Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 AM   #1

Savannah , Georgia
Newby seeks mentoring....

I plan to purchase in the near future and work the National Park circuit. I already volunteer here on weekends in Savannah, and got the bug from my co-volunteers. It's a scarey proposition and I'd appreciate any input, ie Why an Airstream? 5th wheel or bumper pull? All the usual. Thanks in advance. Hope to see you "on the road."
jeffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tips for first timers

Greetings jeffbrad!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbrad View Post
I plan to purchase in the near future and work the National Park circuit. I already volunteer here on weekends in Savannah, and got the bug from my co-volunteers. It's a scarey proposition and I'd appreciate any input, ie Why an Airstream? 5th wheel or bumper pull? All the usual. Thanks in advance. Hope to see you "on the road."
When you asky "Why an Airstream", there are probably as many different answers as there are Airstream owners. Some reasons that people have for choosing an Airstream RV include:
  • The iconic status of the Airstream travel trailers -- particularly the riveted aluminum "classic" coaches.
  • The perceived quality of the Airstream being the "Cadillac" of RVs.
  • The long-term durability of the Airstream coach -- when compared to competitors, there aren't many with coaches decades old still being utilized for regular travel.
  • The aesthetics of the Airstream shape and design.
  • Personal or family experiences with Airstreams over the years.
  • Dreams inspired by seeing early caravans traveling through town.
  • For the Vintage coaches, the weight is much lower for a given coach length than the current coaches.
  • With a few exceptions, Airstream coaches were designed with balance in mind, and this when combined with the shape help to provide one of the easiest towing coaches to be found.
Should you be thinking of full-timing or extended travel time on the road, there are certain areas that should be considered:
  • For most of the Airstream trailers there is very limited storage available through hatches from the outside.
  • The shape of the coach can make the shape of the roof lockers such that it can be challenging to store everything.
Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #3

Savannah , Georgia
Howdy, All! I'm Jeff, and I've been doing volunteer guide work at Ft. Pulaski, here in Savannah. Most of the folks here are RV'ers, volunteers who "work the circuit" of our National Parks. They commit to 3 months at each park, do their time, then move on to the next! EVERYBODY I've spoken with loves the life!!!! I plan to retire in 3 years, am currently a Spl Ed teacher in a local psychiatric facility for kids, very involved studying the "War of Northern Aggression". Would like to work the circuit of parks that were the scene of unpleasentness, during the "War for Southern Independence."... I question everyone I encounter, and get about as many opinions as there are people. 5th wheel, vs bumper pull, fold out vs hardside, 28' vs 30', Airstream vs "The other brands." Very confusing. I'd appreciate y'alls input and experience. Looking at Diesel trucks now to replace my aged '96 Bronco. It's been a love, but like me, is ageing rapidly. Thanks for your time, call if you get down our way.....
jeffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbrad View Post
I question everyone I encounter, and get about as many opinions as there are people. 5th wheel, vs bumper pull, fold out vs hardside, 28' vs 30', Airstream vs "The other brands."
Well jeffbrad I will have to warn you that this forum might be a little bias to Airstreams. Good luck on your search!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome again jeffbrad. There are many very good brands on the market but as Lee points out you will find this group to highly supportive of all things silver.

We like Airstreams for a couple of reasons:

They are visually different.

They tend to hold their value.

We encounter two types of people in our travels: Those who hate em (think their ugly) and those who love em. The lovers far outweigh the haters and we are routinely approached with requests to see the inside, or receive "We love your Airstream" or "We always wanted one of these" comments.

Just our thoughts and experiences. Good luck in your endeavour.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Hey Jeffbrad, We just purchased an Airstream Safari 25' and are thrilled to be joining this "family" of traveling/camping enthusiasts. Our first "job" will be hosts at a campsite above Boulder, CO at 10,500'. No hookups, cell or web coverage! It's as close to "Heaven" as I'll ever get!
As you'll soon learn, Airstreams are in that rarified territory beyond comprehension. The older they get, the more desirable they become. As a newbee myself, I'm on that learning curve and only yearn for more.
mamu2cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
People always stop you and ask about it

I guess its a fashion statement in a way but owning an Airstream is a great way to strike up a conversation at a campground. People just want to know more about them and like the Classic Coke Bottle it's an American Icon.

So that may not be a good reason to own one but the is something about them that's way cool!
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Camper

A couple of years ago my wife decided that whe would like to start camping again, so we went looking at trailers. There were five different dealerships here close. When at the dealership I made it a point to get the salesman off to a quiet corner where none of their cohorts could overhear our conversation then I asked these questions:
1. If I pull your camper five thousand miles a year for the next five years what condition will it be in? Answer, the cabinets will be falling off the walls and every year you will have roof sealing issues every fall in addition to the rubber roof only is good for 4 to 6 years and costs app 6 grand to replace.
2. What will be the value of your unit at the end of the five years? They all laughed and said minimal.
3. I'm looking for a trailer that when I am too old to safetly drive anymore I can give to my kids and it will still be usable and maintain its value? Answer from all five salesman: bud you are looking for an Airstream. Three of them said that they had one up at lake (take your pick).
I went looking for an Airstream.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
We naturally like the Airstream. I have a 31 year old travel trailer in better shape than most 10 yr old SOB's (some other brand) out there. I've had a few SOB's and there is no comparison. We plan on moving up to a 30-31 footer, but our Argosy will go to one of the kids, and they can love her for 20 years or so. You can't make plans like that for a SOB.

As far as storage, I agree there is less exterior access, and it can be a challenge at times inside, but it seems to work out. After the adjustment to the AS design, we have more than enough storage.

I prefer travel trailer so I can use the bed of the pickup for other things (bikes/generator/etc)

We've never been anywhere and haven't had people walk up to ask about our Christine, or come out of a store and catch folks walking her up and down peeking in the windows....they are unique like all of us

Your here so I'd say your kinda leanin one direction already,

Good Luck

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote