Old 09-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacocar View Post
Does anyone know if a power cord adapter is available with two 15 volt male ends and one 30 amp female end which would allow a 30 amp power cord to be plugged into two 15 volt power outlets? Is this combination workable?
You of course meant to say 15 amp not 15 volt.

The 30 amp is a single phase connection 120V . Not 2 phase 240v like your stove or dryer (BTW here dryers are protected at 30 amp and the stove usually at 40).

Personally I just added a proper RV plug like at the campground. It's really not that big of a deal.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacocar View Post
Does anyone know if a power cord adapter is available with two 15 volt male ends and one 30 amp female end which would allow a 30 amp power cord to be plugged into two 15 volt power outlets? Is this combination workable?
The 15a outlets you would likely be on the same circuit, which is still a 15a circuit. So no it really wouldn't work. I'm assuming you were thinking you'd just plug the 2 ends into the 2 outlets on a single receptacle.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
#30 amp hooked to house 110

Most likely will not work at all per the reasons stated in the other posts, totally violates ALL known city, county, state, and Federal model electrical codes, and is a very dangerous safety hazard.

That's why nobody sells these things!!

Install a proper 30 amp RV receptacle and do it right. If you don't know how, call an electrician and make sure he knows this is a single-phase 115 volt 30 amp receptacle. Not a dryer outlet!

This idea can easily end in someone's death, an electrical fire, or MAJOR damage to your Airstream or home electrical circuits.

AC power does not behave this way....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said rmkrum.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
You'd also have to be sure your circuits were on the same pole/phase. Different circuits in the breaker panel are on different pole/phases. If you connect across the poles then you'd end up with some seriously bad juju. Essentially a 240v direct short circuit!

Just wire in a quick 30amp outlet. It's very simple, just like a regular circuit. No worry about the confusion often had trying to wire a 50 amp rv outlet.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Just watch out for electricians that think (assume) the 115 volt RV outlet is a 220 volt dryer outlet. They don't always read the directions on the box the outlet comes in. (Second thought: they usually don't read the directions.)

In any case, this has been an issue in the past. The error toasts everything electrical in the AS, potentially. Y'all be careful out there. Double check the work with a multimeter before you plug in.

Remember, this stuff runs on 'smoke'. If the magic smoke leaks out, electrical stuff quits working. All us electrical engineering types know about this basic fact. 😀😀😀😀. Lewster will back me on this one.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
TERMINOLOGY

Electrical Breakers - have an "Amperage Rating".
Electrical Cords - have an "Amperage Rating".
Electrical Outlets - have an "Amperage Rating".
Electrical Plugs - have an "Amperage Rating".

120 VOLTS - Is available Voltage - RV language for 30Amp power.
240 VOLTS - Is available Voltage - RV language for 50Amp power.

Terminology used in questions and terminology used in answers
should be similar. The more "electrical-savvy" people should
attempt to "educate > up" those with less electrical background.

120 Volt A/C is "Single Phase"-normal residential.
(one hot wire, one neutral, one equipment ground)

240 Volt A/C is "Single Phase"-normal residential.
(two hot wires, one neutral, one equipment ground)

If a person has never worked with electrical supply, it
is best to locate someone who has experience. Using
some basic terminology will help communication.

Oh yes, be sure to turn the main breaker(largest) off before
doing electrical work around the house. You may not know
what was done before you arrived on the scene.

When adding new breaker, trip out the main breaker - and pull the
meter from the meter base outside. When you pull the meter, it should
not be energized in the house where you are working. Safety!!!

A few thoughts in an attempt to help.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Excellent post! Need more like this.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
10/2 with ground, outdoor electrical disconnect, 120v in use outdoor RV box, 120 RV outlet, 30 amp single pole 120v breaker. Parts list for you or electrician.

I am an advanced DIY and after 49 years or seeing what I knew as a 220v plug and only having a few month of RV experience I wired up a beautiful 220v outlet for my Airstream which beautifully cooked my 12v converter. Big and fairly expensive mistake. Long story short brand new 12v converter from best converters with my dumb mistake. Best Converters said this happens a lot so make sure your using 120v circuit.

The upside is I got a new 4 stage charging system with the new converter and my battery charges a lot better!

It's annoying that the RV plug will fit in a dryer outlet and the plugs are so similar as that leads you down the primrose path. I lucked out and only cooked the converter and no other systems. New system looks great and is much better. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473083937.353049.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	270863

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Bandera , Texas
FYI went to local hardware store that also carries a lot of RV equipment. Needed to install outlet opted for 50 amps in case I buy newer trailer (current FC 2010) or add 2nd AC. Long story short in visiting with store personnel discovered that he was under impression that the 30 amp was 240v. Now he knows why a previous customer destroyed the electrical in his trailer.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
It's unfortunate but an easy mistake if unfamiliar with RV's. BestConverters.com sells lots of them because of the the 220 mistake. A good surge protector has built in Idiotproofing so I'm going to buy one.

You never know what might get wired up wrong in an RV park. I learned my lesson. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
You need to add a 30amp RV outlet in your electric box, and you have to make sure that you only need a single 30amp, not the double one.

Get a 50ft 30amp cord to run to you trailer.

I have this by a local company do it for $100.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Bought my 30 amp RV outlet from a local big box store. Installed it, powered up, checked with a voltmeter, and plugged in. No smoke leaked out. Success!

The one thing I did different from the usual electrician was read the clear instructions printed on the box.

It's clearly marked on how to wire and breaker it correctly. Even though I've wired bunches of household power stuff, I don't assume anything about stuff I've never seen before.

Yes, I know I'm risking forfeiture of my 'man card' but as I learned a very long time ago in the US Navy, was to always carefully read the (favorite sailor foul word) directions/manual before you try to use/do something new...

That habit has kept me alive in more tough situations than I'd like to admit in public...😀

Old 09-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"Yes, I know I'm risking forfeiture of my 'man card' but as I learned a very long time ago in the US Navy, was to always carefully read the (favorite sailor foul word) directions/manual before you try to use/do something new..."

Yep, you can mail your man card back in. Kidding of course, amazing the skills you can pick up in the USN if you pay attention.

If people did this with the 50a outlet, it's really just a matter of putting the wires in the right place. No different than any other 240v plug. Put the wires where they belong. And they are almost obvious. How a licensed electrician could screw it up is beyond me.