Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
OGDEN , Utah
What Is It?

WHAT IS THIS TRAILER? It is 32 feet has fiberglass end caps, was built 8-61
in Sante Fe springs CA, has the numbers, 32S 105, and 126368, and
M-4 S-105-48 on the vin tag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAILER 011.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	21642  
1961WHAT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Railroad bunk house ??

I don't know what it is, but as a guess, it might have been made for use alongside a railroad track as a bunkhouse or a remote work area sleeping quarters. I can't decode the serial number from my current reference materials.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
OGDEN , Utah
What is it

My dad bought this trailer in the early seventies from A southern pacific Railroad auction in Ogden Ut, The registration says that it is an airstream,
It has Southern Pacific emblems on the front and the back. It originally had two bunks in the middle, bathroom in the back, and kitchen in front of the bedroom. My dad says that it was a supervisors trailer built for two. There were also numerous trailers at this auction back then that had eight bunks, and a bathroom but no kitchen. I am trying to find out any info or history on this trailer. My intentions are to restore this trailer
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
You probably presently know more about this trailer from the Airstream angle than anyone else does. It was likely made by Airstream's comercial division, so there isn't going to be any literature on it. You're traveling down some very narrow gauge tracks with your inquiry.

For history, you might contact the Southern Pacific (or the surviving railroad SP has merged into or been acquired by) and ask to speak to their historian or archivist. Other possible sources are retired SP employees or maybe SP railroad buffs, although they might focus more on rolling stock than on stationary aluminum "sheds". Or take your photos down to the railyard and ask to speak to anyone who knows about those old retired trailers. Good luck with your search and let us know what you find out.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
'61, I believe that the SP RR later merged with the Santa Fe RR (in the last 20 years or so). That might be a place to start with the company historian, if they still have one. Even old line companies are dropping those folks from the payroll any longer.

Got more pictures?

Fred, Santa Fe Springs, California was where one of the Airstream plants was located for a while, wasn't it? That's a heck of a coincidence.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
OGDEN , Utah
What is it

heres a few pictures, as you can see the interior is gutted. there was severe water damage to the floor and the cabinets
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TRAILER 001.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	21643   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAILER 003.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	21644  

Name:	TRAILER 009.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	21645   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAILER 012.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	21646  

Name:	TRAILER 013.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	21647  
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) is now owned by Union Pacific Railroad (UP).
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Trailer Type

1961WHAT, I think you might be able to check with the Union Pacific historian if indeed they absorbed the Southern Pacific Archives. As long as the have them there may still be time for you to research and find these trailers. Maybe you could also check with the DMV for any info they may have... (if they were ever towed on the highways). It is apparent from the one tag that they were transported by flatcar, but that doesn't mean that was the only way they were moved! But for now you could call it an Airstream Southern Pacific Supr Sleeper Special. Since you may be the only one with one of them it may never be known what they actually were called when original sold to the railroads. Just knowing they were used by crew supervisors is valuable in itself. I would give Union Pacific a call and see if they have any records that pertain to these trailers. Good luck and keep us posted on your restore work. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Not the only one!

The Feather River Railroad Museum has a similar unit, they are tracking down its history for me, when I get that, I will post it here. The trailer there was formerly owned by Western Pacific (now also a part of Union Pacific).
Old 05-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

More on Southern Pacific Trailers

The length and date of this trailer doesn't fit but in the "Wanderlust - Airstream at 75" book there's a mention of Southern Pacific Railroad. It says that Art Costello launched Operation Survival in 1964 after the economy sputtered to develop new income streams. One of the new markets was 50 custom made 38 foot crew trailers for Southern Pacific's line crews. They were larger than standard trailers and sported Southern Pacific's familar SP decal above the front window. Must have been an earlier order of custom trailers also.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote