Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
replace cabinet doors 1965 safari

Where Can I purchase 3/8 veneer plywood to replace a few damaged cabinet doors?
Most lumber yards stock 1/4 1/2 3/4
I suppose I could add veneer to 3/8 if it exists?
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Can not tell you where to get the 3/8" you are looking for. Here is what I just did. Two doors I removed the veneer and added new iron-on Red Oak veneer, door's were good except for the old veneer coming off. One other door I took 1/4" thick one-sided Red Oak plywood veneer, cut them just bigger than the existing door and glued the pieces together, good veneer sides out. Once dry cut the piece down to the size of the old door. Drill through the old door to mark hinge and knob locations for new door.

Later, Derek
dnrtheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
I've been building new cabinets, which includes 3/8 veneer ply. I've had to special order it from Franklin building Supply. Special orders cost much more . . .

I understand that most places can special order it, depending on the type of veneer you need. In my '66, the original was walnut, but since I have been building all cabinets from scratch, and am not a purist, I have gone with oak.

Locally to me, walnut is available through Boise , ID Woodcraft Store - Woodcraft.com .

Calvin
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Door ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Your best bet is to contact a supplier to cabinet shops in your area and checking there. It's unlikely to find 3/8" at local lumberyards in a cabinet grade. The problem is most cabinet shops don't use much 3/8" ply, especially in mahogany or walnut, so it's not commonly stocked. However, you might get lucky and find some birch or oak in 3/8 (which can be veneered with a different specie if needed) It's out there, just not everywhere, and will take some time to locate. Veneer can be purchased at Woodcraft and online. If you don't have much woodworking experience, the folks at Woodcraft are very helpful.
As an option, you could use 1/2" ply and just rabbet the inside edges so the doors lay slightly (the extra 1/8") inside the cabinet. Just BE SURE to check if the rabbet will work with your hinges before making a bunch of doors. As an aside, today's 1/2" ply is more like 7/16" so you may be able to just use that. The ply doors in our AS are true 3/8", so you'd likely be looking at a 1/16" to 3/32" difference in thickness that may not be real noticeable.
I was lucky in being able to reuse most of the doors during our remodel except for the two long doors under the gaucho which were ruined. I just replaced those with with a couple solid walnut 1x10's I planed down to 3/8".
Good luck! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 safari