Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
1988 25' Excella
1967 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Which comes first?

This is my first time posting but I LOVE all the advice on here. My question: what do I buy first, the chicken (tow vehicle) or the egg (Airstream)? I see one online that I really really want! Used 25' Safari twin with no dinette. There is no volunteer inspector listed for the state where it is located. It is at a dealer in a different part of the U.S.

I have had a '64 19' Globetrotter and an '88 25' Excella so I am not a complete newby. Would you advise me to fly to the dealer and examine it myself? Or put a deposit on it and wait for the tow vehicle so I can bring it home?

Want some additions done (solar, fantastic, television/DVD, substitute flooring for carpet) so should I contract the dealer to do that, or take it to a Camping World in my state?

My plans are to dump my "stuff" and be a full-timer. I had a taste of it before and it has always been my dream.

Opinions wanted!

Martha
clemdogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'd get the egg first, then get the chicken to match its size/weight.

Lynn
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
You could do a member search for the State and town the AS is at and then send a private message to the people who are the closest to the trailer. I did that @ a year ago and it worked for me. PM me if you need help. I also think buy the AS first and then but the correct TV.

Good luck!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Martha,
Welcome Home! Like you, Linda and I looked long and hard to find our perfect AS. As you know, seeing it first hand is probably Too Important a step to skip. We bought ours before we had enough truck to really pull it, but that (my opinion) was OK. We got the truck later.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I'd get the egg first, then get the chicken to match its size/weight.

Lynn
Yup, what Lynn said.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Tow vehicles are many, varied and plentiful. If you don't already have a capable tow vehicle, find the Airstream you can't pass up and then get a tow vehicle to go with it. For the particular Airstream you mentioned (25' Safari), there are LOTS of capable tow vehicles.

I haven't heard many great reviews of Camping World service for Airstreams. It's possible that there may be a Camping World location somewhere that is specifically an Airstream dealer that may be the exception to the rule, but my impression is that Camping World should be low on the list of preferred locations for service beyond the basics like electric brakes and tongue jacks that are the same for most every RV.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Martha,

Seems odd that this will be your third trailer, but you have no TV.

Maybe to "dump your stuff" could mean to cut down to only one Airstream...?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
1988 25' Excella
1967 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Good advice about the A/S coming 1st. Thanks so much for your input.

Aage - I was married to a navy guy and when he was at sea in the summer I took my 3 kids and my dog exploring in the 1st A/S. When he was posted overseas I didn't have a place to leave it for 3 years so I sold it. Then when he retired we bought a brand new one so he could have the joy. We roamed all over. But his health went suddenly bad and so I reluctantly sold the Classic Excella. Now after 16 years he is gone. I am in an apartment so it is only a matter of giving my kids what they want and selling/donating the rest.

After reading your suggestions, I am thinking of flying to the state where the dealer is and looking at the A/S first hand.

Thanks again for your advice!!!

Martha
Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sorry, Clemdogmom, I completely misunderstood: I thought that you already had two trailers in your possession, and were looking to have another one for a total of three, all at the same time.

My mistake.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdogmom View Post
Good advice about the A/S coming 1st. Thanks so much for your input.

Aage - I was married to a navy guy and when he was at sea in the summer I took my 3 kids and my dog exploring in the 1st A/S. When he was posted overseas I didn't have a place to leave it for 3 years so I sold it. Then when he retired we bought a brand new one so he could have the joy. We roamed all over. But his health went suddenly bad and so I reluctantly sold the Classic Excella. Now after 16 years he is gone. I am in an apartment so it is only a matter of giving my kids what they want and selling/donating the rest.

After reading your suggestions, I am thinking of flying to the state where the dealer is and looking at the A/S first hand.

Thanks again for your advice!!!

Martha

If you're already familiar with Airstreams, I'd say there's no substitute for taking a copy of the Trailer Inspectors' Checklist and going over the prospective trailer yourself. Then you'll be right there for any arm-twisting you need to do in the negotiations, and if there's work required to make it roadworthy and it's already at an Airstream dealer you can have them get that done as a condition of the purchase while you're acquiring a tow vehicle.

Happy trails!

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hey, David, thank you for posting the link to that checklist. I've wondered sometimes whether such a list might exist (and never even thinking that somebody on AirForums would obviously have had the same idea). I've now saved it to my drive so that I can pass it on (or even use it).

Lynn
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Hey, David, thank you for posting the link to that checklist. I've wondered sometimes whether such a list might exist (and never even thinking that somebody on AirForums would obviously have had the same idea). I've now saved it to my drive so that I can pass it on (or even use it).

Lynn
The checklist is a great resource, it was what convinced me it was time to become a Supporting Member of the forums. It's always linked from the Portal page.

The checklist was what made me feel good about my Argosy, and the threat of going through every item on it with my partner to convince him that the Argosy was a good deal was what convinced him to agree to give it a shot!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Undecided

First, you should pick out the size trailer, that will satisfy your requiements, like comfort, extra room, storage spaces, and the like.

Then, and only then, purchase a tow vehicle that will safely do the job, without going overboard. You should add a transmission oil cooler to it, over and above what may already be installed by the factory.

You don't need a super heavy duty tow vehicle, because your not going to tow the Queen Mary.

Lastly, make sure that you have the correct load equalizing hitch, with torsion sway control, again without going overboard.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Martha, Welcome to the world of Airstreaming. If you decide to get the tow vehicle first, you might consider the one my sister-in-law is just about to put on the market. She lives not too far from you in Griffin. It is a white 2008 Chevy 2500 Silverado Ext. Cab Long Bed with a 6.0 liter gas engine. It could pull just about any Airstream you might consider. Of course, it's automatic and has the trailer package. It only has 18,200 miles. My brother-in-law has developed some serious health issues and probably won't be able to drive again so there's no reason to keep the truck. PM me if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with her.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
1988 25' Excella
1967 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Bob, Thanks so much but I didn't read your message until too late. I was busy buying my tow vehicle and Airstream all in the same week.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Inquiring minds want to know....which Airstream did you get?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdogmom View Post
This is my first time posting but I LOVE all the advice on here. My question: what do I buy first, the chicken (tow vehicle) or the egg (Airstream)? I see one online that I really really want! Used 25' Safari twin with no dinette. There is no volunteer inspector listed for the state where it is located. It is at a dealer in a different part of the U.S.

I have had a '64 19' Globetrotter and an '88 25' Excella so I am not a complete newby. Would you advise me to fly to the dealer and examine it myself? Or put a deposit on it and wait for the tow vehicle so I can bring it home?

Want some additions done (solar, fantastic, television/DVD, substitute flooring for carpet) so should I contract the dealer to do that, or take it to a Camping World in my state?

My plans are to dump my "stuff" and be a full-timer. I had a taste of it before and it has always been my dream.

Opinions wanted!

Martha
Hey Martha.

It's a toss up, as to which comes first, or we really should say, "second and third".

The very very first thing is that printed stuff called "moolah".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Congrats Martha, don't keep us in suspense. I picked up a '73-25' earlier this summer that I'm in the process of going through.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
1988 25' Excella
1967 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
So I bought the tow vehicle, dodge Durango, and two days later drove from Georgia to Airstream of new England where I bought my 2002 25' safari. The dealer had put 18 pictures of it on his website. He promised me that EVERYTHING would be in working order. True to his word - it is perfect. I have moved into it and christened it "Gracecan" in honor of Elvis who soothed my nerves on Series radio while I towed back to GA.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Now that you are set with all things Airstream, please come to the Falluminum rally on the 21-23 of October if you can. It is in North GA. Also, the GA unit of the WBCCI is very active, and has a campground just north of Helen, GA. They had their last rally for the season there this past weekend, but it all starts again in the Spring.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote