Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

wiring insight

hello all..

our trailer is finally gutted and now looking at wiring it up..wow overwealming
so ill start with the simple questions-

has anyone come across a wiring diagram for a safari...

has anyone used low voltage(dc current) lighting..

wiring for a genrator...

any insight would b very appreciative..

thanks
rich
nevisstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I've used fluorescent and halogen 12v dc. It is more efficient (and no conversion loss) and cheaper than converting to ac, I consider dc the primary power source in an rv.

Generator wiring should be pretty simple, just plug into that instead of the power pedestal.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Hey, Nevissses! Long time no hear, how is the refurbishing as a whole going? I'd love to know what you ended up with in your doorway, maybe some pictures??
Glad you're on to the next stage of the game.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
By low voltage you mean the lower voltage that works on AC or DC 12 volts or something in DC lower than 12 volts. I have low volt AC lighting in the Caravel over the side sofa. Your standard AS is 12Volt DC with some AC for Air Conditioner, Recepticles, maybe a light. Thus they have two electrical systems. The AC it turned into DC when you are plugged in, otherwise it runs the DC stuff from the batteries.
Have you wired stuff before? I use marine and solar power supply places for info and parts.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevisstudio
hello all..

our trailer is finally gutted and now looking at wiring it up..wow overwealming
so ill start with the simple questions-

has anyone come across a wiring diagram for a safari...

has anyone used low voltage(dc current) lighting..

wiring for a genrator...

any insight would b very appreciative..

thanks
rich
Hopefully I will be rewiring ours in the next couple weeks. I think your is old enough it's like ours and there is both 110v fixtures and 12v fixtures. In a couple places I will retain this set up. What I am doing away with is our coach had several 120v-12v step down transformers and a City/battery switch. I am going with a central 12v transformer in the form of a Intelipower to handle both battery charging and 12v systems.

I plan to draw up some plans and I'll be happy to share once done.

The real problem is WHERE to run the wiring. Airstream ran it ALL through the roof and dropped down to where it was needed. I have been trying to not have to take my inner skin free from the ceiling. I have it off aroudn the floor. I had contiplated drilling the ribs and gromiting but I am concerned about weakening them.

I'm going to see if it will be possible to use the old wires the pull the new Romenx and 12v feeds by pulling the trim around the vents and over head light and drilling just enough rivets to pull the inner pannel down 3-4 inches so I can reach in and guide things and keep the insulation from balling up.. I think it can be done. Let you know when I try.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Hopefully I will be rewiring ours in the next couple weeks. ....... I had contiplated drilling the ribs and gromiting but I am concerned about weakening them..... I'm going to see if it will be possible to use the old wires the pull the new Romenx and 12v feeds by pulling the trim around the vents and over head light and drilling just enough rivets to pull the inner pannel down 3-4 inches so I can reach in and guide things and keep the insulation from balling up.. I think it can be done.....
Toaster:

Drilling the ribs should not compromise the structural integrity as long as you keep the diameter of the whole no more than 1/3 or so of the rib size and don't place the holes too close together.

On pulling the wires - on the 345 the wires are loomed together in a harness - which means that every drop off of either a 110 or 12 volt circuit will require a splice to the "side" circuit or pulling a new wire down the side of the trailer wall with the old wire. There are LOTS of "side drop" circuits.

IMHO this would be VERY difficult to do "in the blind" - just don't think that 4" of access will be enough.

Best of luck - make sure you let the rest of us know how it went.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I have the roof down in my airstream.They ran all DC on one circuit with lots of splices at each unit.The color coding is easy ,DC-orange.I will probably add a few circuits to improve fusing.I will be replacing vents with fantastic fans so can remove AC to vents.
What do you think of going with DC only lighting and removing AC wiring to lights?
I also had no converter. My friend gave me a converter from a motorhome he scrapped.It is a 40 amp Powertron with three 15amp fused circuits and battery connections.It is an older heavy unit with a big transformer and no cooling fan.I'll give it a try before shelling out bucks for intellipower.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I just went in the trailer and put together this wiring diagram of the existing DC electrics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	8512  
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Talking

Your diagrahm looks a lot like a coronary bypass. The clog is just to the left from the heart. Indicated by the round thing. Just kidding.....Buzzzz
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote