the toughest when faced with a solid challenge

good luck with your repairs...
Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
MAN! Oh Man! So sorry that happened. I thought I just had a tear roll down my face seeing the photos. Just glad that they can fix it for you. Dont beat yourself up over it though. Stuff happens to all of us at some time or another.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Ouch, that really hurt just to see the pictures. I can only imagine the feeling in the pit of your stomach. Sorry that it happened.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
John, what a lousy thing to happen. At least you are close enough to Airstream to get the trailer in for repairs.

I'm going through the learning curve with my wife as she has taken on the driving chores. She's learning, but I'm still providing "co-pilot awareness", the new term I'm using this week to try to justify all my gasps and grabbing of the dash. It is a learning curve for her as I've always done the driving, particularly when towing.

She is doing a good job of it, and I'll make sure she sees the pictures of your boo boo so she knows it also happens to those who have been doing this for a long time.

Good luck with the repairs. In the end, with JC doing the work, you know it will look as good if not better than before.

Barry
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
I want to thank everyone for the words of support. I’m not beating myself up anymore, I just miss my Airstream.
It has been two weeks since I took the Excella to Jackson Center; the repair estimate is now with the insurance company. I’m not comfortable in sharing the estimate but let me just say WOW. I will tell you that there are 500 Olympic rivets and a window required to make the repair.
So now I wait to find out what the insurance company says.

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Is there damage to the window that I cannot see in the picture, or am I missing something for a new window?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #25
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
From the images you see that if the window wasn't touch it is close enough to have the frame bended... I am not sure but it sounds like that.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
The window has a very deep scratch caused by the Zip-Dee support arm. You can just see the scratch in upper right corner of the window.

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
John

There's nothing much one can do for Airstream withdrawal, or Airstream homesickness, other than maybe go find one on a lot and walk around it for a bit, kick the tires gently, and maybe sneak in a hug or two when the lot person isn't looking. If none are available that way perhaps there's one in someone's driveway and if you pingpanged on the door and told them your dilemma and asked if you could just hug theirs for a moment I'm sure they would understand.

If nothing like that is around there are other alternatives - milk and gasoline tankers are typically polished aluminum or stainless - just be careful they don't run over you while you are attempting a hug - best to find one parked somewhere rather than out on the highway. Oh yeah, truckers can be as possessive of their rigs as we Airstreamers so you may want to ask for permission first.

Other potential surrogates would be a Quonset, grain or corn bins, large propane tanks could be an alternative to an Argosy, and who knows what else you might find that has a similar shape. Ummmm, perhaps you should stay away from the similarly shaped but a tad messy liquid manure spreaders that seem to be common in the farm fields, but there are many other farm oriented things that could help to fill the bill for a few days.

By the way, you may just want to carry a copy of this posting with you so when that nice state trooper comes up and asks you what the heck you are doing you can prove you are NOT a tad off the rocker, just in aluminum withdrawal mode. Perhaps that nice fellow will let you buy him a donut and coffee and listen for a half hour or three while you wax poetic about your baby being locked away out of your reach. If not, I'm sure the judge will be very sympathetic.

I hope it's fixed quickly and you can get back to a normal life. I hate waiting for insurance companies to make decisions. Why can't they just say yes or no as soon as they get the estimate? It's not like it's from some back yard repair guy who's never seen an Airstream before, this is from the mother ship.

Barry
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Sorry about your mishap

What a bummer. But, thank you so much for sharing your mishap.....I am sure that by doing so you will prevent one of us from doing the same thing.....I am sure it was not easy posting the pictures and taking responsibility for the mishap. I just showed your post to my husband and hopefully we will avoid your mistake......at any rate we don't live anywhere near Jackson Center so that is not an option for us although C & G in Bellflower, CA may be just as good.....take care and our best that your repair is a painless as possible, paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote