Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
New Lifeline AGM 31 group depleted batteries

New 4 stage converter charger & 2 New but depleted Lifeline GPL-31T Batteries -2006 AS classic

I have two 31 group Lifeline AGMs bought a year ago with a depleted voltage as low as 5.3 v & 3.5 v. No charge on them since new and just took them out of the boxes for regular charging 2 days ago at the battery plus store near me. After two days of charging, they got 12.40 V and 12.6 V OCV respectively with 10.5 V @ Load. How do I get these batteries to 13 + OCV ? I read in Lifeline manual about Deep Discharge Recovery ? Are these batteries gone or put them in the AS and let my 4 stage Progressive Dynamic / Power max Boondocker go to work and hopefully I will be fine. Your input please. Thanks
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Make sure that you are using a AGM charger a regular battery charger will not work.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Unfortunately, your new 1 year old Lifelines may be toast. There is a specific procedure outlined in the Lifeline tech manual that is akin to 'equalizing' liquid lead acid batteries, though different, that can restore the full capacity that your batteries are now missing.

This is a very delicate procedure that involves putting a 'controlled' over-charge to the Lifelines at a very precise voltage and amperage. Standard converters will NOT perform thus task suitably.

The down side is the potential total ruination of your batteries if this CONDITIONING CHARGE is not applied correctly. Too much voltage or amperage will cause the one-way valve on a Lifeline to open, releasing hydrogen sulfide vapor.

This is not a problem with liquid lead acid batteries, as you simply add more distilled water back into the cells. This is not possible with a sealed AGM battery.

You need a variable DC power source for both voltage and amperage to perform the technique correctly. This is something left to a battery professional WITH EXPERIENCE in conditioning Lifeline batteries.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Unfortunately, your new 1 year old Lifelines may be toast. There is a specific procedure outlined in the Lifeline tech manual that is akin to 'equalizing' liquid lead acid batteries, though different, that can restore the full capacity that your batteries are now missing.

This is a very delicate procedure that involves putting a 'controlled' over-charge to the Lifelines at a very precise voltage and amperage. Standard converters will NOT perform thus task suitably.

The down side is the potential total ruination of your batteries if this CONDITIONING CHARGE is not applied correctly. Too much voltage or amperage will cause the one-way valve on a Lifeline to open, releasing hydrogen sulfide vapor.

This is not a problem with liquid lead acid batteries, as you simply add more distilled water back into the cells. This is not possible with a sealed AGM battery.

You need a variable DC power source for both voltage and amperage to perform the technique correctly. This is something left to a battery professional WITH EXPERIENCE in conditioning Lifeline batteries.

Lewster,
Thank you so much for your candid advice. I will try and find a professional battery charging place, hope I get lucky. Thanks again.

MoFlash _ Appreciate your response and I will report back on my finding.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The right charger is the key with this type of battery
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The right charger is the key with this type of battery
While that is so true, when AGMs get depleted in this manner, only proper 'conditioning' will potentially bring them back to close to their original storage capacity. Without providing these batteries with this conditioning charge, they will re-charge, but to much lower voltage levels than new, providing diminished service.

AGM batteries (and Lifelines in particular), require a bulk/acceptance charge of 14.2-14.3 VDC AT 77ºF. This is extremely important, as lower voltages are required in higher ambient temperatures and greater voltage are required at lower temps. They should get a float charge at 13.2 VDC, again at 77ºF.

This is the primary reason that even good converters like the PD-9200 series (which do not provide the exact charge voltages needed for Lifelines, but are close)still do not compensate for temperature, but a quality inverter/charger like Magnum Energy does, and also has per-set charging profiles for the different types of deep cycle batteries found on RVs and boats.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Thanks all for your feedback. I replaced the batteries with 2 new Lifeline GPL-31XT (125AH each) and a 4 stage PowerMax Boomdocker. They are pretty heavy at 74 LBs each but they fit right in the OEM battery compartment without modification ( took the entire space with little breathing space top & sides). GPL -27, 31T and 31XT are all about same size. GPL-31T and GPL-31XT have the same dimensions but 31XT is 10LBs heavier and 20 Amp Hour more. Have a total of 250AH now compared to 180AH on 24 group stock. Furnace should run 2-3 days before recharging hopefully, will find out and report back.