Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Opelika , Alabama
To go AC or DC on systems?

I'm looking at a water pressure regulator system http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/beve...ter-system.htm

It comes in AC and DC. Any suggestions on which I should get? Since I would probably be using it at campgrounds, while plugged in and connected to their water line, I'm leaning to AC. But Amazon is full of people who've left positive reviews for the 12V version. Any suggestions?
racecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
RV water pumps are almost 100% 12 volt.

There are many instances when you may need a water supply and not be connected to 110.

Go with the 12 volt - the size, cost, and reliability are built into the system.

Generally, volume tanks are not required on RV's. The pressure demand switches built into the pumps are adequate to provide sufficient flow and pressure to typical RV's.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Opelika , Alabama
This application is a little different than a water pump. It's a pressure regulator mainly used to establish stable water pressure at a campground. Considering it would only be used while connected to city water or campground water, do you think the 110 volt would be better since it doesn't touch the battery?
racecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
That thing is going to take a huge space, and for it to work well I think it is going to require a rather large inlet or to be very close to the tank.

I installed a traditional RV pump that delivers 3 gpm, it does pretty well at delivering nice showers.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecannon View Post
This application is a little different than a water pump. It's a pressure regulator mainly used to establish stable water pressure at a campground. Considering it would only be used while connected to city water or campground water, do you think the 110 volt would be better since it doesn't touch the battery?
It's a water pump with a pressure tank attached. Get it in 12V.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:

Here is my take, if you want this for campground use, by all means buy the 120 volt version.

Revising my above comments, since this is going to be used in the campground, pulling from the pressurized water flow of the campground, my comments about the large supply lines do not apply.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Canyon Lake , Texas
Send a message via ICQ to dparsons
An AC device pulling power off the batteries through an inverter will consume more of the batteries' power than and equivalent DC device that pulls power directly from the batteries. So if there are going to be at least some instances where you are using this while on battery power, I would go with the DC version.
dparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I may be dense, but in the years I've been using RV's from Class A to fold downs, a simple pressure regulator attached to the city water connection seems to do a very good job of pressure regulation, and they are not expensive...

For whatever it's worth

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I'm looking at a water pressure regulator system http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/beve...ter-system.htm

It comes in AC and DC. Any suggestions on which I should get? Since I would probably be using it at campgrounds, while plugged in and connected to their water line, I'm leaning to AC. But Amazon is full of people who've left positive reviews for the 12V version. Any suggestions?
Why would you want one?

If the water pressure in the campground is low, can't you just fill the freshwater tank in your trailer as needed (from the campground water supply), and use that?

That said, either 12v or 120v would work. If you're using it as a portable unit outside the trailer, I guess I'd use 120v. If you're permanently mounting it, use whatever power supply is available at the location you've chosen.