Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Cedar City , Utah
Aluminum Romex Wire?

I am planning to add an electrical outlet in my trailer. Everything existing is with aluminum romex. Where can I find more of that? Is there an issue if I add a line using copper romex? Thanks
wcpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If I remember correctly, aluminum wiring was used in the late 60s through early 80s because of the cost. It worked OK but the aluminum wire would expand and contract with the weather, working itself loose from the connectors and causing hot spots. I don't think you can get aluminum wiring anymore but you shouldn't have any problem using copper. I wouldn't mix copper and aluminum on any of the connections.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
You can add copper wiring into the mix. You need connection materials (such as light switches, receptacles, split bolts, etc.) that are rated for "Al/Cu" applications. I always coat my aluminum connections with NoOx or an equal oxidation preventative.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are installing a separate circuit for the trailer from your panel box use copper wire.

Aluminum wire has a long history of causing fires because of poor connections as noted above.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is best to tighten aluminum wire connections often. They tend to get loose then arch then burn. New copper branch lines won't hurt anything.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It is best to tighten aluminum wire connections often. They tend to get loose then arch then burn. New copper branch lines won't hurt anything.

Perry
Aluminum connections loosen when oxidation occurs and resistance increases which causes the wire(s) to expand. When things cool some shrinkage occurs thereby creating additional resistance in the connection and increased heating the next time the circuit is energized.

Re-tightening is not recommended in most instances. Here is a link to some useful information on the subject.

Electrical | The Aluminum Association

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcpawn View Post
I am planning to add an electrical outlet in my trailer. Everything existing is with aluminum romex. Where can I find more of that? Is there an issue if I add a line using copper romex? Thanks
Recommendations regarding aluminum wire are controversial and have been for years. The CPSC does not recommend CO-ALR devices. Instead, they offer three recommendations: 1) replace with copper wire, 2) use the COPALUM crimp connectors, 3) use AlumiConn connectors.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/media/documen...minum-wiring-/

COPALUM connectors are sold only to licensed electricians who have completed a product-specific training program and purchased specialized crimping equipment. Since most homes wired with aluminum branch circuits were remediated years ago, there are few electricians left who still work with this product.

The AlumiConn connectors can be purchased by anyone for around $3 each. They must be installed with a calibrated torque-limiting screwdriver or inch-pound torque wrench to achieve their maximum safety potential.

Some people believe that the CPSC recommendations are overly conservative. ::shrug::
Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I would replace any aluminum wire you can gain access to with copper. Its just better in all regards. Aluminum romex falls under the category of " tried it, it didn't work out too well, won't do that again.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have had the misfortune (over the past 40 years), of 1. having a home in VA that was wired with aluminum wiring -- which needed constant attention due to oxidation, arcing, etc., and, 2. a home in CA that was plumbed with polybutylene piping -- which as most of you know, was fine...it was the crimping devices that failed causing leaks galore and a huge class action suit. Nowadays I have only copper wiring, a house with copper pipes, and outbuildings and a trailer plumbed with cross linked polyethylene -- commonly known as PEX. I wouldn't go back for nothing. (Oh, and I wouldn't be interested in a trailer using rubber hosing for propane either...)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I did some wiring w/aluminum it is now history along w/problems, as copper took care of this.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is not something I would prefer over copper. Aluminum wire is still used a lot but not to wire small stuff. Check connections often. The grease you put on the terminals is supposed to reduce oxidation. I lived in a trailer in grad school and was sitting against the wall and it felt hot. I took the cover off the wall socket and the wire insulation was burned about an inch back from the end of the wire. All of the plugs in the trailer were like this. The landlord and I replaced all the sockets with new ones rated for Aluminum.

Perry
Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Aluminum is still used for mains cable, however I would replace any interior lines that I could get to. I have had two duplexes that were built using aluminum wire, had to rewire both to be able to get insurance on them. I have a house right now that has PB plumbing in it, slowly getting it replaced. The fittings on it fail when exposed to chlorine. House has been on a well for 25 years, and city water for 10...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The load on the wire is a big factor. If you are only using an amp or two you are probably not going to have an issue. If you are running a space heater, microwave, AC etc then replacing the wiring with copper is best.

Perry
Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Cedar City , Utah
Thanks to everyone for your comments and recommendations. I decided that I was into it deep enough that to just replace everything in copper was not that big of a deal, just a couple hours of dirty work. Thanks again.
wcpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Interesting thread on aluminum wiring. Does anyone know where I can read up on maintaining my 66 Trade Wind fitted with aluminum Romex wiring? How do I check my outlets for resistance and heat at the connections?

I thought I might replace all the outlets, clean the aluminum wire ends, and retighten. I could also check for evidence of heat melting the insulation at that time. Maybe this is not such a good idea.

I'm not at a stage where I can replace the 115v wiring. I just want to make sure I don't burn the trailer up with me inside while running an electrical space heater one night. I ASSUME my 15 amp circuit breakers will sense the high resistive load and open the circuit BEFORE things get exciting.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Actually, the circuit breakers probably won't help. The circuit breaker only knows current. 15 amps through a high resistance connection can start a fire and the circuit breaker will be happy as a clam.

If you can't replace the aluminum, you should make sure all the connections are clean and tight. NoAlox is a corrosion preventative grease with good electrical properties. It is recommended where aluminum wire comes in contact with othe metals like copper or brass.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Interesting thread on aluminum wiring. Does anyone know where I can read up on maintaining my 66 Trade Wind fitted with aluminum Romex wiring? How do I check my outlets for resistance and heat at the connections?

I thought I might replace all the outlets, clean the aluminum wire ends, and retighten. I could also check for evidence of heat melting the insulation at that time. Maybe this is not such a good idea.

I'm not at a stage where I can replace the 115v wiring. I just want to make sure I don't burn the trailer up with me inside while running an electrical space heater one night. I ASSUME my 15 amp circuit breakers will sense the high resistive load and open the circuit BEFORE things get exciting.

David
If you want to run an electric heater, consider a new single outlet circuit to the location you want to use it, and run copper Romex back to the main panel. That way you will know you are safer.

No, the CB will not protect you against heat generated in an outlet by poor connections of Aluminum wire. As long as the load is under the rating of the CB, it will be happy and supply power to a fault, or overloaded cord or the like. Many fires are caused every year, and people die, because they tried to run some high load on an undersized extension cord. But the CB was happy.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the info. I was thinking loose connection, high resistance, high current draw and pop the breaker. I can understand how 15 amps can cause a fire, either in the appliance or the wiring.

I do have 12ga copper run to a new outlet for my heater. I used a conduit as I ran the wire inside the trailer under the center bed and under the galley cabinets.

I keep looking at those old, worn outlets in my trailer. I'd like to change them out, but I don't know if I can find any that are suitable for old aluminum wiring. I'm not even sure I should pull them out, clean and tighten the connections. This aluminum wiring stuff is a bit scary in our old Airstreams.

WCPAWN, I think the folks here all agree to run your new circuit in copper. I don't mean to highjack your thread.

David

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote