Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Just so I'm straight here, your brought your no-longer new trailer back to the dealer. You made him do a visual walk around looking for damage and he found none.

Were you with him when this went down? Was this a serious walk-around or a casual courtesy "make you feel good" lap around with a clipboard and a can of coke?

If I was in the dealers shoes, I sure would feel baited and think that the customer backed into something and was now attempting to pin it on the mechanic.

Please understand that I don't know you and have absolutely no reason to believe this is what happened (or care), but I'm just throwing it out there.

I guess I've just never heard of a customer requiring a damage inspection before work being done.
Yes, on paper since I drove it home new right off the lot where it sat in my driveway for a few days(not leaving) the driveway before it went back to the dealer for service its now considered used. I even said on the phone to them why would I purposely damage it or try to get the dealer to cover any damage I made, when All I had to do was call my insurance company, pay my $500 deductable & let them go after the dealer for payback and be done with it. Believe me , this is no way I would not try to save a $500 bill. I feel stupid now thinking they would do the right/fair thing for a new customer. I should have gone to Colonial Airstream .
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Is this the same outfit that bought the big AS dealer in Tampa, and that owns the Orlando store?

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna18 View Post
Unfortunately this local business has a very poor reputation with the BBB (public record online) and many other customers. When I saw that Airstream had formed a relationship with them two years ago I sent a note to Airstream asking if they were aware of the local feedback and BBB records. The reply was a standard "we're pleased to be associated with a new dealership and you don't have to take your trailer to the place you purchased it for service". I'm still scratching my head over that response :~
I'm sorry you have to go through this hassle, and just wanted to post this note in support of your efforts and to let others know perhaps in advance of their own similar experience.
Thanks ,much appreciated. I fell thru the cracks on this, not checking their local business record was a big mistake & my fault . I am very fortunate at this stage in my life , that any out of pocket money I might have to absorb is not the issue.... but getting treated fairly is. Time for a nap
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Is this the same outfit that bought the big AS dealer in Tampa, and that owns the Orlando store?
I believe it is.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Take a deep breath, and stop beating yourself up for not taking your business elsewhere.

Three weeks after we took delivery of our new Airstream last year, the storage facility had a little accident while moving it.

Sideview mirrors on a motorhome: 1
Our Airstream: 0

Unlike your dealership, they were proactive and took full responsibility for the dents. They'd even talked to the local dealership's service center before they called me. The process to get a panel replaced can be a bit slow-- ours went into the shop about 6-7 weeks later and they had it for about two weeks. Is the replacement as perfect as the original panel? No. Is it solid? Yes. The service center also managed to put a 2" scratch into the skin under the awning arms. That wasn't the end of the world either-- I treated it and sealed it.

Even though I was absolutely crushed that our new baby had a dent, I quickly realized they'd done me a favor. I'd been living in a constant state of fear every time I got behind the wheel, dreading that first scratch or dent that would undoubtedly be my fault and leave me feeling absolutely miserable. I was already peeved enough that an issue with the length of the stinger on the hitch meant that we'd had to delay getting the Rock Tamers installed on the truck for a couple of weeks-- we ended up with a couple of very small dings on the trailer's rock guards, and those are MEANT to be sacrificial and take the dents!

I was so relieved that the first incident wasn't my fault-- it can be a lot easier to forgive someone else than to forgive yourself. The owner of the storage facility was so clearly upset that this had happened under his watch. If that dent had been my fault, I guarantee that it would still be gnawing at me more than six months later.

I resolved to maintain a sense of humor about the whole thing. My mother asked if I was going to put a Band-Aid over the dent, and I thought that sounded like a good idea. I've attached a photo-- I found this online at carstickers.com. I was able to grin every time I saw it, and it gave the guys at the storage facility a good laugh. The managers at the local service center thought it was so funny that they saved the bandaged panel with plans to display it in their office.

At the end of the day, the first accident happened, it got fixed, and the biggest bonus of all was that I wasn't the one who caused those dents. Since then I've been able to relax and enjoy the Airstream without living in fear. That's what's really important, right?

Your Airstream is susceptible to dents and scratches. At some point, one or the other is almost certainly going to happen. You have good options-- replace the panel, see if the dent can be pulled, cover it up in some creative way, or live with it as it is. I'd suggest replacement or covering it up, but that's me. You can have a lot of fun thinking about ways to cover that dent up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bandaid.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	256752  
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
Sorry you're going through this. Same thing happened to my Harley. Lucky for me they were up front and repaired it. Then minor damage happened twice more at two other dealers. Response varied from nothing to aggressively attempting to buff the scratch out. Yikes!

Now when I drop a vehicle off I ALWAYS do a walk around before and after.

From kids keying my wife's car at the mall to a windshield repair company recently putting an $850 scratch my new car...while they worked on someone else's car in my company's parking lot! People just don't seem to be too careful.
I'm glad I have a Zero deductible no-fault policy.

My thought has been to take the money, apply it at trade in to even out the damage, and consider it the first bit of road rash every vehicle will have it they are "Used and Enjoyed".

Your damage might come out with Dent King type device but I'd watch the clear coat/protective layer and repair any breach to prevent corrosion. If an interior panel could be removed to access the area it could be massaged with a dolly to remove the majority of the damage.
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Please don't let this affect your health to the point of stroke. It's only a dent. Count your blessing and move on. You'll know this dent is there, but most people won't notice it. Don't worry about what others think. Relax.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Thanks for the Humor .... I can feel my blood pressure coming down. Maybe I should listen to my wife's advice reminding me I will be 65 yrs old in a few days and to just sell it. Take the loss before I have a stroke.

Really sorry for this experience. But let me say - your wife is spot on.

😃

Go the patch route. The only one who wins in a legal battle like this is the attorneys.

Do the patch. Have a war story. Camp like crazy and enjoy the heck out of it. Don't let the b@stards take another second of your joy or time.

Hang in there and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
You know. ... i didnt even think to suggest paintless dent removal. We have tons around here- DentMaster might be a national franchise. Otherwise ANY used car dealer has a guy. Iryou can do a local google search.

Those guys are artists. Going rate is usually in the range of $50 bucks per panel (on a vehicle that is).

You can cut your losses and avoid high blood pressure and spend $50 for usually a very acceptable dent repair.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
If I were you, I would live with the dent and put a sticker, decal, or badge over the dent.
No one will ever know it was there and it will save the headaches.
Get a discount on something else in exchange for the dealer not having to do the dent repair.
Most likely you are going to be denting up your trailer anyway. It happens and after awhile it just adds character to your rig.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I prefer these:http://r.search.yahoo.com/cbclk2/dWU...et+hole+decals

Non illigitimus carborumdum
Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Take Andy up on his offer to review the dent as to what might have made it. Check into the paintless dent repair option.....teacher told us about a body guy who hit a door dent one time with a hammer and it popped out perfect.....but you do have to know how to use the hammer.

We saw a vintage AS this weekend with a number of minor dings and dents. It had been used. Your rig is now ready for a similar adventure and you do not have to blame yourself for making the first contribution. Be assured, there will be others. We saw some at JC. Folks felt awful, but it is just an aluminum shell and can be repaired. It just needs to be done correctly.

Paying what we do for an AS makes it very difficult for some to accept that the rig is not pristine. We heard about a fellow who polishes his when he is stopped in traffic for road work. If that is the way you feel, get it repaired at JC or Colonial.

Do not let this impact your health. Sounds like you understand that, but remember that "Every day spent ASing adds a day to you and your sweeties life". So get out and do what you purchased the rig to do.

Condolences for your experience. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
Take a deep breath, and stop beating yourself up for not taking your business elsewhere.

Three weeks after we took delivery of our new Airstream last year, the storage facility had a little accident while moving it.

Sideview mirrors on a motorhome: 1
Our Airstream: 0

Unlike your dealership, they were proactive and took full responsibility for the dents. They'd even talked to the local dealership's service center before they called me. The process to get a panel replaced can be a bit slow-- ours went into the shop about 6-7 weeks later and they had it for about two weeks. Is the replacement as perfect as the original panel? No. Is it solid? Yes. The service center also managed to put a 2" scratch into the skin under the awning arms. That wasn't the end of the world either-- I treated it and sealed it.

Even though I was absolutely crushed that our new baby had a dent, I quickly realized they'd done me a favor. I'd been living in a constant state of fear every time I got behind the wheel, dreading that first scratch or dent that would undoubtedly be my fault and leave me feeling absolutely miserable. I was already peeved enough that an issue with the length of the stinger on the hitch meant that we'd had to delay getting the Rock Tamers installed on the truck for a couple of weeks-- we ended up with a couple of very small dings on the trailer's rock guards, and those are MEANT to be sacrificial and take the dents!

I was so relieved that the first incident wasn't my fault-- it can be a lot easier to forgive someone else than to forgive yourself. The owner of the storage facility was so clearly upset that this had happened under his watch. If that dent had been my fault, I guarantee that it would still be gnawing at me more than six months later.

I resolved to maintain a sense of humor about the whole thing. My mother asked if I was going to put a Band-Aid over the dent, and I thought that sounded like a good idea. I've attached a photo-- I found this online at carstickers.com. I was able to grin every time I saw it, and it gave the guys at the storage facility a good laugh. The managers at the local service center thought it was so funny that they saved the bandaged panel with plans to display it in their office.

At the end of the day, the first accident happened, it got fixed, and the biggest bonus of all was that I wasn't the one who caused those dents. Since then I've been able to relax and enjoy the Airstream without living in fear. That's what's really important, right?

Your Airstream is susceptible to dents and scratches. At some point, one or the other is almost certainly going to happen. You have good options-- replace the panel, see if the dent can be pulled, cover it up in some creative way, or live with it as it is. I'd suggest replacement or covering it up, but that's me. You can have a lot of fun thinking about ways to cover that dent up!
Nice Band -Aid , Thanks for the pep talk.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #34
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Can you post a picture of the dent?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Can you post a picture of the dent?
First picture showing the dent from the top left side, just above the reflector's top left. Deep enough to feel/see. 2nd picture shows the gouges/scratches in the aluminum, inside the dent. The indentation(dent) maybe could be pulled out ?, that leaves the deep scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01873.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	256766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01874.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	256767  

Old 02-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
Door issue

Quote:
I recently took my 10 day old new 2016 Sport 22 FB back to the dealer for door adjustment & when I went to pick it up I found I had another problem. A 1/2" x 3" dent/scratch that was not there when I dropped it off. Its on the rear middle bottom panel just below the license plate. The dealer says he has to now replace the whole panel . My concerns are: Since the dealer has only been selling Airstreams less than 2 years, I do not have much faith in it looking like it originally did after they are done or that it will be sealed/riveted as good as originally new. Since there is no puncture of the aluminum skin, should I just live with it ?. My wife says they are professionals right ?, just let them fix it if you do not like looking at it. knowing its there really bugs me. Maybe I should just try & get the dealer to compensate me in another way, maybe a few upgrades. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Interesting (not the dent) I also had my 2015 22 FB sport door aligned because of 1/2 inch gap in the door.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I have been trying to find out what there cost would be to deal with this, like you said this has got to be one pain in the ass job. Any one have an idea of what it would cost ?
Just for reference, we had to have the street side of our damaged 30' International repaired due to a tire blow out damage. (Good Year Marathon's)
Lower half entire side panel and the rear corner panel. Had the work done at Airstream JC, total cost with incidentals was $ 9,200.00.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #38
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I have indentations, depressions, pits, craters, dings, dents, dimples, scratches, scrapes, abrasions, gouges, scuffs, corrosion, oxidation, rust, discolouration, missing rivets and lastly, compost for a subfloor..... but a deep love for all of them.

The first one is the hardest. You have a ways to go.

Relax, nothing new stays new forever.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
You have a right to be upset. More upsetting is that they won't take responsibility. I am going through something like this where we have a basketball sized dent in front end cap - caused by a vendor - we got an estimate from Airstream JC - they would be using Olympic rivets so now to deal with is the repair going to be a bigger issue down the road. An Airstream Is ' just stuff' but you bought one thing and got another from that dealer. I would want them to take it back and order another one. They can work out the 'loss' on it with the Mothership but why should that be your problem. You should not have to settle for a repair - it's your stuff to wreck 😏 and why should you take the financial hit?
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
If someone has an Airstream check in list already made up - would you please post it so we can use it? I absolutely think it is needed when taking your Airstream in whether for service or storage. You will too when if happens to you. The signatures are key.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote