Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Sometimes personal experience does override manufacturer's recommendations.
I agree. But not in this case. Tongue weight is tongue weight. It does not change or go anywhere. What WDH does is to change the affect of tongue weight on axle weights. This is just physics. If your tongue weight is, say 800#, and your WDH gear weighs, say 200#, you need a receiver rated > 800#+200#.

Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Otherwise how could all those undersized tv work on the road? Mfg recommendations are generally ignored, rightly or wrongly.
As for undersized TV on the road, I am yet to see a sedan/minivan tow a large trailer in person. They are that rare. Based on posts in this forum, most users of such vehicles switch to a proper TV soon after. They have limited lifespan and limited usage (local trips, favorable terrain/temperature).

rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There are many folks that tow larger Airstreams not using ton, ton or 1 ton pickups. We saw a few at the International Rally in 2015.

The CAT scales coupled with weight distribution hitches and reinforced receivers allows many non-truck vehicles to tow.

We cut off the 1,200 pound rated factory receiver on the 2012 Dodge as there were a few failure reports of the welds and I knew the 2013 25FB International Serenity tongue weight was 1,175 pounds. We installed a CURT model 15049 rated at 2,550 pounds tongue weight and a 17,000 pound trailer. I knew that capacity would cover any Airstream trailer made.

Our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI had a hitch reinforcement done at CanAm on the recall repaired factory receiver. When I towed the brand new 25FB home, the Cat scales reported all weights were within limits. After loading the 25FB for camping and having my wife also in thecae, those numbers were exceeded. Thus the truck acquisition.

The 2015 23D International Serenity loaded for camping and our gear inside the Mercedes crosses the CAT scales with adequate weight margins. That is the appropriate sized Airstream for my car.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote