Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replacing Tambour

I'm replacing ALL my Cabinet facings due to the PO pulled everything out in cluding the handles. I'll have to fabricate them from oak.

How do you change the tambour panels? It looks like you have to remove the plastic coil retainers. Some I can see that they can be removed but some others I can't see how to get them out. The ones under the sink appear to be put in then the counter top installed. Any ideas on how to do this one?

Thanks...........Dave Spann............harleyd@camtel.net
davespann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Tambour repairs

In our 71 Safari, the tambour doors are held in place by two screws that are inside the plastic coils. No problem to remove. When I was replacing the tambours, I inserted them into both coils and placed the entire unit where it belonged and then inserted the screws. I still need to make one set, baut haven't yet decided how to fabricate the small pieces. Probably plane down some oak or walnut and then bevel the edges with a router. I have put some old ones back together using canvas and white glue. Worked fine.
Good luck,
Dan in Tennessee
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
get new?

here is a link:

http://www.winonamanufacturing.com/index.shtml

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Job Completed

I have replaced all my missing Tambour with new from the Winomfg. people. Color was pretty close and 4'X8' piece was $75. It took 2 pieces due to one piece damaged during shipping.

I made new hanldes from red oad stained with medium walnut stain, sealer, urethane combo. All in one made the refinishing job so fast. I used a tablesaw and router to shape the handles very close to original just mine being all wood look better to me. The small Tambour panel just under the kitchen counter top was the hardest to complete. You can't get the coil retainer out in this area.

It really made the interior look finished and as close to stock as I could get it.

Dave Spann
davespann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:59 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Post some pictures!!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Dave,

What color did you order? We also need to do some tambour replacement. Our interior is probably the same color as yours since they are the same year & model.

Thanks!
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tambour Replacement

I replaced all the tambour in my 1973. I ordered tambour from same source as above, and stained it to match what I wanted. For the cabinet under the sink, instead of removing the spiral tracks at either end, I loosened the lower portion of the cabinet frame (removing a few rivets) and pushed the cabinet down - allowing me to slide in the new tambour down the track.

I had all my old handles but for two and just received replacement from Inland RV (Thanks Andy) that look like they will work fine (Order in foot increments cut to size you want).

BTW, I ordered extra tambour assuming many screw ups and have one roll left (Anyone near Salinas/Monterey California who wants to buy it from me (shipping it wouldn't make it worth it) for what I paid (I think approx $100 per roll) let me know.

Now, if someone has a source for a couple of replacement 'tuperware"slide in baskets for dresser...
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

tambour repair

I've tried several methods for repairing tambour, some of which I learned on this Forum. I just finished up a couple of tambour repairs this past weekend, and have posted some photos of a repair process (along with some comments of what methods haven't worked for me) at:
http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html

A couple of the photos show the installation process, which may help answer one of the previous posts concerning how the tambour spirals are mounted. If others have suggestions on repairing tambours, I'd like to hear them...and I'd like to see some photos of how to remove and replace the small and large tambours under the sink!

gary
garymacf is offline   Reply With Quote