Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornvango View Post

In the meantime, on the rest of our trip, the battery will get charged when we drive every few days. I also bought a battery charger (75/20). If I don't have an electrical hookup to plug it into, I will use the RV portable generator (Yamaha 2000) to plug the battery charger into.
I have a Honda 1000 watt genny. It has a 12v battery charger built into it. Does the Yamaha 2000 not have this feature?

Dan

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Open Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
...FWIW a surge protector of any make or design will not protect you from this fault here or elsewhere.
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking so. Everyone needs to learn what an open neutral is.

Can you be more specific about this comment? Please see the link in post 8 above. My unit detected an open neutral in a KOA park in the US.

Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Open neutral 30 amp is a whole different animal than open neutral RV service 50 amp. Nonetheless a warning is something other than a service disconnect.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Would one of these outlet testers be a good idea for testing before you plug in?

Supplementary instructions: If it explodes into a ball of fire when you plug it in, do not plug in your trailer.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Would one of these outlet testers be a good idea for testing before you plug in?

Supplementary instructions: If it explodes into a ball of fire when you plug it in, do not plug in your trailer.
I'll defer to an electrical guru when they check in; this will give you some info when you plug it into a receptacle, but I don't believe it will tell you that you have an open neutral that will result in the voltage to the trailer being 240 volts instead of the 120 volts that you want. Ie. the tester does not measure the line voltage. So the answer to your question is yes, it is a good idea to test, but this tester does not measure the line voltage. For this you need a voltmeter or a test light bulb, per Jammer.

Dan
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
An Alternative with Real Time Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I'll defer to an electrical guru when they check in; this will give you some info when you plug it into a receptacle, but I don't believe it will tell you that you have an open neutral that will result in the voltage to the trailer being 240 volts instead of the 120 volts that you want. Ie. the tester does not measure the line voltage. So the answer to your question is yes, it is a good idea to test, but this tester does not measure the line voltage. For this you need a voltmeter or a test light bulb, per Jammer.

Dan
The attachment is one alternative to a test light for those unskilled in the use of such devices. There are other brands available, and similar devices are available for 50 amp, 240 Volt RV applications. I have no financial interest in any of these companies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CpWz-PI.png
Views:	50
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	206798  
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Some thoughts...

1. I keep one of those cheap 'outlet testers' plugged into the galley's outlet to see if our AC power is correct any time we hook up to shore power...

2. Mexico uses 60hz everywhere we've been over the years - I thought 50hz was a European thing...??

3. The DC charging feature on most small inverter type generators is only rated at about 10 Amps - using this feature will take LOTS of running time if your batteries are depleted - I use the 1.5 'rule' for recharging - if your 80 Amp Hr battery is 1/2 depleted, you'll need to 'pump' 40 amp hours back into it for a full charge; using a 10 amp chg'r, 40/10=4 (hrs) x 1.5 = 6 hours on the charger...! You'll be much better off finding a higher rated AC powered charger for quicker recharges...

3.1...Charging from your 7-way tow vehicle's system isn't much faster that the above, due to the small wire sizes that limit available charging current..this works on the road when you have hours & hours of travel but not very good for trying to recharge when you're stationary just idling your vehicle...

4. We use those power strip protectors for all our major components plugged into Ac power inside our AS - TV, Sat receiver, DVD player into one...Microwave & phone chargers into another - while 'open ground' protection may be questionable, these devices do protect your stuff from voltage surges or spikes - I've seen them 'blow' at home when we have power outages restored with BIG power spikes...

5. It's true, electronic device prices seem much higher in Mexico - You'll probably be $'s ahead to just replace your microwave & converter/charger when you get back across the border - or - the converter might have an internal 'fuse' device that's blown and would cheaper to repair...

Hope you're having fun down there, otherwise...
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I have the Progressive Industries EMS-HW 30 C. This is much more than a surge protector. It monitors the incoming power as soon as you plug into the pedestal and will not allow current to flow if there are any faults with the power. High/Low voltage. High/Low current. Open Neutral. Open Ground. It also continuously monitors and will disconnect power at the first sign of trouble. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new AC or Microwave or Refer. Oh, and it's also a surge protector.

EMS-HW30C

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote