Old 12-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Please help---> household current plug in

All,

I purchased my 63 GT 7 months ago and from what I remember, seller had the trailer plugged into an extension cord(regular every day orange extension cord) from his garage to single exterior outlet on lower street side of trailer.

For the 1st time I am attempting to plug my extension cord into this outlet and I see the outlet is a FEMALE plug in - Not the male style I have used before.

Is there a special adapter(male-male) used for this outlet??

Any help appreciated!

Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Photos would help us understand what you are looking at.

GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, what the seller was doing is ...errr.... a bit non-standard. They did a back feed on the outside socket on the trailer. That's not normally the recommended way to do things. Far better to go in through a standard shore power connector, even if it's fed by a normal house circuit.

Step one would be to locate the shore power connection and check to see that it is ok ( = not broken in some way).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
here are photos - this is the outlet the seller(previous owner)had extension cord plugged into when i tested interior lights - he had no battery in the trailer

**also when i tested the 110v lights, the small orange light on top of circuit breaker box in rear closet was glowing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	329332   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	329333  

Old 12-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Shore Power Connection for 1963 Globe Trotter

Greetings n2916s!

You have a situation very similar to what I had with my 1964 Overlander its original Bargman power connector had been replaced by an electrical outlet with an extension cord having two male plugs on it -- a very dangerous situation posing immediate possibility of electrical shock. I never used the "make-do" arrangement and had a more modern entrance installed (1995) and more recently (2008) had a Marino entrance installed. In 1995, I also had a new circuit breaker box installed to replace the fuse box as well as a new power converter.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, what the seller was doing is ...errr.... a bit non-standard. They did a back feed on the outside socket on the trailer. That's not normally the recommended way to do things. Far better to go in through a standard shore power connector, even if it's fed by a normal house circuit.

Step one would be to locate the shore power connection and check to see that it is ok ( = not broken in some way).

Bob
bob - i have done nothing since bringing the trailer home in august - have not tried hooking up household current - i am just starting retoration and wanted to use the interior outlets so attempted to plug in my extension cord in the outlet in photos above - since i have done nothing since testing lights/outlets prior to purchase, i assume everything would be functioning the same if i use this outlet
question is what type of adapter can i use??
Old 12-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
here are photos - this is the outlet the seller(previous owner)had extension cord plugged into when i tested interior lights - he had no battery in the trailer

**also when i tested the 110v lights, the small orange light on top of circuit breaker box in rear closet was glowing
Hi

That seems to be a pretty typical outside outlet. My guess is that the shore power inlet is somewhere else on the trailer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
VERY DANGEROUS

WALK AWAY

this is VERY illegal and can easily kill someone.
get it fixed ASAP

IMHO, think about getting a smart-plug as a replacement
mush more sturdy and less likely to arc or heat up.

find them on amazon

many postings about the smart plug in this forum
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
can anyone please tell me where the original shore power plug in was located on my 63 GT??
there are no other exterior or interior plug ins for household current?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1963 Globe Trotter

Greetings groovzilla!

Quote:
can anyone please tell me where the original shore power plug in was located on my 63 GT??
there are no other exterior or interior plug ins for household current?

I am almost certain that you are the victim of a previous owner's modification as I was. According to the Airstream Document Archives, your coach was originally equipped with a permanently attached 25' power cord that would have been stored in a compartment in the rear bumper. The alternate that was used on some coaches of the time period was a Bargman connector that would have been installed in a box of similar design to that used by your standard outlet -- but if that were the case and that original cord disappeared, the connector was obsolete by the 1990s and owners often resorted to "unusual" and sometimes dangerous fixes as is the case with the double male extension cord that was used by the previous owner of my coach and evidently was done by the previous owner of your coach. Both the trailer and cord ends of the Bargman connectors are unobtanium today so the best advice I can offer is to research and choose a modern RV connector that you have confidence in and make the conversion. Back in 2008 when I made the most recent conversion on my Overlander, I went with the Marinco entrance as mentioned earlier. It truly is not safe to try to connect your coach with the setup that you now have.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: Your 120-Volt AC fuse box is most likely in the rear wardrobe/closet near the bathroom. Your coach would not have had a Univolt from the factory as they were not offered until 1964.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
**kevin,

i have company coming for dinner but ran outside and looked everywhere - in the side vented compartment just behind the refrigerator, there is a cut thick cord which looks like the end of the original shore power cord - it is located near the outlet described above - it has black electrical tape covering the end.

i will get photos and research and post tomorrow

thank you everyone for your help and insight!

regards from seattle!
Old 12-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
update - i was able to contact seller of trailer(previous owner) - he explained that he made a home made "male/male" adapter so he could plug into house power.

i am taking everyone's advice and changing over to a safer setup
i'm inspecting the old/cut shore power cord tomorrow and see if that can be used - if not, the current female outlet wiring is going to circuit breaker and everything is functioning properly

i'll get some photos/info posted tomorrow

all the best!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
update - i was able to contact seller of trailer(previous owner) - he explained that he made a home made "male/male" adapter so he could plug into house power.

i am taking everyone's advice and changing over to a safer setup
i'm inspecting the old/cut shore power cord tomorrow and see if that can be used - if not, the current female outlet wiring is going to circuit breaker and everything is functioning properly

i'll get some photos/info posted tomorrow

all the best!
Here is what you need.
Leviton 4937-15 amp receptacle.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
He probable had a bogus Male-Male extension cord. By plugging into an outlet you will have power on any circuit on that buss.
(I have seen that as a way to power a few things on a house from a generator during a power outage) It's totally illegal and dangerous.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags