Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Replacement for Gaucho: Any and ALL ideas appreciated

Hello All.

We have a rebuilt Gaucho in our 31', 1976 Soverign that makes into a mountain rather than a bed and needs replacing. We also have a HUGE FIELD-LABRADOR RETRIEVER and need room. Please bare with me. I have a number of ideas to bounce off of you.

1. Would something from a regular used furniture store or the GoodWill work, fit through the door and give us room on the ends for small cabinets for art supplies? If anyone out there has done this, I would appreciate finding out if you found anything you could get through the door, and whether you are happy with it now that it is in.

2. I am sort-of handy with tools and could do a simple bench with cushions. I thought about building a bench with a hinged back that is also hinged in the middle and folds up to the wall. Is that hard to build?

3. Has anyone tried a single wide futon bed in the space since they're already hinged? .

4. Finally, we are hobby people on the road and (remember the dog ) could use a LOT more space. I would love to hear from those of you who have replaced with chairs. How has it worked out? I thought we could provide sleeping with an inflatable mattress.

Thanks to any and all who take the time to write with your ideas. I am hauling that couch out no matter what, come spring and I expect the living area to look absolutely palatial in the true Wally style.

Joan
JLD1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Double recliner

Hi,
I became so disgusted with the gaucho in our Sovereign that we replaced it with a double recliner from Lazy-boy. The gaucho was uncomfortable as a couch and really uncomfortable as a bed. The Lazy-boy cost more than a whole cow should, but it's leather, smells really nice and sits the two of us very comfortably. It fit through the door because the backs of the recliners is removable. Leather is more dog friendly than most other things.
good luck,
bill b.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I know Doorgunner has done something...I helped remove his from his trailer. Not sure what he put back in.

Here are a couple of things others did. These are more along the lines of building a dinette. Others have put upholstered chairs, etc in.
Fitting through the door will be the main problem if you go that route.

Good luck,
Dave

Gaucho

Here is one that Pizzachop did.
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...imageuser=4331
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are a couple ways you could go. First, you can get a slightly newer version of your gaucho, say from a mid to late 1980's model. We did this with our '63, and it worked well for us. The new couch had a walkover back, with no mountains in sight.
Another option is to get a pair of rv swivel rockers, and put one on either side, with a small table between. This will give you more room up front, but it will reduce your guest sleeping quarters.
There is a couch similar to what we used currently in the classifieds, and Camping World has the swivel rockers (they were on sale a couple months ago).
Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Friends replaced their couch in a 27' Overlander with two very comfortable, high-backed office chairs with arms. They had to be laid down for travel to prevent rolling around. Made for a very comfortable, flexible "front room." Big-box office stores often have sales on year-old models which makes high quality chairs quite affordable. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Have seen some great concepts in the forum. PIZZA CHOP had sharp build out ideas that also watched out for added weight. Lightweight framing is a consideration. I've been aboard a rig with a futon that seemd to work pretty well without adding much weight. Now I have thought, if one has deep pockets, some of the modular furniture systems sold in a number of marine catalogs could be fit nicely with a real custome look. Meanwhile I reckon I'll stick with my old gaucho until budhet permits
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Thanks to you all. There are a number of good ideas. i hadn't thought of going to a Big-Box store to look at what they have. I also hadn't considered the need to keep weight down. That made me wonder about weights in general. Does anyone know if AirStream originally weighed the furniture they installed to balance the rig. Given how meticulous they were with other thing, I would think they did. Does it make a difference if the front is lighter than it would be with the original furnishings? I think the added wood in Pizzachops design might make it all heavier...are you there Pizzachop?...is that the case. On the other side of things the rolling chairs would be lighter. Does anyone know what Pizzachop did with the 12 volt panel that is in the front of the Sovereign? Thanks again. I am cooking with ideas. BTW, we have a very similar set up to Pizzachops design in the front of our 12' Coleman Tent Trailer. It is very compact, but not very comfortable and a heavier person can't get around the table. It works great as a sleeping area however. Joan
JLD1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
The wrap around dinette has worked well for us (obviously our needs are different from others') and makes a wonderful bed.

Construction isn't that difficult and modifications are possible.

Where everything was framed with plywood and 1/4", it is very light and any weight gain should be minimal.

Pictures

Rough Plans
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
The wrap around dinette has worked well for us (obviously our needs are different from others') and makes a wonderful bed.

Construction isn't that difficult and modifications are possible.

Where everything was framed with plywood and 1/4", it is very light and any weight gain should be minimal.
I've seen Ron's wraparound dinette/couch/bed, and it is very well done. You can adapt his design for a smaller family without too much trouble.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What about one of those convertible sofa beds that are made for RVs? The name of the company escapes me right now. I've seen people post about them here though.

ETA: Flexsteel!

Flexsteel - RV/Marine Furniture
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
This is pretty cool. It is a Sofa, Bed or Lounge. Hope the link comes through!
Lounger Sofa Bed from Seventh AvenueŽ
Attached Images

https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Wow! cameront120 flexsteel site had a great selection for RVs. Full range from complete lightweight to rather custom looking layouts. Quite cool!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
I hope my solution works, have a small twin futon on order from Wal-Mart. Gauncho was missing. I would like the option of a 3rd bed as we often have mother in law along.
My problem was 77 inches max to fit it in, and 32 inches width to the folding table. Should be here next week!!!
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #14

2007 28' International CCD
Biddeford , Maine
Replace gaucho in 2007 International

We want to take out the gaucho in our 2007 International and put in two reclining home theater seats with console. Has anyone done this? Any advice? We also found armless sectional sofa sections that would work. Sitting on the gaucho for more than a half hour is torture!!!
lizfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello... We got 2 new Flexsteel couches from Rv Surplus in Elkhart Indiana for our Argosy and they are falling apart... you can feel the springs and rods when you sit on them... only have been in the trailer since last Aug/08.. removing them and doing custom built in...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads View Post
I liked this idea myself, but was considering it in place of the dinette in my former 22 CCD - The wheel well was a problem. If that's not an issue, go for it.

I've seen recliners used too. Be aware that for BIG bucks you can get non traditional recliners - narrower and lighter than home furniture. Here's one I liked. Google "modern recliner" or "contemporary recliner"
http://www.advancefurniture.com/Cata...0002385_28.asp

Paula
Old 02-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads View Post

Hellakool!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD1942 View Post
Replacement for Gaucho: Any and ALL ideas appreciated
Joan:

Take a slow walk through an IKEA store - I am often amazed by the things I pick up in IKEA that I use in the rebuild of the '78 Sovereign - even found a large sized folding table that I will utilize for the main table today.

IKEA seems to market to the smaller sized apartment dwellers, and a lot of their space saving furniture and trinkets translate directly to Airstream utility.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Charlotte's Ikea store is opening Feb. 18th and we hope to get ome neat stuff, including a convertible sofa for the Silver Princess/