Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It's easier than what you propose. Varied camera and GPS applications have suction cup arms that can be used to mount a camera in the rear window. Go to the GoPro section at Best. You will find a solution if there is not one in your garage parts box.

We are using that method. It makes for an easy install. In our application, we do not have the 12 volt source and use a jump start battery that has the cigarette lighter style socket. Lasts several days before needing a recharge.

The problems are -

The rear window collects moisture when it rains. The air flow at the back of the trailer does not pass over the rear window. The higher mount near the clearance lights is in that air flow.

The suction cup will release from time to time. Not really an issue as it works quite well and is easy to correct.

The window is a source of some distortion. There also can be condensation on the inside that distorts the image.

The view down is blocked somewhat by the internal position. The view behind is what we find to be of value.

Certainly, is an option to get a camera in place quickly while you review your options.

Travel safe. Pat

Old 07-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #30

2016 25' International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Is this model currently available and if so where?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
The 2017 specs state, "Rear View Camera Pre-wire" is standard. Does anyone know the specifics of this.

Jim.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post
The 2017 specs state, "Rear View Camera Pre-wire" is standard. Does anyone know the specifics of this.

Jim.
It's "pre wired" because they are building it into the wiring harness of all new trailers. You would still have to drill a hole in the shell and fish out the wire. You just won't have to tie into an existing 12volt wire on non "pre-wired" models.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It's easier than what you propose. Varied camera and GPS applications have suction cup arms that can be used to mount a camera in the rear window. Go to the GoPro section at Best. You will find a solution if there is not one in your garage parts box.

We are using that method. It makes for an easy install. In our application, we do not have the 12 volt source and use a jump start battery that has the cigarette lighter style socket. Lasts several days before needing a recharge.

The problems are -

The rear window collects moisture when it rains. The air flow at the back of the trailer does not pass over the rear window. The higher mount near the clearance lights is in that air flow.

The suction cup will release from time to time. Not really an issue as it works quite well and is easy to correct.

The window is a source of some distortion. There also can be condensation on the inside that distorts the image.

The view down is blocked somewhat by the internal position. The view behind is what we find to be of value.

Certainly, is an option to get a camera in place quickly while you review your options.

Travel safe. Pat
Pat,
Your solution calls for an inside mount. I think an outside mount with a high grade Ram suction device will eliminate the problems you mention and make the install much more simplified.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #34
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearForceOne View Post
Pat,
Your solution calls for an inside mount. I think an outside mount with a high grade Ram suction device will eliminate the problems you mention and make the install much more simplified.
It is possible to feed the power from the inside source to the outside, but you have to feed it past the window seal. I just did not like the idea and would not recommend it.

Rear view cameras are great - get one when you can afford it. Pat
Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Following thread for future install
Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Well, I got my voyager camera in today. Started install and the way I ran the wires for the camera was to drill into the red lens in the front and then I drilled a hole underneath the red lens and fished the wire threw the lens coming out the bottom then I nicked both wires and soldered the camera wires to them with tape covering them. Next step I cleaned the whole area and put sealer on screw wholes and around wires and around grommet where the existing wires go threw the body. Little over kill but after light was put back it was a very clean install if I say so my self. Next I installed the camera bracket with 3m tape and silka grey aluminum sealer but I didn't like the color contrast so I removed the sealer and I'm going to install clear instead. I really think the tape is strong enough but as lewster said, it's added protection. That's where I'm at so far and will keep the group updated. Hardest part so far is there is not a lot of wire to work with on the lens and then feeding that wire threw was tough because you really have to be careful because the led's are close to the front of the lens and I was worried about hitting then with the drill bit.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #37
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
We looked at the 5" Voyager camera and monitor in the wireless configuration. It is much better than our existing system, but still not what we would like.

We spent some time looking at the 7" monitor as well. Supports three cameras. What we saw was a rear, a left, and a right camera. These cameras provide quite a wide spread. However it looks to be an application for a MoHo. Anyone considered or tried using all three to get a wide angle view on their trailer? How about the outrigger cameras on the front of the coach or rear of TV? How about the utility of a split screen?

Your thoughts appreciated. Pat
Old 07-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
I just reviewed the new Voyager camera system on my youtube channel:

AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
According to ASA this comes out in August.
Thanks for the review. It was the size of the monitor that stopped me from buying this system in the past. Your review identifies that the monitor has changed and much more reasonable from a size standpoint. Now to figure out where to buy one.....

Thanks again

Doug

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #40

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losman View Post
Here's a wireless backup camera I'm thinking about buying: https://pearlauto.com/rearvision
@Losman, Did you buy the Pearl Rearvision system? They don't commit to the bluetooth/wifi connection working on an RV. Seems like an awesome solution if it works.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtipwalke View Post
@Losman, Did you buy the Pearl Rearvision system? They don't commit to the bluetooth/wifi connection working on an RV. Seems like an awesome solution if it works.
I spoke to these folks and on the surface this system looks like it might work till they told me that it was designed to only transmit a signal below 5 miles per hour. So that sort of became a deal breaker for me.

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post

Jim.
I have a 2006 Classic with the same message. Has anybody discovered where to find this wire? Somewhere I have read that the connection is near the rear right stop/turn signals, but maybe they meant the top running light. I have had the covers off the stop/turn signal lights and could not see any extra connection.