Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
Univolt to IP 9160

I'm looking at replacing the UV in my 65 caravel with an intellipower 9160 +plug-in charge wizard. I've checked thru the posts, and no one seems to have any pics of how to bypass or re -do the "city power/battery power switch box or why you would need that box after the switchover. All the wires in mine are were painted white so it's pretty confusing. how do you find a short or ground problem if the wires disappear into the wall? thanks
joe in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hi,
First off a 45 Amps would probably be more than enough for the Caravel. Just leave the switch/fuse box alone. Unless you want to update it as well. Then tear out and replace with modern auto fuses. You will need some kind of transfer switch. The wires should all be 12 volt in the box. The 110 is in the rear by the Univolt. The Univolt is in the rear by the bath. That Univolt puts out 19 volts DC as well as 12 volts. The 19V ran the Exhaust fan and roof vent.

I think all the grounds (white wires) are tied together in that front area. So just pull a wire nut off the black and see what goes out.