Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

1968 22' Safari
goshen , Utah
Refinish wood in a '68 safari

I need to do something with the wood paneling. It is getting dry and bleaching. I though about lightly sanding and coating with something. Any suggestions?
series2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Can you post a picture of what you have?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Mt. Holly , North Carolina
I am completing refinishing all the wood in my 67 Safari. It has been a big job but worth it. The veneer on the plywood is thin so be careful not to sand too much. I used furniture stripper to remove the old finish then used Minwax Golden Oak stain and sealer. I topped it with an oil base clear polyurethane and on some parts I topped coated with a new product from MinWax called "matte finish" that was a water based polyurethane. After applying the 3rd coat of the matte finish, I liked it much better than the oil base poly and found it was easier to apply and more forgiving. The label says sanding between coats is not necessary but the water based poly does raise the grain of the wood slightly so if you do decide to sand between coats, you may want to avoid avoid using steel wool. Steel wool particles left behind will rust when the water based poly is applied.
bamurphree is offline   Reply With Quote