Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Generators - Poor Choice For Charging Batteries?

Why do so many people on this forum continue to think that a generator is the best way for charging batteries when off-grid? (A generator does have value if you need it to power your air conditioner, for example.)

I believe it is more effective to use the charging output from your tow vehicle by using "jumper cables” or a DC-DC charger, hooked directly to the trailer batteries than a generator when boondocking, using solar on a cloudy day or in the shade, and your batteries are becoming depleted.

Most vehicles used for towing with a ‘tow package’ have an alternator capable of putting out more than 140 amps vs 30 amps max from shore power or generator through the trailer converter/charger? (The DC-DC charger linked above can charge at 25 amps.) If you have a gasoline-powered TV it is much quieter than any portable generator although some models of diesel trucks are quite too, but most that I have heard are louder than the portable generators, but if boondocking this might not be an issue.

It is important to understand that these charging conditions are present whether on shore power or using a generator if you are in “Use” mode, which of course on pre-2018 model airstreams was the only way the converter/charger connects to the batteries.

To paraphrase the Parallax Power FAQ the main issue with the Airstream Converter/Charger lies more with the application of the technology than the technology itself.

"In a typical RV 12-volt electrical system, the converter/charger and the battery or battery bank is connected in parallel with the rest of the 12-volt distribution system. In 'parallel' means where the charging source (converter/charger) positive and negative output is electrically connected to both the battery bank positive and negative, and the 12-volt distribution system positive and negative, at the same time.

The voltage output of the converter, even with a 'smart charger', is based on a 'detected' battery voltage. (The converter with a 'smart charger' feature claims to 'monitor' and respond to battery condition while connected to the entire 12-volt system.) Unless the charging source (converter) has a separate or isolated charging output, a converter or charger can’t effectively differentiate requirements of the batteries from other 12 volt loads while simultaneously connected to the rest of the 12-volt distribution system in the RV.

Detected use or voltage change on the RV 12-volt load system (i.e. lights, pumps, etc. being turned on) generally keeps these devices at a 13.6 -13.8 'float' voltage.

This raises the question whether any real additional benefit (i.e. full charging) is being provided to the battery bank by using the converter/charger with a generator."
Old 12-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Charging Ratios

If I understand your question properly, all the methods can boost a charge pending situation. What the battery wants to see repetitively maximizing its life is another matter.

However most gens have unregulated “brute force” direct 12v +- charging capacity. This is not recommended as the only charge method by many as it cannot deliver a calculated smart charge to a battery/bank especially when wet, agm and lithium all prefer different charging voltages and patterns.. But ok in emergency.

Depending Converter model and battery technology combo can greatly vary the charge current able to be safely delivered to the battery and for longer life.

For example the PD4655 converter has the ability to deliver 55 amps total. If this converter is charging traditional wet cells,
the recommended safe/long term life current will be “far less”than say a superior rated AGM battery (or lithium) battery technology which can safely charge at far greater current levels and optimum required voltages per battery.

This means 3-5x safer, faster charging from gen using smart charger or converter. Far Less fuel or solar charge times too. Again, considering the longest capable life of battery. (Sample chart for example)

Randy at Best Converters can simplify this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ECFFC33-0600-4196-9084-CBDB6A36291D.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	329303  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, on my truck, I am not going to get 140 amps at idle. There is also the question of: do I want to high idle my 5 liter diesel prime mover for X hours a year or should I plug in my $900 Honda and let it do what it is designed to do?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I don't know whether the "smart" converter/chargers are designed this way or not, but I suspect they could slightly increase the the charging voltage and measure the current increase taken by the combined load. A discharged battery will (I think) take more current for a given voltage increase than a resistive load like a light bulb or an inductive load like the furnace motor. The charger could then adjust its output voltage or current as required for the estimated state of charge of the battery.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Generators - Poor Choice For Charging Batteries?

Yes, but there are 12vdc appliances and lamps in that circuit so varying the voltage is not ideal.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Maybe people in general can overthink things at times.

My TV will charge my trailer batteries when I’m towing, and can be used in a pinch if my batteries become discharged, but if I need a charge and I have my generator with me, I’m going to use it because it’s easy to use, and it wont use much gas while topping off my cells.

1.6 gallons might last me twelve hours when not running my air conditioner, a vehicle at idle will use somewhere in the neighborhood of a gallon an hour.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My Yamaha 2000i kept me charged for 14 days while boondocking in Nevada a couple years ago, mean while I had the use of my truck to do other things. To each their own, but I like the generator as a backup for off the grid power.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Why do so many people on this forum continue to think that a generator is the best way for charging batteries when off-grid?"

I still think that. All I have to do is start the generator and plug in the trailer. Why would I want to fool around with all the jumping and cabling required to hook it to the truck? Would my alternator actually find the trailer batter and charge it with two full Optimas hooked to it under the hood? Why would I want to idle a 300 hp diesel engine to charge 2 batteries? My truck does not charge my trailer battery when I am driving. I can drive all day and the trailer battery voltage does not go up. Why would it charge when it is sitting still and idling?

So here is why I still think that: $900 bucks for a generator. Have been using it 10 years so far. About 1/2 gallon a fuel an hour. Fairly quiet. Not much exhaust output. Backup power when 110 is needed. Can leave it run when gone in the truck. No hookup. Not much danger of a short or overcharge. I do not like to idle the truck.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Most vehicles used for towing with a ‘tow package’ have an alternator capable of putting out more than 140 amps vs 30 amps max from shore power or generator through the trailer converter/charger?
First, look up the alternator output at engine idle rpm. It won’t be 140 amps. Second, 140 amps may be at 6000 rpm for the alternator, so check the pulley ratios and see what engine rpm that relates to.

Then calculate watts, a measure of power. 140 amps when it is at 12 volts isn’t directly comparable to 30 amps at 120 volts.

Finally, it is not a good idea to idle a vehicle engine for extended periods at light loads as a matter of course. It is fine in an emergency. You will generally pay in increased maintenance and repair costs.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's two ways to use the generator to charge the batteries.
1. Hook the AC power cord to it and allow the converter to operate as if you were plugged into shore power.
2. Connect the 12 v. Charge Port on the generator directly to the batteries. (I've never tried this.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Both of our Airstreams have Magnum chargers/inverters. The AC power inlet(s) go directly to the Magnum. The solar panels provide power to the solar charge controller and then to the Magnum. AC shore power passes thru the Magnum relay to the AC main fuse of the trailer.

The Magnum takes care of keeping the lithium batteries topped up and, when off grid, powering every 120Vac outlet or appliance in the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We use a 2000 Honda plugged in to our as to charge the batteries when in the boondocks...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
That generator puts out 8 amps at 12-volts DC and 13 amps 120-volts AC (at full tilt.). No where near what your TV alternator can put out at fast idle. The 25 amp DC-DC charger, linked above puts out 25 amps 12-volts and cost less than $400.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When people talk about charging batteries with a generator, they mean plugging the trailer into the generator and using the internal converter / charger to top up the batteries. I don't know of anybody who uses the "charge" output on one of these generators.

As noted in multiple comments above, your truck alternator really isn't going to put out 120A or 140A at a normal idle speed. If you get 40A at the end of those cables, you are doing pretty well (yes, I've used jumper cables a lot of times over the years ...).

If you put a voltmeter on the far end of those jumper cables (running at normal idle), the voltage you are putting on the batteries really isn't as high as you would like. Getting to 100% charge will be problematic as a result. The truck charging system simply isn't set up to do this. That's not a knock on the truck, you simply are asking it to do something it never was intended to do.

If the batteries really *need* charging, you are in for a 4+ hour session. Even with a generator, the last few hours burn a lot of gas for few(er) amps into the battery. Comparatively, those last hours are fantastically efficient compared to a truck engine (at any point in the process) run to do the charging. That's also ignoring any wear and tear issues related to long idle periods on a gas or diesel truck engine. I can throw away a typical generator and buy a new one for way less than an engine rebuild will cost on my truck.

Next up - if the alternator *did* put out 140A into the batteries ( = you fast rev the engine for 4 hours) ... is this a good thing? According to most battery data sheets the answer is no. They don't want you to hit the typical RV battery with that level of charge current. The "stock" chargers are rated at what the battery guys think is a good idea. You can indeed get *much* larger chargers for not much more money if the batteries liked that sort of charge.

A converter / charger's voltage profile is far better adapted to charging RV batteries than the alternator on a truck. The whole "multistage" thing is indeed the issue here. The truck system simply is not set up the same way. That may not make a big difference for topping things up (or not) rolling down the road. For full cycle charging ... it matters.

Truck alternators do not last forever. Run them at full output for long periods of time ... hmmm.... good luck. Even an alternator rebuild costs more than the typical brand new converter / charger. Indeed, blowing alternator diodes jumping dead cars *is* a common thing. ( = been there / done that and have lots of friends who have as well ....).

So lots of reasons ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Our real world experience => generator topped off the bank in the hour before quiet time. Our night was warm and normal. Same with the site two up from us. Two sites down, the solar did not charge as they were in the shade. Tow vehicle was used and used. Not sure how their night went, but my impression was that they were not happy campers. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #16
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
I agree with JCL. Using my 6.7L Cummins diesel to spin an alternator to charge trailer batteries when I can use a much cheaper generator to deliver AC power to the entire trailer and charge the batteries sounds much more appealing.

I have 340 watts from solar panels on my roof and a Honda 2000i generator. The two sources used together will charge my 315 Amp-hr batteries in a few hours.

I would also like hear more about alternators that can produce 140Amps at 12 volts and I would like to see the size of the cable one would need to get 140 Amps from an automobile alternator to my trailers batteries
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrockett View Post
... I would like to see the size of the cable one would need to get 140 Amps from an automobile alternator to my trailers batteries
I use 2 gauge cables.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
That generator puts out 8 amps at 12-volts DC and 13 amps 120-volts AC (at full tilt.). No where near what your TV alternator can put out at fast idle. The 25 amp DC-DC charger, linked above puts out 25 amps 12-volts and cost less than $400.
The converter-charger in modern Airstreams puts out 55A or more (at 13v) when running off any shore-power input, whether that's from a generator or a power pole at a campground. So, if you're in a state where the battery can actually accept higher amperage (only a fraction of the charge cycle) that's available to you. Unless your converter-charger is broken, there's no rational reason to directly charge your battery with the low-output 12v unregulated output from a generator.

The 25A DC-DC charger you're describing can put out about 320W (12.7v*25A). My Briggs & Stratton generator can put out 2200W peak (18.33A*120v), 1700W (14.16A*120v) continuous and running that through the converter-charger makes about 700W (55A*12.7v) of charging available to the batteries, if they can use it. And it's not putting unnecessary wear on my tow vehicle that's not designed to idle for long periods by forcing it to operate out of its performance envelope. I paid just over $500 for the generator, and it'll save WAY more than $100 of wear on my truck plus I can use it with its twin to run the AC in the summertime.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Even with your small numbers (you're quoting the continuous output rather than the "full tilt") and rounded to whole watts:

Honda: 13 amps * 120V = 1560W

car-charger: 25 amps * 12.7v = 318W

If you want to look at just what's available for battery charging:

Honda+ built in converter charger: 55A*12.7V = 699W

car-charger: 25 amps * 12.7v = 318W

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Misleading comparisons

"That generator puts out 8 amps at 12-volts DC and 13 amps 120-volts AC (at full tilt.).

It sounds as if you're comparing amps at 12 V to amps at 120 V. But those 13 amps at 120 V you mentioned are equivalent to 130 amps at 12 V. To compare apples to apples, the generator in question produces 48 watts at 12 VDC, but 1,560 watts at 120 VAC. The DC/DC converter you mentioned produces 300 watts at 12 VDC.

48 watts doesn't sound like much, and it isn't. Most small generators (e.g., the popular Hondas) have minimal 12VDC output. Charging batteries from their 12 V terminals is slow and inefficient. But using the generator's much more powerful 120 VAC output to feed a converter/charger is a whole different ball game. Even with Airstream's stock converter, that gives you 55 amps--more than twice what your DC/DC converter can deliver.

"No where near what your TV alternator can put out at fast idle."

But in your proposed scheme, you only get 25 amps of charging from that DC/DC converter, so it doesn't matter how many amps your tow vehicle's alternator is capable of generating. Talking about 140 amps is irrelevant when the converter acts as a 25-amp bottleneck.

In short, even if extended idling of your tow vehicle's engine were good for it (which it isn't), and even if that large engine were as fuel-efficient as the small engine in a generator (which it isn't), your amp-to-amp comparisons are misleading.

By the way, just to make my biases clear: I don't own a generator, and I don't charge my house batteries with my truck (even when driving). I rely exclusively on solar panels, which work well for me. I'm not saying my way is the "right" way; just pointing out that I have no particular axe to grind here, other than seeing apples compared to apples. :-)
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote