Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Hail!

Severe hailstorm in the Denver area last night. I am full-timing at Prospect RV Park in Wheat Ridge... and my trailer was damaged.

- all front cap segments have light to moderate dents
- roof has light dents
- streetside upper side panel has light dents
- about 4 rear cap segments have light to moderate dents
- rear roof vent/skylight shattered, hail then damaged the internal parts of the vent
- air conditioner cover is broken
- sewer hose was perforated in many places

This morning I bought a new vent cover. It's the wrong kind but will keep the rain out for now. I also bought a new sewer hose. The trailer is usable, as the remaining damage is cosmetic. Very sad because the trailer is only 6 years old and has been kept inside most of its life.

Insurance is through Allstate. They will cover it under comprehensive, with a $500 deductable. They want me to get a repair estimate and have it faxed to them. The only Airstream dealer in the area is Windish. Does anyone have experience with them performing skin replacements? Will I need to bring it to Jackson Center? Long distance is a problem, as I am living in the trailer while working a new job in Denver.

Advice is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	84259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	84260  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	84261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	84262  

Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh I am so sorry to see that happen. Hopefully this will be corrected to your satisfaction. It looks extensive. Maybe a trip back to JC is in order.
Interesting that its you 666 post?!
Sorry again.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
SIL in Wichita has a new (less than 1 month old) Lexus SUV. Last week, they went to a baseball game and out of nowhere, a hail storm struck. Baseball sized hail. Broke out the windshield, the sun roof and damaged every body panel. There was 10 inches of water in the floorboards when the storm was over. It shorted out every electrical circuit in the SUV.

Insurance company says its repairable. Lexus dealer says that if insurance company insists on fixing it, Lexus will no longer warranty the SUV.

I wouldn't want to be working for the insurance company when SIL and BIL get through with them.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yikes!!!

That really sucks. There are lots of competent Airstream service centers out West. You don't have to take it to JC. Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ is one place I highly recommend. I've had 4 panels replaced by them and they look terrific.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
That really does suck! Sorry! Here in San Diego we don't get that type of weather
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Mega bummer, sorry it happened to you. I hope you get it sorted out ok, I think hail and branches falling out of trees (we camp in the woods a lot) are my main concerns I have about purchasing an Airstream. Please let us know how you make out. Personally, if there was any way possible I would make a trip to Ohio. I know if I had major repairs to do on my SOB it would be heading to Indiana.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Severe hailstorm in the Denver area last night. I am full-timing at Prospect RV Park in Wheat Ridge... and my trailer was damaged.

- all front cap segments have light to moderate dents
- roof has light dents
- streetside upper side panel has light dents
- about 4 rear cap segments have light to moderate dents
- rear roof vent/skylight shattered, hail then damaged the internal parts of the vent
- air conditioner cover is broken
- sewer hose was perforated in many places

This morning I bought a new vent cover. It's the wrong kind but will keep the rain out for now. I also bought a new sewer hose. The trailer is usable, as the remaining damage is cosmetic. Very sad because the trailer is only 6 years old and has been kept inside most of its life.

Insurance is through Allstate. They will cover it under comprehensive, with a $500 deductable. They want me to get a repair estimate and have it faxed to them. The only Airstream dealer in the area is Windish. Does anyone have experience with them performing skin replacements? Will I need to bring it to Jackson Center? Long distance is a problem, as I am living in the trailer while working a new job in Denver.

Advice is appreciated!
I would strogly suggest that you make an appointment with the factory.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I called Windish RV (the local Airstream dealer), and they said that they can do panel replacements. Last nights hailstorm also damaged all their inventory, which they will be repairing. I will bring it to them for an estimate in early August. If/when they repair it I will have to stay in a motel.

It would be nice to have Jackson Center do the work, but that is a long way from CO and I will not get that amount of time off from the new job. I was out of work for 6 months... 1000+ job applications led to 3 interviews, which led to one job offer. I won't jepordize the job for trailer dents.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
There is also a good dealer down in Colorado Springs. My Globetrotter is parked around 2 miles west of Windish at My parents house but I have as yet gotton hold of them. I lost my front yard tree and my nieghbor to the north lost a hugh Blue Spruce that fell between our houses. As I understand it Wheatridge and Lakewood took the brunt of the storm. I have a friend at work go to my place and check the roof for holes as I'm up in Canada Still.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
This was a very weird storm indeed! Never seen anything like ti...we are just a couple of miles south of Prospect RV Park (it's on 44th +/- and we are at 26th & a little further east) and while the winds and sheeting rain were very severe and we had the tornado warning sirens, we didn't have a single hail stone. Our power went out about 10:15 last night and didn't come back on until this morning about 7:30 - but LOTS of people are still w/o power. The storm just skirted by us...

Sorry to see the damage to your trailer Dan! I would talk to the folks at InterMountain Coach in Colo Springs - they weren't in the path of travel so, they may be able to get to you sooner. I know they do great work...

Kip ~ glad to hear you are okay (as best you can tell long distance), hope your trailer is fine too - Jim & Chris had lots of damage around their house (38th between Kipling & Wadsworth), but their trailers all park in their barn so they are fine. A downed tree tore out their electrical box though so they are on their AS Honda generator power for now. But no real damage to their house or office.

A couple of folks at work had windows to their houses blown out and downed trees - but amazingly, I haven't heard of any real injuries.

9news has some pretty amazing photos showing the hardest hit area...click on the slide show here:
Cities, residents survey damage after heavy-hitting storms

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I finally got through to my folks where the GT is parked and everything is fine. They didn't even get a drop of rain. They are off 7th and Braun. My brother that lives off 8th and Simns which is around 1 mile east of my folks sustained heavy golfball hail damage to his autos.

My wife also told me that none of the plants in our yard have a leaf left. The front yard is going to look pretty empty without the 40 year old Honey Locast there as the focal point. My house is still without power.

I feel so helpless setting here up north. Thank God for Good Friends and Family in my hour of need.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I also have an appointment tomorrow for an estimate with Timeless Travel Trailers, a vintage Airstream restoration shop located about 1 mile from here. They seem to do a lot of panel replacements.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Good news about your trailer Kip...sorry your plants took a beating! Hope your power gets back on soon...I know what you mean about friends helping friends in these sorts of things, let me know if there is anything we can do to help while you are gone ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
This is one of my biggest fears while traveling in the Airstream....

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I also have an appointment tomorrow for an estimate with Timeless Travel Trailers, a vintage Airstream restoration shop located about 1 mile from here. They seem to do a lot of panel replacements.
They do FABULOUS work...not "cheap" but I would feel confident they would do a good job.

Shari

Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
When we heard about the hail storm in your area we held our breath for all the Airstreamers up there. We feel for you... It's one of our fears when traveling, but what can you do? There's not much youi can do if you're out and a hail storm hits. I guess that's what insurance is for...but it's a bummer any of us have to "test" our insurance. Hope it works our OK.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Definitely go to the folks at Timeless Trailers or to the folks at Intermountain Coach in Colorado Springs. Both facilites do excellent work and are professional to work with.

Sorry to learn about the damage to your trailer....
Old 07-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Hi Dan...sorry to hear about the hail damage...but congrats on the new job. Tom R in Two Harbors (and Eden Prairie)
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

DMAC< sorry here about the hail damage.
We live 3 miles west of Maxwell and 2 miles from your location, and the twister flew right over our heads. We were pummeled by marble hail, winds whipped up branches, took down a 100+ yr old spruce which when falling snapped a power pole the house wiring was attach. The house wiring from the pole to breaker box was yanked out of the breaker box, bending the mast. The fallen tree, today, still remains laying on What is NOW live wire and Excell still hasn't shown up for even a quick look. We're using Hondas to power the coffe pot and Direct TV, You know the importan stuff. All airstream were under cover.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
dmac
Thanks for the good pics.
Real glad you found a job. 3:1000 applications is amazing. This old country is in dire trouble.

As for the dents, I am surprised at the ones so far down. How large was the hail? It must have been incoming at damm near horizontal?
Did you happen to pick one of the hailstones up? Was it hard solid or somewhat crushable?

I am fantasizing a canvas curtain (maybe padded a bit) that would hang over the domes, but that would be mainly for when its in storage. After seeing your photos I would design it to hang lower.
Puzzle will be how to quickly attach it securely and quickly. And how to design it to somewhat fit the famous contours. Probably a job for ZipDee or some such outfit.

Also wonder why Inland Andy is recommending the JaxCtr factory instead of a dealer for repair? Does he know something about dealer skin replacements that he is not telling us? I thought Inland would be able to do such work. Has something changed?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote