Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
50's Table??

Now wouldn't it be neat to retro fit this table into one of those 50's units.

Has anyone seen a table like this? Trying to put an actual date on it.

She is slated for our - get a load of this - "BunkAir" our latest idea - when are we ever going to find the time.

Before we bought the new GT-A/S our Bunkie - as we call it - like a little cabin guest house thingy -was slated for a big reno job this spring to be winterized and redecorated into my new office- it has is a rough hemlock white washed walls and a plywood floor - but the outside looks great. I think I mentioned it in another post - can't remember - but we are going to replicate somewhat the inside of a 50's A/S.

Apparently the person who milled and built our house lived in the Bunkie during the contruction stage. Gees hope it was in the 3 seasons or he'd have been pretty darn cold.

Anyway have a look at this table and see if someone can give me an idea of a year.

Thanks - SPK
Attached Images

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
DOn't know the year, but what an awesome table!!!! Great find!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

late 50's

What is the surface made of? I have a table similar to that one, sides and legs are different. The one I have my parents purchased in 1956. It was their dining room table for many years.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
The top is made of formica - it is also not painted - so there must have been a process to die the formica before it's drying process - with the design being masked somehow?

The table edge is a metal - but not sure if it is chrome - almost looks like aluminium - but then it could be chrome. The rest is chrome.

I tried a bit of metal polish (not Southern Shine - it is enroute) and the table is going to come up real nice. I will be taking it all apart to clean of the rust on the underside metal parts. Start my hunt for some new vinyl material for the table side pads - neat things - and to recover the chairs. I am hoping a good wax polish will buff out most of the fine scratches on the top.

Thanks Whistler
Old 03-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
50's table

Either late Etruscan or early Bauhaus?
Looks like late 30's or early 40's. Definitely Sears Roebuck and Sisler. Early modern midwestern influences. I would say from the Kansas school, maybe Western Kansas.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Post ww II, pre Korean War.
Color, choice of graphic style, most telling is the skirt and leg style.
Just my guess.
Formica could have patterns made into just like modern vinyl flooring.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 03-02-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wilsonart

Wilsonart has a "custom" option where they will put your custom design into a sheet(s) of laminate. Table looks awesome!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Like to see a pic of a chair if possible

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Post ww II, pre Korean War.
Color, choice of graphic style, most telling is the skirt and leg style.
Quote:
Either late Etruscan or early Bauhaus?
Looks like late 30's or early 40's. Definitely Sears Roebuck and Sisler. Early modern midwestern influences. I would say from the Kansas school, maybe Western Kansas.
Don't tell me you guys are with the Antique Road Show? I have not a clue what you are talking about - well the two wars and Sears ring a bell....

Here is a picture of the chair biggerbadbrad - although I do not think they actually were with the table - only three and they are in rough shape. My parents had a similar style bought in the late 60's but just a little bigger.

The 70's brought the tall backs along with (harvest yellow, olive green, & something brown)

They are definately not from the Hudson Bay company
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette chair.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5011  
Old 03-07-2004, 02:07 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Hmmm, not at all what I expected them to look like. I think you're correct about them belonging to a different set. Actually, I think those chairs belong to MY table! I've always wondered where they ended up. Seriously, thank you for posting the pics GT. Heres one of my table even though it pales in comparision to yours. I picked it up at a garage sale for $5. I think it is a 50's or early 60's table. I just love these old relics.

bbb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	im000251b.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	5088  
Old 03-07-2004, 02:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

...and extended... Hey! Anyone have some chairs for sale? I'd be willing to go as high as, say, 50 cents each?

bbb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	im000252b.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	5089  
Old 03-07-2004, 04:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

One of the laminate manufacturers, started ( 15 years ago ?)making the boomerang pattern again in a variety of colors.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Formica was making the Boomerang pattern again...until about 2 or 3 years ago, then they stopped....you may be able to find someone with stock, but I believe it is discontinued again. Mostly I've found folks that make 50's style diner booths have stock...but only for their own use, like Cook's Classic and charge handsomely for it.

Another popular retro look is the Cracked Ice laminates & vinyls...cool!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thumbs up

Hi Shari;

Where on earth do you find the time to do all the research you do?? That Craked Ice is Perfect!

I found something locally but not like the original - it was more like "The Jetsons'" Type of stuff - that would match BBB's nifty little leaf table. But the price was a bit too steep $100.00 per yard.

The Cracked ice is also pricey but not totally outrageous afterall it is for my business office and it will become a right-off persee. Just need to do the measuring and get the order in.

But can't decide - I have three seats - do I do them all in red - all in gray or two in red one in gray or two in gray and one in red or combo colour seat in gray and backs in red or seats in red and backs in gray.

Or how about the stripe pattern - YIKES the combinations are endless.

The only easy part is making the cream round circles or should they be white and they just yellowed over the years

Working on an ottaman right now - that is for neither the A/S or the Bunkair.

Thanks again Shari - I know I would have never found this cool place!!!!

BBB I will check the feet of my chairs to see if they have done a lot of walking - just might be from your table - really quaint little leaf table - that would be neat in a larger A/S with room.

SPK
Old 08-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921

She is slated for our - get a load of this - "BunkAir" our latest idea - when are we ever going to find the time.

Before we bought the new GT-A/S our Bunkie - as we call it - like a little cabin guest house thingy -was slated for a big reno job this spring to be winterized and redecorated into my new office- it has is a rough hemlock white washed walls and a plywood floor - but the outside looks great. I think I mentioned it in another post - can't remember - but we are going to replicate somewhat the inside of a 50's A/S.

Apparently the person who milled and built our house lived in the Bunkie during the contruction stage. Gees hope it was in the 3 seasons or he'd have been pretty darn cold.

Anyway have a look at this table and see if someone can give me an idea of a year.

Thanks - SPK
I found your post while trying to find more chairs to go with my own table...I have no idea what forum I am on, lol...but the table you have pictured is a 1950's table, the formica pattern is called "cracked ice". I live in Portland OR and work in a vintage shop where we sell these types of diner tables quite a bit. Red is the most sought after color, and worh the most. I just bought a gray set (table, leaf and two chairs) for $145.00 and that was a discounted price. We recently sold a red set, 6 chairs, leaf and table all in very good condition for $650.00..and it flew out of the store. That set was the basic common style..what you have looks different and I would guess worth more.
Type in your search engine the words "cracked Ice vinyl or formica" and you will find quite a few sources.
Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:50 AM   #16
Craftsman

I'm pretty sure the early laminates were made from layers of brown paper impregnated `with resins. You can actually see the layers in a broken piece. The pattterns were just another of the top layers with the clear resins covering it. Probably heated and pressed.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921

Thanks - SPK
not sure on the year, it seems that it would fit in the 50s though. that is how i am going to style my trailer with that sort of table and black and white checkered flooring.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
checkered flooring

You caught my eye with the checkered flooring. I am doing the same. Am doin the upholstery in black/white stripes and the counter, backsplash and table top will be stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki
not sure on the year, it seems that it would fit in the 50s though. that is how i am going to style my trailer with that sort of table and black and white checkered flooring.