Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #309
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good move leaving the gap. Lots of folks forget to do that when laying a wood floor.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #310

1986 27' Sovereign
Midland , Texas
Thanks for the info. The sawed off broom will certainly help. Sorry to be so long in answering. Having a hard time navigating the forum, but getting the hang of it. The cork floor just arrived yesterday and is acclimating in the trailer. She doesn't have a name yet but that could happen during the floor install. Again thanks for the info. Your pictures look wonderful. Going to give them a much closer look hope I can find you again.....

Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #311
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Hello airstreamers! I'm a newly married, seasonal national park ranger looking for the next big adventure! My hubby is as excited as I am to get rid of stuff and be full timers and leave our apartment renting behind. We have looked at a few AS and I work in the campgrounds so I tend to spend a lot more time asking the airstreams how they are enjoying the park and "can I see your space?" We are both very handy and would love to start with a 28-32ft 1970s that all things work but could use some minor adjustments like twin beds to a queen. We have a little red healer "Red Dog" that we rescued and renting is tough with a pet which has further pushed us to live a more mobile life. We work in a different park every 6 months. Is there any advice out there for US getting started? It seems like no one likes the 70s models with the bathroom in the back because it bent the frame with the weight of it full. Is this true? Also I would like to put a composting toilet in it since we may end up boondocking a lot in the winter months. Catch a shower at the gym. Just dreaming big and seeing what will stick. I would love anything about full timing too. This website has an amazing section on that so my bedtime/break time/me time is packed! Thank you in advance and I can't wait to hear your suggestions!!

P.s the elk are bulging and the aspen are in full color in the mountains!

Roberta
Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #312
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and to Airforums.com, Roberta! Lots new for you, I see. I wish you fair winds and following seas in all your endeavours, especially the new ones!

As for mid-'70 Airstreams, it's likely that something in the rear section will bite you in the butt if things haven't been kept up. And things there are rarely kept up, since it all hides quietly behind a nice aluminum cover, the belly pan.

On my TT (travel trailer) it was the pan and all the metal brackets that support the two waste tanks that dissolved, and cost me a pretty penny to fabricate. On others, you will hear of rear sag, which is what you alluded to in your post.

So, does that mean that other years are going to be without fault? No, not possible. If you buy any AS (Airstream), even a much newer one, there could be problems.

Luckily, they can all be overcome! So my advice is to read up here on models that appeal to you and when you find one that suits you, dive in, the water is warm.

ps: on all of them over say twenty years old or so, you can almost count on having to replace or rebuild all the appliances. There are two, the water heater and the furnace, that usually need replacing.

Good luck! Keep asking questions,and post lots of photos of anything you are interested in, and you will be surprised at how much you will learn here.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #313
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Hello, we own a 1994 30' AS that we used to pull with our 2002 Toyota Sienna van.
Now we have a 2008 Jeep deisel. We thank Andy Thompson & the CanAm dealership in London Ontario for educating us on towing. I suggest that you call them regarding the ability of your tow vehicle. They have a toll free number and are user friendly. I know that they deal with clients from California to Alaska. (Canada is in the middle 8-) Avoid the flames regarding the debate over trucks towing versus cars. Cars & vans can and do well. Several people that I have spoken to have said that they go no where else for a hitch. That is an essential to understand in regards to weight distribution and other factors re. towing.
Secondly, why not purchase a newer AS? You can find some that are quite cheap. Three years ago we saw 1998 35' that the fellow was asking $12,000 for. It was immaculate. That is Canada where things are significanlty higher that the States. AS have a 50 year life span.
Just a few thoughts.
We met two couples in Florida last year, one of whom had been full timing for 10 years in their 35" AS. Yes the space is nice especially in that u can get rid of the sofa and install 2 recliners 8-)
Regards
Brian
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #314
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Welcome to Airforums. The level of knowledge and experience on this forum can make reading it feel a bit like trying to drink from a fire hose. Take it as you need it, one piece at a time. Honestly, if I'd known the level of work we were getting into with our 1971 Tradewind, I might not have gone through with it. As it is, I've loved every bit of the travel and renovation. There's a link to our blog in my signature below.

We've done fairly extensive work on ours, including an ongoing changing out of all the dark brown plastic wood grain for real birch. We put in a composting toilet which has worked out well for us. Full timing with a composting toilet is a slightly different deal since there's no time to let the contents fully compost in place before disposal. Nature's Head (which we have) suggests using a separate composter to finish the composting of one batch while you are using the toilet with a new batch. That would mean having a place to keep such a composter. The contents are then safe to put in the trash or on inedible plants.

Before you plan on replacing twin beds with a queen, look at dimensions. The older trailers are narrower than the new ones and it would be tough to fit a queen in without moving walls, if you could even fit it in at all.

So keep reading, researching and dreaming. Many wonderful things are possible.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #315
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome Roberta!

I commend you for your enthusiasm and lifestyle, and hope you find a great trailer and keep finding assignments at great parks...

I'd offer recommendation to look harder at mid-late '80's trailers in 28-31' lengths, for a couple reasons.. Woodwork/cabinetry is more solid in later trailers, and appliances (water heater/fridge/furnace/A-C, stove, etc) are more likely to be with you a little longer.. In addition, frames are stronger, and less likely to give you problems.. Finally, prices for mid-to-late 80's trailer not significantly higher than prices for trailer 10+ years older... We love our '88, and after redoing internal cosmetics (blinds, curtains, carpet, upholstery..) it is a great match for our needs, and good value.. As trailers get longer than 25', prices tend to go down, since demand limited by fewer and fewer tow vehicles easily able to pull them.. You can still manage to pull a 28' or 31' trailer in "light configuration" (water/holding tanks empty, limited stuff inside..) with a 1/2 ton truck or Suburban/Tahoe/Expedition/Excursion, etc, so long as it is narrow-body model pre-1995...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #316
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
The topic of a tow vehicle is a most interesting science. Read articles by Andy Thompson of CanAmRV. The chairperson of the Ontario Airstream club towed his 30' AS to Alaska with his Sienna which gave us confidence to purchase a 30 and tow it to the rockies, the East Coast and to the gulf with no problems. A Hensley hitch is an important consideration.
When you are in the mountains a 1/2 truck could go up hill no faster than our van. Honest.
From my perspective it is important for first timers to be able to learn about and to use their present vehicle in matching it to a trailer.
Regards
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #317
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Airstreams are built to outlast any tow vehicle. Be sure to consider where your travels will take you and how much "stuff" you'll be taking. I personally like the ability to not slow down climbing mountains. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #318
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

1963 26' Overlander
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Thank you for the info.
KathrynOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #319
TIG welder

1973 25' Tradewind
Wilson , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by arandruska View Post
Hello airstreamers! I'm a newly married, seasonal national park ranger looking for the next big adventure! My hubby is as excited as I am to get rid of stuff and be full timers and leave our apartment renting behind. We have looked at a few AS and I work in the campgrounds so I tend to spend a lot more time asking the airstreams how they are enjoying the park and "can I see your space?" We are both very handy and would love to start with a 28-32ft 1970s that all things work but could use some minor adjustments like twin beds to a queen. We have a little red healer "Red Dog" that we rescued and renting is tough with a pet which has further pushed us to live a more mobile life. We work in a different park every 6 months. Is there any advice out there for US getting started? It seems like no one likes the 70s models with the bathroom in the back because it bent the frame with the weight of it full. Is this true? Also I would like to put a composting toilet in it since we may end up boondocking a lot in the winter months. Catch a shower at the gym. Just dreaming big and seeing what will stick. I would love anything about full timing too. This website has an amazing section on that so my bedtime/break time/me time is packed! Thank you in advance and I can't wait to hear your suggestions!!

Roberta
I have a 1973 25' T/W. It has the bath in the back, no sagging.
Far as the separate bunks goes, I just cut a piece of plywood to fit on the ledges on either side of the walkway, and slid the mattresses together. I was going to get an air mattress to fit, but never did. While not sleeping, the plywood fits just fine under one of the mattresses, out of the way. Also, the dog can sneak under there, providing you keep him off the furniture. I draw the line there. I won't sleep with the dog.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #320
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arandruska View Post

Roberta
Roberta,
Recently visited there on our way back from Alberta Canada. Love the park and the drive up thru the canyon from Loveland!
We own a 75 Sovereign with a rear bath. We got lucky. No rear sag or separation. It has spent all its life here in Texas, in our town. Dry climate and was mostly used as a lake cabin infrequently. Very well maintained and was set up off the ground. Purchased by a retired judge who wanted to use it on a deer hunting lease as a cabin but he never did. He put over 8 grand worth of upgrades/fixes into it over 10 years all the while parked in his barn. We looked for months, drove many miles and all the while it was right under our noses. Our 3rd trip was 4552 miles and she performed beautifully with no problems.
We are self employed and sorta semi retired as in 10-12 weeks of off time per year. Each year we add a few days...
The rear bath models if abused or neglected do have a problem in this area.
Good luck on your search, and happy camping!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #321
HiOSilver

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Wink Ceci from HiOSilver

Hey, ya'll

Your Airforums should be required reading before purchasing an AS of any style, size, or vintage! We read them and re-read them on many subjects while praying for wisdom in such a sizable investment.

We feel we made the wise choice this past December in Colfax, NC at Outdoors Mart as we proudly selected our very first "cabin on wheels, " a 2012 25 foot rear bed flying cloud. We named her HiOSilver (Away) and immediately took her out for our first of many adventures, (Deo Volente), in Williamsburg Virginia. Two and a half weeks later, another occasion arose to go glam camping as we celebrated the arrival of our first grandchild, again in Virginia.

We have been graciously greeted by our local unit and are a planning to attend our first rally with them in a couple of weeks.

Having been in Boy Scouts for almost 20 years during which all 3 sons made Eagle, we have come to love camping with a group of like minded fun lovin friends. So... HiOSilver Away.....
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #322
OregonCanuck

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Newbie Airsteamer

As a long-time Bigfoot owner, I decided to give an AS a try. Just purchased a 2012 Flying Cloud 19'er from my local dealer.
I'm anxious to attend some sort of rally here in the beautiful but rainy Pacific Northwest. I'd like to see what modifications/additions people have done. I spend lots of time in B.C. because, not only am I a dual citizen with Canada, I love the very civil and friendly people there. Very different here in Portland.