Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
pamplico , South Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to romakdaddy
89 370 main breaker tripping.

Ok some may remember me from a while back as having trouble running on shore power...lesson: don't try to run on drop cords. got that solved and was farting around in the "B-37 wallet bomber" I had the rear air going and nothing else but the inverter/converter. I started vacuuming the back room with my trusty filter queen plugged into the dinette outlet and after about 10 mind I hear a click, the ac stalls for a split second and I notice the inverter is running off batteries again. I look further and the main has tripped in the panel box inside the rv. first thing I notice is it has a 10a breaker for the main....is this normal or should I put a higher amp breaker in its place? that seems a bit low for a main breaker if you ask me. I would think a 30 amp would be more sensible but then again I'm used to house wiring and car wiring not the combination all mixed up in a giant aluminum can. here's another picture of the spaghetti panel the main it the very top one in the upper panel...
romakdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
'89 370 GFCI tripping instantly

finished rewiring my panel yesterday and one thing I did notice is I have continuity between neutral and ground...it was like that before and I traced it to the incoming wires going to the inverter. I added the proper breakers and even bought a $65 GFCI for the kitchen/bath circuit(ouch) my problem now is that that circuit worked fine on a standard breaker but with the GFCI it trips instantly. Could it have something to do with the bonded ground circuit? or should I dig further down the affected circuit? the fridge is in that circuit too how difficult is the power connector to get to?...im still cutting my teeth on this beast so any advice is helpful...pics coming up...
BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My "breaker panel had a "bonding" screw on the neutral bar. It caused the GFCI to trigger immediately.

Remove bonding and anywhere you may connect neutral and ground on outlet or appliance. They can both be present but not connected to each other.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
mystery solved as far as the gfi tripping...my friend who is on my facebook where I also am posting progress,asked me if I hooked the neutral on the circuit to the breaker...my dumb self was like"yes I hooked neutral on the breaker to the neutral bar" he said the breaker also needs the neutral from the actual circuit hooked to a lug on the breaker....DUUUHHH!!! helps to read instructions...hooked it right and bam! it no longer trips...chalk another one up to my stupidity...lol