Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Montreal , Quebec
univolt replacement

Allo,

I am the midle of refreshing the rear bathroom of the argosy"lynda", everything is going quite well, thow a bit longer than i had expected"still at it".......... while plugged into shore power"110volt", I unplugged the UNIVOLT to remove the roted flor, and the lights and radio lost power is this normal I thought when plugged to land power u did not need the univolt ??

And in the future"near" i would like to replace the univot to more modern system, what would be the proper replacement, my univot has the glass fuses inside the unit.

THANKS, merci

_____Ron
rbn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
[QUOTE=rbn9;1650003]Allo,

I am the midle of refreshing the rear bathroom of the argosy"lynda", everything is going quite well, thow a bit longer than i had expected"still at it".......... while plugged into shore power"110volt", I unplugged the UNIVOLT to remove the roted flor, and the lights and radio lost power is this normal I thought when plugged to land power u did not need the univolt ??

And in the future"near" i would like to replace the univot to more modern system, what would be the proper replacement, my univot has the glass fuses inside the unYep, that's normal.

The Univolt takes 120v AC power and sends it to 120v outlets and also converts it to 12v DC power and sends it to your 12v system. That's a really simplified explanation from someone who isn't much of an electrical expert. When you disconnect your converter (univolt in this case) you disconnect the 12v system. I know there's a much better explanation out there - do a search for "univolt" and you'll get a LOT of information.

I got rid of my univolt and replaced it with an Intellipower 9245, as many on this forum have done. I re-used my glass fuse box, although others have replaced it with new automotive type blade fuses. Do a search and you'll find a lot of info.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Montreal , Quebec
Thank's

Thank's for all the infos. I will try to find here local the Intellipower 9245, I will need a new fuse box, the actual one is part of the old univolt

merci

____ron,
rbn9 is offline   Reply With Quote