Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
AGM Glasmat / Solar charging

We have a 2017 FC with factory solar and AGM batteries.
What is the best setup for always plugged in when home?
From reading I have done thus far the Xantrex True Charge 2 20 or 40 amp rated units With a temperature sensor with cable looks right?

Or....do I just plug in to house 120 and call it a day?
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Arrow Our experience...

Two Lifeline grp27's

Our first converter "upgrade" was a Zantrex...one trip and poof.

Randy @ Best Converter recommended IOTA 55a IQ4.

It only gets plugged in when needed, (below 12.2v). I'm not comfortable leaving it plugged for extended periods when nobody is in it....plus <> SWMBO.

Disclaimer....this was 10yrs ago, my replacement choice today could very well be different.

Oh, and they get removed for Winter storage.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09544.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	297190  
Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I don't recommend removing your batteries for storage unless you don't have shore power or insist on using the stock single stage Parallax or WFCO converter. With any of the modern 4 stage switching converters (Progressive Dynamics, Boondocker, Iota) you can leave them connected year round. I've had one of my campers plugged into shore power outside in Idaho since 2007 and have not changed the batteries, although they are showing signs of capacity loss on their 11th year!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I don't recommend removing your batteries for storage unless you don't have shore power or insist on using the stock single stage Parallax or WFCO converter. With any of the modern 4 stage switching converters (Progressive Dynamics, Boondocker, Iota) you can leave them connected year round. I've had one of my campers plugged into shore power outside in Idaho since 2007 and have not changed the batteries, although they are showing signs of capacity loss on their 11th year!
Thanks, that is helpful. So, the converter in my new Airstream (solar, glasmat batteries) is no bueno?

If that is so can you give a specific recommend and I'll get on it.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
After boiling away a couple of batteries in our 2002 19' Bambi (we have had it since it was new), we changed to a Progressive Dynamics multi-voltage converter/charger and an AGM battery. We also have solar (self-installed in about 2003) with a multi-voltage control unit.

We tend to leave the trailer plugged in most of the time and, when not, the solar unit charges. The battery has always maintained good voltage and, to date, has given us no problems.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
We have a 2017 FC with factory solar and AGM batteries.
What is the best setup for always plugged in when home?
From reading I have done thus far the Xantrex True Charge 2 20 or 40 amp rated units With a temperature sensor with cable looks right?

Or....do I just plug in to house 120 and call it a day?
I replaced the factory solar charger for a Morningstar unit. I can set the unit to equalise my batteries which Lifeline batteries supports. I don't use the charger/converter unless there is enough snow on the roof to block the solar panels from charging and the batteries have dropped below 60%. Even when using the trailer on plug in sites I leave the charger/converter unplugged. I have never run short of 12 volt power in the last 2 years and the batteries are better off.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Gator. I'm so out of touch with what's what so thanks in advance for your patience.

When you say "I don't use the charger/converter" you mean you do not turn on the inverter unless batteries drop below 60% right?

My thinking is that there is a battery charger in my new trailer that is utilized when I plug into 120 at the front of the trailer? Is that right and is that what the MorningStar unit would replace? The (?) charger I'm talking about can be seen by looking into a removable panel under the mattress of the front right twin bed.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Gator. I'm so out of touch with what's what so thanks in advance for your patience.

When you say "I don't use the charger/converter" you mean you do not turn on the inverter unless batteries drop below 60% right?

My thinking is that there is a battery charger in my new trailer that is utilized when I plug into 120 at the front of the trailer? Is that right and is that what the MorningStar unit would replace? The (?) charger I'm talking about can be seen by looking into a removable panel under the mattress of the front right twin bed.
Hi

Inverter = converts 12V to 120V, don't use it unless you really have to. It's just another load.

Converter / charger = converts shore power to 12V to charge the batteries. It's what you worry about in terms of running it in storage or not.

If we're talking about storage, leaving any battery unsupervised on any full blown charger forever and ever is a risk. If something goes wrong, you can have a major mess on your hands.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Clearly my parents wasted their money on my college tuition.

Got it Bob.

I've GOT to hit a AS get together so that I can ply some direct knowledge via beers and artful questioning
Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
It took a strong flashlight but it revealed that the 1000watt pure sine wave inverter lives in the space under R.F. twin bed.

What is the male extension cord coming out of the inverter?