Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Nice job Collimare. After the last two weeks home I'm heading northwest on a long trip. Will be stopping in the Dallas area to hook up with a new converter (3rd). We'll see. Whatever happens I'm going to follow your lead and harden my system, either with a manual switch, or a replacement like yours. So far, Airstream has been great in their help. Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
I was at JC for 2012 Alumapalooza and was floored by all the service complaints I heard by owners talking about on their newer AS units -- just bowled over by how the bottom line is affecting quality control. Nice people, paying good MONEY, and getting such poor electrical components under the gloss of these pricey icons. One more reason to purchase used -- and hopefully repaired -- AS. It seems the new owner are being treated as beta testers by supporting AS at the retail dealerships. Thor Industries and JC really need to rethink where they are heading this "child" in their lineup. Next, they'll change the exterior look and have a generic RV that performs no better that the other RV's on the road. One might as well have a Evergreen Ever-Lite, if Thor and JC can't perform any better for the customer. AS buyers shouldn't have to upgrade electrical stuff in order to keep their RV powered! At JC, the female audience really got in some good slugs ion the engineering staff about crappy workmanship and placement of items in the galley and general design plans that OBVIOUSLY were designed by men -- without female input. I think they were heard by management. I think!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
One more reason to purchase used -- and hopefully repaired -- AS.
I have only myself to blame for not doing my research before the purchase. I literally drive by Timeless Travel Trailers every day on my to and from work. I should have bought a good used 90's trailer and had them go through it and then build it out exactly the way I wanted it. I am sure it could have been done for way less than 60k+ (as the expenses just keep coming) and been light years better than my new 2012.

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS PATH TO ANYONE CONSIDERING A NEW AIRSTREAM!!
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Here we go again! My comments about the quality of new A$'s have been removed from other threads on this subject. So I will stay Mute. But buyer beware.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well I'll make a comment. I've had two new Airstreams and they're extraordinary, a joy to own.

Reader beware.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Well I'll make a comment. I've had two new Airstreams and they're extraordinary, a joy to own.

Reader beware.

doug k
Our experience is positive as well .
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote