Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Disconnecting Inverter

Our FC has the newer style inverter that doesn't require separate outlets. I assume that there is a relay that switches the outlet over to the inverter when there is no shore power present.

My question is whether or not there would be a problem with me disconnecting the inverter from our battery pack and leaving it disconnected. We only use the 110 when we are on shore power and never use it when boon docking. In other words, we have never used the inverter and do not see ourselves using it.

Most of our camping is boon docking and we are very conservative with our power usage. Because the inverter adds to the parasitic loads and because it has no on/off switch, I'd like to simply disconnect its negative wire from the battery terminal.

Would there be any harm in doing this and would we still be able to use the outlets when on shore power?

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I would try disconnecting the positive terminal, not the negative terminal. Why?, because there might be another path to ground resulting in parasitic current drain.

There should be a fuse in series with the positive connection from the inverter to your batteries. I would try removing the fuse and see if your outlets are still hot when connected to shore power. I don't see there being much risk of doing harm since the lack of a fuse shouldn't result in a secondary failure.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Thanks Al. There is no fuse between the battery and the inverter. There is, however, a circuit breaker built into the front panel of the inverter. Unfortunately it is not the time with an on/off switch but simply has a reset button should it be tripped. Your comment about disconnecting the positive rather than the negative lead makes perfect sense. The trailer is presently in storage for the winter but when I pull her out and put the batteries back in I intend to disconnect the positive lead to the inverter and then see if the outlets still work on shore power. Assuming they work then I'll just leave the inverter disconnected.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Thanks Al. There is no fuse between the battery and the inverter. There is, however, a circuit breaker built into the front panel of the inverter. Unfortunately it is not the time with an on/off switch but simply has a reset button should it be tripped. Your comment about disconnecting the positive rather than the negative lead makes perfect sense. The trailer is presently in storage for the winter but when I pull her out and put the batteries back in I intend to disconnect the positive lead to the inverter and then see if the outlets still work on shore power. Assuming they work then I'll just leave the inverter disconnected.
Why not install a 4-way battery switch.....all off, all on, airstream on, inverter on? That way you can turn the inverter off if you want but can easily turn it back on if you want to watch TV when boondocking.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Why not install a 4-way battery switch.....all off, all on, airstream on, inverter on? That way you can turn the inverter off if you want but can easily turn it back on if you want to watch TV when boondocking.
A simple ON/OFF switch (SPST) could work just as well.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ll-168120.html

Good info in this thread with a switch installed by Wulfrat that does exactly what you want but with the option of powering the inverter if you ever need it. As well as the capability to isolate the batteries fully for short term storage.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
My inverter has instructions printed on top that says in order for the pass through function to work it needs 12V.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Disconnect both positive and negative inverter leads from the batteries.
Unplug the inverter from the 120v system. It's a simple plug in to an outlet.
That's it.