Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Question Operating rivet shaver

I was excited today to try out the new (and expensive!) rivet shaver we ordered this winter. Well, it ain't shavin' the little post. Can someone tell me how these things work? Didn't think it would be a problem, but something's not right. Attached are the instructions that I tried to follow.

Thanks for any assistance.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shaver0001.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	5885  
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Doug, using the instructions you posted, you first adjust the tool. As you set the cutting depth, push the cutter down against spring pressure to see how close it comes to the end of the collar. You can probably eyeball this pretty well, but start with the cutter a little higher than you think it should be. Tighten the lock ring and chuck the shaver in your electric drill.

You should clip each rivet post pretty close to the rivet head with diagonal cutters to minimize the shaving you'll have to do. Put the guide over the rivet head and hold it in place - it will sit on the sheet metal around the rivet head. (Don't allow the guide to spin at all, or it'll mar your shiny aluminum.) Turn on the drill, press down until the cutter bottoms out, and the shave is complete.

If your adjustment isn't just right, the post most likely won't be completely removed. Readjust the guide maybe a half turn and shave again. Keep adjusting until you're happy with the rivet head contour. My shaver leaves a tiny little burr at the center which is easily removed with sandpaper or a file. The head contour this tool creates isn't identical to that of bucked rivets, but they're pretty much identical even to a critical observer.

I'd suggest installing a few rivets in a scrap piece of aluminum sheet and practicing until you're happy with the results. This tool isn't that hard to use, but it definitely requires some technique to give the best job.

Bob McKeown
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Is that THE rivet shaver that is $180? Looks a LOT like one I bought from Airpartsinc Is the shank on the shaver blade 1/4 x28 thread?
The tool is $10.50 from air parts but the bit is square and not concave. The guide is also flared a bit large.
The guide tool is listed as a Micro stop.
http://www.airpartsinc.com/catalog2004_gif.htm
I have not done much with mine since I recieved it but it was not difficult to adjust if it's the same. I'll dig it out tomorrow if Peter or another person with one has not responded. See if I can explain it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Bob,
Okay, thanks for helping me understand how the shaver should work. I practiced and managed to get a decent looking shave, with a small burr as you mentioned.

However, I'm still confused about the adjustment. Whatever I do, the shaving depth stays the same. I've just been eyeballing it to make sure I don't shave off too much. Kinda tedious but it works. The instructions I posted still don't make sense to me from what I've tried with the tool.

I thought there'd be a little more magic for $180.-! Am I doing this right? Is this how it is supposed to work?

Doug
Old 04-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Magic? No, even if it does a perfect job, I still call it a ripoff at $180! I talked two of my Airstream-owning friends into sharing the cost with me, which made it a lot more palatable.

When you're adjusting the tool, make sure that you back the knurled ring off far enough. Then, when you pull the adjusting sleeve back to the knurled ring, the only part that should move is the cone-shaped guide, which will screw up or down easily.

Once you've got the depth adjustment and your drilling technique right, it becomes pretty foolproof.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Thumbs up Thanks!

Okay, I can do the adjustment now. Thanks for the clarification. Who was it that said, "Once you figure out how to do it, the instructions actually make sense"?
Now I've gotta work on my technique. Maybe I'll have it down by the time I finish the trailer.

Doug