Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Power problem

Hi all of you,
I have a problem with 2 plugs in my Overlander 1972 (on left, going front, after the fridge and above the coach).
Actually I check out with a tester and by myself, and it seams that there's power but if I plug any kind of thing, like my computer or my mobile phone, nothing happen...
Any one can help me to find out what's going on...
thank's
david
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Possibly a loose wire inside the outlet? Have you measured the voltage with a meter or a test light? It should read 110v to 120 or so with a meter. It is possible that the socket itself is faulty. You may just want to replace it.

BUT....BE CAREFUL!! If you don't know how to do this stuff, get somebody to help you that does! You can get hurt (or worse) very quiclly with 30 amp/110v.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I would just unplug the trailer form any power source to be sure, check with your meter that any outlet in the trailer that is known to be good is deenergized and then replace the outlet altogether.
Make sure that the black wire to the outlet goes to the small slot side on the outlet and the white goes to the larger slot. On most outlets the screws on the small slot side (the hot side) are sort of yellowish in color. The neutral side (large slot side) gets the white wire and the screws are silvery in color.
Don’t forget to connect the ground wire.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Talking

I had the same exact situation in my 72 Overlander and it was simply as previously stated... a loose wire on the side terminal of one of the plugs. Unplug your trailer from shore power, and remove the outlet plate to inspect. I had to strip back the wire a bit for a better connection, but there was not much wire length to work with. It was a fairly simple fix... one of the few fairly simple fixes in my renovation job!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Remember that the outlets are wired in series, the failure may not be at the ones that are not working. It may be at the outlet or fuse that is located just before the one that fails. I would kill the shore power and visually check each connection for tightness. White is nuetral and black is hot, you need both.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
AZ-Good point. I just went out and checked my '73 and it is wired in this order: .......beginning at the fridge, next to the TV, next to the Roadside Gaucho connection Dufferin is having a problem with, last connection is actually the curbside, outside connection next to the door. (I've still got my TT apart in the backyard working on it).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Actually,
I tried almost all of the tips you gave me in the meantime. I do not have web at the camp. so I did it by my own, and I am not that much used to deal with electric-wire problems. I checked the both outlet with a lamp tester, I do not know if I get 110-120 or less, I need to buy a voltmeter. I did change the outlet but it doesn't work.
I did check the outlet placed before those doesn't work. And especially the one for fridge. Seems ok.
I will retry everything...
Anyway thank you for your help...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
ok,
I did unpluged every outlet and re plug them, and now everything is working,
so I did learn something : if you have a problem, try to "remove" and "reinstall" the appliance... do it slowly be sharp in doing it, and it might work...
thanks for your help,