Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iott03 View Post
Ad rivets come gold. After install a little buffing will rub the anodizing off. They polish up great. When you are installing make sure that who ever is on the inside keeps good pressure on the bucking bar. If you notice that some trailers have indents at all the rivets, this is caused by not having enough support on the back side. Take some painters or masking tape and put 6-7 layers on your new rivet sets. The edges of new sets are extremely sharp and will make smiley faces easy. It can also damage your shiney new aluminum if you don't stay perpendicular to the skin. If you are careful on the removal of your original rivets a 1/8" rivet will be plenty. The rivets will swell to fill a little slop in the hole. And also the proper drill size for the 5/32 is a #21. I have no idea if you had these questions but I hope it helps.

-Brian
Hey Brian, those are all great answers to questions I didn't even know I had! Thank you for the reply. I didn't want to open the bags of rivets in case I had to send them back, and that was depressing! But now I feel like I can go out to the garage and play around a little with my new tools!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...te-145553.html
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #16

1971 25' Tradewind
Petersburg , Michigan
You are welcome! I would recommend taking a few pieces of scrap aluminum and practice shooting a few rivets before you move on to the trailer. Button head rivets can be difficult to shoot without marring the heads or the skin. You can also place a whole row of rivets in the skin and run masking tape overtop to hold them all in, Which also helps to prevent nicking the heads.

Also one thing I forgot to ask what size cleco's did you use to hold the skin on? If a 1/8th cleco will bite in the hole it is properly sized for a 1/8th rivet. You don't want to oversize if you don't have to.

-Brian

-Brian

Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Brian, I am doing a full monte. My trailer has been split in half for 6 months. I have made all new c-channel to reattach my shell to, so they will all be new holes in that, but the holes in the shell may or may not be the same size at 1/8th. A lot of the rivets on my shell to channel were already popped loose when I went to drill them out. I planned to upsize all of the rivets I removed, so I only bought the 5/32 AD rivets.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...te-145553.html
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote