Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2003, 07:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Smile Systems Manual

Hello to all. My husband and I just purchased a 67 Safari and are a little bit overwhelmed! I have read all the posts here and now am thinking we had better do a little more inspecting to figure out what needs to be done. We haven't taken delivery yet as we are waiting on a quick title for the current owner so she can then title the trailer to us. Our concern is that this lady has never used this unit so she doesn't know what works and what does not work. She has owned it for 9 years but never got around to restoring it. We are looking for any information available for the systems--refrigerator, heating, electric, plumbing, wiring, etc., etc., diagrams, manuals, and whatever else might be helpful as we try to figure out what we got ourselves into! We will have the model that has the dinette curbside and the settee in the bow. I can't wait to get it home here and start getting it ready for the summer. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1967 Safari Systems Manuals

Greetings Lana!

Welcome to the Forum and to the world of Vintage Airstreaming.

The Safari that you have will make for many wonderful memories as you get acquainted with its systems. There wasn't a service manual for Airstream products until the 1970s. Owner's manuals were provided with each Airstream sold beginning in 1964 - - these manuals are quite general in regard to the various systems in the trailer, but will give you a good start to understanding. Copies of the original owner's manual can be obtained from:

Quote:
The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972. You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:
Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885
Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
*The above information is quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club web site FAQ section.

Once you know the manufacturer, model name and/or number for the appliances in the coach, someone on the Forum will likely be able to point you in the direction of copies of the necessary manuals for the individual appliances.

Good luck with your Safari!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:45 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin. I guess we will have to be extra careful taking things apart to make sure we can figure out how they go back together! Whenever I take things apart, I always seem to have extra parts at the end that I can't figure out where they were in the first place!

Lana
Old 01-02-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hi Lana,

A good reference & repair manual for RV systems is a paper back book called "Repair & Maintenance Manual" by Bob Livingston. It is published by Trailer Life Books. The manual is not specific to Airstreams or even travel trailers, but does have a lot of information on systems used in most all RV's. I got mine at Camping World, and have used it many times. I even take it with me on trips. . . just in case.

Good lucck in your new adventure.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1967 Safari Systems Manual

Greetings Lana!

One thing that you might consider when working on a restoration project for your Airstream is taking photos during its progress - - I use a digital camera for such purposes, but a "Polaroid" works equally as well. Your Caravel is a popular Vintage unit, and if you do encounter problems there will likely be a number of owners on this Forum or the Vintage Airstream Club Discussion List who can provide infromation on the problem and its solution.

Good luck with your Caravel - - it is a wonderful size for impromptu trips and is one of the reasons that I acquired my similarly sized Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Les. I will definately order that manual from Camping World. I have purchased from them before but hadn't thought about looking for a generic book on systems. I went to their website and it's very reasonable and from the sound of it very helpful.

Kevin you are so right about the picture taking. With both myself and husband working full time we might tear something apart and not get around to putting it back for a few weeks or more and my memory is VERY short lived. It's a lot easier to refer back to a picture than to get frustrated trying to put things back together by trial and error. My husband has been wanting a digital camera so this is just an excuse to get one!

Thanks a bunch.

Lana
Old 01-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Welcome to Safari ownership.Ours,like yours was unused for some time before our purchase.The owner said the appliances used to work,but I found they most needed minor or major service.Things don't do well when they sit around too long!Fortunately I got the orig.manual with the trailer so that provided alot of good service info.Get the reprint.The Dometric frig is tricky and so is the Suburban furnace.Fortunately they mostly need cleaning and adjusting and maybe a thermocouple and you're on the road.I had to pull out the water heater and do a overhaul on the tank from corrosion,but was able to save it with some ingenuity and time.I'm happy to share my trials and advice with you-that's what this forum is all about.I'm getting ready to polish her up now,so am stripping the remainder of the old clearcoat and experimenting with the Nuvite polish.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote